Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: Sub Box Setup

Sub Box Setup

What is the best way to set up a sub box mounted in the trunk? Ported/non-ported, front-firing, rear firing, etc, enclose the 6x9's as well, etc?

Who has experimented with more than one of these setups?
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Country Flag: United States
      What I've always been told was that ported boxes are usually louder, but you have to tune the box to the sub. Sealed boxes are quieter, but have a cleaner sound. Making sure the box is matched to the sub's requirements makes a world of difference. A sealed box will take more power to reach the same sound levels as a ported box, but in my experience will sound better.

As for front firing vs. rear firing, I'm not sure. I believe front firing or down firing would be the best option. In the system in my truck the box is down firing, but I understand that's not in a trunk hahaha
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      What is the best way to set up a sub box mounted in the trunk? Ported/non-ported, front-firing, rear firing, etc, enclose the 6x9's as well, etc?

Who has experimented with more than one of these setups?
      sealed is better for sound quality . the box acts as an air spring and you get more control over the driver. ported will get louder but will take up more room and not be as accurate. I always choose sq and go with sealed in all of my builds. I find a 12" or larger in a sealed box with ~500 wrms is more than enough for most situations and for a properly balanced system.

also, a rear facing sub using will be louder as well. it give the soundwave a longer distance to travel (bouncing off the rear wall before it reaches your ears).

as for 6x9's i'd drop them if you're getting a sub. use the money to put toward your front stage
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

I have details on this in my GTO build thread...link in sig.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      I have details on this in my GTO build thread...link in sig.

Andrew
      Where? Searched throughout, are you sure it`s in Version 2.0? Or the original build?
      17 GT350

Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor5588 View Post
      Where? Searched throughout, are you sure it`s in Version 2.0? Or the original build?
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ion-2-0/page35

Starting at post 689...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Hmm, search function has let me down yet again ..
      17 GT350

Before committing to a perminate location. try different location in the trunk to see what sounds the best. Corner loading can be your friend, firing the sub into a corner.
      I had a 8" sub in a random size ported enclosure ( not a recommended size for the sub) I was able to hit 130db with 300w. This was in a Focus wagon at the windshield. The sub was firing into the drivers rear corner.

Tim
      1971 Buick Sportwagon pro-touring project.
      1985 Ford Crown Victoria 2 door
      2000 Ford Crown Victoria

The real truth here is that there are really no rules as to what is louder and what isnt as far as box placement goes. In some cars forward can be better while the opposite may be true in others.

As for the type of enclosure. Ported enclosures will always be louder than sealed. However, sealed will NOT sound better than ported. Infact most people find the opposite. Of course it all depends on the setup. Some (very very few) woofers are only designed to be run sealed and will sound horrible in ported applications.

Personally I always always build ported unless there are some major space restraints but even with space restraints Id rather just run a smaller woofer in ported than a larger one sealed.

Bandpass enclosures are also an option if you have the available space and are amazing if designed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by PT Sportwagon View Post
      Before committing to a perminate location. try different location in the trunk to see what sounds the best. Corner loading can be your friend, firing the sub into a corner.
      I had a 8" sub in a random size ported enclosure ( not a recommended size for the sub) I was able to hit 130db with 300w. This was in a Focus wagon at the windshield. The sub was firing into the drivers rear corner.

Tim
      130db really isnt very loud..even considering what you were running there.

Most stock bose setups or similar option will end up over 130db.

You are right though, corner and side firing can make some impressive gains. But it really depends on the type of setup the owner wants. In a "pro touring" type car Id assume there arent many people who would have their enclosure built all **** eyed just so it sounds better. There is some element of aesthetics to the install most guys want.

The SPL crowd are the guys who dont care about looks at all and just go for all out loudness. Which is what I am for the most part, but at the same time my junk tends to look half decent.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com