Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Next week is Speedweek. If you're coming to town, I hope you have your reservations locked in. Temps re supposed to be in 70s and 80s in town with chance of rain in the evenings. There is still 3 feet of snow on the summit of The Peak. Looks like some of you will get to have a snowball fight in June. Be sure to wear layers if you heading up above treeline.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      TonyC@HP2

Country Flag: United States
      I have zero experience with the race, but was gonna chime in on the effects of the altitude and comment on the 'store' at the top, but High Plains has covered it all.
      We took a trip to CO Springs last year as my wife had some business in Denver. We took the Cog Railway to the top and it was beautiful. The effects of the altitude are real, but as I stated, High Plains covered all that much better than I could have. A definite must see in my book.
      Thanks for the great info High Plains, and to anyone going, enjoy!

So things are under way.

Competitor list is here: http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uplo...titor-List.pdf Sadly, only four entries in the vintage class - a cobra kit car, 2 Mustangs, and a Porsche. Once again, Time Attack 1 and 2 are the biggest classes with a lot of factory efforts present.

Day one info: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/23/2...-day-1-photos/

Day two info: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/24/p...-day-2-photos/

Day three info: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/25/2...-day-3-photos/ Motorcycle racer Carl Sorenson was killed when he and his bike exited the road in the Devil's Playground area. Additionally 6 persons were struck by lightning requiring medical attention.

Day four info: http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/26/2...ractice-day-4/
      TonyC@HP2

A new era may be dawning on the The Peak as Rhys Millen takes the win this year, a first for an electric powered vehicle, in 9:07.22. Not a new record, but certainly putting internal combustion cars on notice. Monster Tajima was second voerall , also in an electric vehicle. The current debate is now if they can ever get electric cars down enough on weight to be nimbles enouhhg for the 156 turns to match the current record.

Paul Dallenbach comes in third overall while shattering the open wheel record with a 9:36.49, besting the old record by 20 seconds in what could best be called a old school throw back vehicle using a 750 hp small block in a lowered and modified Wells Coyote chassis.

1st place in the Vintage class went to Chris Lennon in his 911 Porsche.

Unofficial results due to rain and course changes: http://www.livetiming.net/PPIHC/

Wrap up : http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/28/2...ults/#image-25
      TonyC@HP2

any idea when this will be televised Tony?
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

According to motorsports.com, they have the following schedule on ESPN 2:

All of the shows will be telecast on ESPN2 with Marty Reid calling the action.
      The schedule is as follows (all times Eastern):
      July 23, (Sunday) 11:30 p.m. to 12:30 a.m., Auto Hill Climb (cars and trucks)
      July 26, (Wednesday) 5:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m., Auto Hill Climb
      July 27, (Thursday) 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Auto Hill Climb
      July 29, (Saturday) 6:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m., Big Rigs (Class 8 Semi tractors)
      Aug. 6, (Sunday) 3:30 a.m. to 4 a.m., Big Rigs
      Aug. 21, (Monday) 5:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., Big Rigs
      Aug. 24, (Thursday) 7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m., Motorcycles (plus quads and sidecars)

Ironically, there is very little information locally on live or recorded broadcasts of the event. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised when 75% of the population here thinks the Pikes Peak Marathon is a more important event than the Hillclimb, but you would think as the 2nd oldest race in the US and the huge revenue generator it is, the local media would be all over it.
      TonyC@HP2

The time is rapidly approaching for the 100 year anniversary of the Pikes Peak Hillclimb. At the century mark, Pikes Peak is second only to the Indy 500 as the oldest running race in the United States.

The weeks activities kicked off this weekend with time attack, half mile drag racing at the old COS airport. Tech inspections begin Monday with practice through the week. Fanfest is Friday night and races start at the butt crack of dawn on June 26th.

Looking though this years competitor list, it has a few familiar faces and some somewhat odd entries.

In unlimited electric, Rhys Millen and Monster Tajima are back. Local favorites Clint Vasholtz and the Wood family are running in the open wheel division.

Of interest to readers on here, Aaron Kaufman is back with his '63 Falcon, and David Meyer running a'96 S10, both in the open division. Also in open,Mike Ryan and his 2008 Freightliner.

The vintage division is thin again this year with only three entries - Chris Lennon and his '73 911, Ralph Murdock and his '70 Camaro, and 2012 Champion Jess Neal is back with his '71 Cuda.

Surprisingly, in the time attack classes, normally dominated by the factories, are some older types of cars. In Time Attack 1, David Haski is bringing out a '83 Quattro, Tim Hardy is in an '87 BMW, Miko Katja of Finland is bringing his '79 Toyota Starlet, and William Kitchens is running an '84 Honda CRX.

Time Attack 2 is a bit thinner this year. Of course Kevin Wesley is running the 2016 Viper ACR Hot Rod Special. Stephanie Reeves also in a '16 Viper ACR, Kash Singh is in a '16 Mustang, Nick Robinson is in a '17 NSX, Furnio Nutahara is in a '15 Toyota GT86, and rounding out the class in the oldest vehicle is Jeff Denmeade in an '06 Evo.

The unlimited class brings a variety of vehicles from this century as well as drivers from all over the world including Paul Dallenbach, Romain Dumas, Richard Boake, Tony Quinn, and Rodney Tu.

Should be interesting to see the cars, drivers, times, and festivities around this years event.
      TonyC@HP2

Have to make it out to this one day. Great shots, guys.

Race is in the books.

Overall win goes to Romain Dumas in the unlimited class at 8:51:445.

Kevin Wesley finished 23rd overall in the Hot Rod Magazine Spcl, and 2nd in class at 10:39.964. Class win was Nick Robertson in the 2017 Acura NXS at 10:28.820.

Jess Neal wins vintage class for his second championship, one on dirt before paving was complete and one on asphalt. 47th place overall . Winning time was 10:39.964.

Aaron Kaufman running the Gas Monkey Garage Falcon in Pikes Peak Open class finished 67th overall, 5th in class at 12:15.484.

18 cars failed to post times on race day. Among them was Ralph Murdock in his '70 Camaro.

More results can be found here if you want to browse them: http://ppihc.livetiming.net/ppihc/
      TonyC@HP2

For anyone interested, this years race is taking place June 24th. Matchsports.com is offering a 8.5 hr live stream of the PPIHC race this year. For only $4.99 you can listen to an entire day's worth of racing and they are offering multi year packages as well. Broadcasting in HD with aerial shots, interviews, stats and more, this could be a great way to get a feel for the Pikes Peak experience without travelling up the mountain itself.
      TonyC@HP2

I have considerable interest in this years event. My very close friend Jordan Guitar is driving the Acura RDX. Sadly it conflicts with obligations at the Sonoma NASCAR race this weekend.

Only 61 race entries in the auto division this year. 24 cycles. This car count seems consistent with how I've seen the event evolving since paving and the need to reduce the time duration of the event.

Vintage class is gone. There are some vintage cars, but they are running in either the open class or exhibition. Cool old cars running this year; '36 Chevy sedan (driven by Ray Evernham), '49 Ford truck, '66 Cobra, '70 Porsche 914, '72 VW bug, '78 Porsche 911, '83 and '84 Audit Quattros in separate divisions.

Unlimited class is an international set again this year with competitors from Italy, Switzerland, Australia, UK, France, and the US, but only 7 cars.

Porsche Cayman GT4 is their own class this year with 8 entries. Travis Pastrana is running with this group.

Time Attack is biggest class again with heavy factory involvement from numerous marques.

Quote Originally Posted by mike@sim-seats View Post
      I have considerable interest in this years event. My very close friend Jordan Guitar is driving the Acura RDX. Sadly it conflicts with obligations at the Sonoma NASCAR race this weekend.
      Your buddy Jordon is entered for exhibition class, along with Rhys Millen (in a Bentley no less). Is he is withdrawing due to the conflict or are they putting in a back up driver? He has been attending practice this week, but his times are a 30 seconds to 2 minutes off from other cars. Not surprising as a rookie on the hill and consistent among other first timers. Its intimidating as hell up there if you aren't familiar with it.
      http://ppihc.org/wp-content/uploads/...ying-Times.pdf
      TonyC@HP2

A new record is set! The Volkswagon ID R electric race car driven by Romain Dumas, ran the course in 7:57.1, beating the old record set be Sebastian Loebe by 16 seconds.

Race was stopped at 3 pm due to zero visibility and hail.

Other class winners:
      Peter Cunningham, Pikes Peak Open, third overall
      Paul Dallenbach, Open Wheel, 5th overall 9:37.1
      David Donohue, Time Attack, 6th overall 9:37.2
      Ray Evernham, PPC-Exhibiton, 18th overall 10:11.3
      Travis Pastrana, Porsche Caymen GT4, Clubsport 10:33.9

Local legend Clint Vasholtz finished 2nd in class and 8th overall in a 2014 McLaren 12C at 9:52.7. Randy Pobst, who drive the Hot Rod Magazine Viper last year, was in a 2018 Mustang this year and finished 3rd in class, 13th overall at 10:02.4 Travis Pastrana was 1st in class and 25th overall, 10:33.9.
      TonyC@HP2

Your buddy Jordon is entered for exhibition class, along with Rhys Millen (in a Bentley no less). Is he is withdrawing due to the conflict or are they putting in a back up driver? He has been attending practice this week, but his times are a 30 seconds to 2 minutes off from other cars. Not surprising as a rookie on the hill and consistent among other first timers. Its intimidating as hell up there if you aren't familiar with it.
      http://ppihc.org/wp-content/uploads/...ying-Times.pdf[/QUOTE]

I was texting with him over the weekend and traded some e-mail today. Everything went well. He passed all of the rookie requirements, but sadly did not get a chance on race day due to weather. I'm not clear why you think he may have withdrawn.

I can't speak to his times other than to say the car only has 350HP, and his top priority is always to care for the equipment over turning in the fastest time. I am not certain what effort was made at weight savings. This isn't to say that he's slow... there are certainly many very good drivers at Honda R&D who could have been put into that seat, but he earned it.

You said higher in the thread the Peak race conflicted with a commitment at Sonoma. To me, that implied he may withdraw from the Peak race to honor his prior commit at Sonoma. I was simply asking which we was doing. That's why it was posed as a question rather than a statement. I have no clue what he intended to do.

I'm also not implying he is not a capable driver. Most rookies at the Hillclimb, even some of the top drivers in the world, tend to be off pace their first time on the mountain. It is a lot to take in compared to turning laps at any other track in the world, which I also pointed out as being consistent among newbies. Not knowing how much info or detail you might be have, I put the link up so you could find it and check it out if you wished. I'm sorry to hear he was unable to turn in a time on race day after shuffling his schedule around. That is a drag to put in all that work and effort only to be denied by mother nature with no shot at a do over until next year. I hope we'll see him come back next year.
      TonyC@HP2

Got it. It wasn't clear from my first post, but I was the one with the conflict. Sim Seats was doing a thing at the NASCAR race.

Gotcha. I certainly hope you can make it out next year and experience it for yourself! Will you be bringing Sim-seat demos with you?
      TonyC@HP2

Too soon to say! Sonoma was the first event we have done that required us to ship assembled units via freight (in the past we have either driven them or shipped them parcel in parts for customer orders). There was a little bit of sticker shock, so we are evaluating other options for future demonstrations out west.

I did ask the iRacing guys when Pikes Peak might be added to the software. All they would say is that they get a lot of requests for that track ;) It's length makes it a very challenging endeavor for them compared to most of the other tracks that they have scanned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com