Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Sheet Metal door Panel

I am going to need to make some custom door panels in a 95 BMW 318ti that I am selling to a friend of my brother. Normally I'm not a big fan of selling to friends but this is going to be his first car and he has fallen in love with it. I am thinking of going for hot rod / tuner look with a plain simple looking panel. Has anyone driven a car with a similar setup? I am concerned with it making the interior sound like a metal can.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      1963 Chevrolet Corvair Pro-Touring Project
      1964 Chevrolet Corvair Coupe Rat Rod/ Patina Thing
      2012 Mazda 3 I Sport Sedan

I was thinking of doing the same to my car and had the same concern. My thoughts were to glue a piece of thin foam cushion material to the back side of the panel. I did something similar with a switch panel I made years ago, I hated the way it sounded if you flipped a switch or touched it so I used some of that spray foam in a can to make it sound and feel more solid, for sure worked

edit:also I would be sure to use nutserts to hold it panel on, or rivets, just not sheet metal screws. Those will probably vibrate out or at least loosen over time
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

That was my thought that some sort of liner would take care of most of the noise but I wanted to see what others thought.
      1963 Chevrolet Corvair Pro-Touring Project
      1964 Chevrolet Corvair Coupe Rat Rod/ Patina Thing
      2012 Mazda 3 I Sport Sedan

Sheet Metal door Panel

Put a sheet of Dynamat behind it before you final mount it, then it won't sound like a tin can.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com