• C5

5 10.20%
    • C6

21 42.86%
    Multiple Choice Poll.
      Country Flag: United States

Disc Brake Conversion Kit

Hey All,

Im building up a 1968 Firebird and trying to figure out what the best Disc Brake conversion set up would be. The Car has a LS3 Engine with a LGT 700 Transmission and Hotchkis suspension. Anyone have any ideas of pro and cons of disc brake set ups as well as any recommendations, experiences, or even cost efficient ideas they may have?

Thanks...

Wilwood for the budget friendly, Baer for the more premium setup.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Front Disc Brake(6 Piston):
      Wilwood Superlite 6R Big Brakes($1,791.99) vs. BAER 13" Front Pro+($2345.00)

Rear Disc Brake(4 Piston):
      Wilwood Superlite 4R Big Brake Rear Parking Brake($1674.39) vs. 13" Rear SS4+ Brake System with Parking Brake($1495.00)

Just for budget friendly I might have to go the wildwood route. I heard of individuals putting C6 Braking kits together, you think the C6 have any good benefits vs aftermarket brands?

The C6 is a good one too but the calipers do flex more than the others.
      However- what type of driving will you be doing? If autocrossing or road racing often, the C6 in the rear of yours will be better to prevent pad knock back.
      Otherwise on a street car the fixed calipers you listed will work out.

PM me with those part numbers you found for a quote, as we offer good deals on these products. For C6 stuff, Kore3 is the company you need to contact.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

I always see folks calling Wilwood a more "budget" option (though they're often out of my budget), but in my experience, their stuff is as legit as it gets, and they've been used in various racing applications for decades. I've got a set of their 4 pot FBSLs on my XR, and they've performed flawlessly and impressively on the street and in auto-x and rally-x. So given a choice between Baer and Wilwood, I know which would get my coin, but I still wonder why folks consider the premium priced Baers preferable to the "budget" Wilwoods.

C5 brakes are great for the money.

I like my wilwood brakes.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Kore3

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff70 View Post
      Kore3
      Cant go wrong with this choice
      "Keep Shifting Gears"

Quote Originally Posted by DarkBuddha View Post
      I always see folks calling Wilwood a more "budget" option (though they're often out of my budget), but in my experience, their stuff is as legit as it gets, and they've been used in various racing applications for decades. I've got a set of their 4 pot FBSLs on my XR, and they've performed flawlessly and impressively on the street and in auto-x and rally-x. So given a choice between Baer and Wilwood, I know which would get my coin, but I still wonder why folks consider the premium priced Baers preferable to the "budget" Wilwoods.
      I won't get into any specifics, but you get what you pay for. Compare Wilwood pricing to that of premium brake companies like Brembo, StopTech, and AP and you might start considering their pricing to be budget. Also consider the highest level of racing that you see each brake manufacturer participating in.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

I've got a kore3 C6 setup for my Chevelle on the front, and 98-02 LS1 Camaro rear discs on the back. The rears are a good deal, I got the whole setup off ebay for $250. Add some powdercoat, and new rotors, I'm at about $350 for the whole rear system. The fronts aren't quite as cheap, It'll probably be about $800 when its all done. But for about $1200 to have 13" front and 12" rear disc setup, I'd say its pretty budget friendly
      Last edited by WallaceMFG; 01-23-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: typo
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Tyranus View Post
      Front Disc Brake(6 Piston):
      Wilwood Superlite 6R Big Brakes($1,791.99) vs. BAER 13" Front Pro+($2345.00)

Rear Disc Brake(4 Piston):
      Wilwood Superlite 4R Big Brake Rear Parking Brake($1674.39) vs. 13" Rear SS4+ Brake System with Parking Brake($1495.00)

Just for budget friendly I might have to go the wildwood route. I heard of individuals putting C6 Braking kits together, you think the C6 have any good benefits vs aftermarket brands?
      The way I see it is this....The Kore3 C6 stuff will reliably pull a 3500 lb Vette down from 175MPH. That's probably 30-40 MPH faster than ill honestly ever go in my 67' GTO, so it should get the job done very well without issue, it's OEM engineering and for a heck of a lot cheaper than Baer or Wilwood stuff. The only drawback is that the Kore3 stuff isn't as pretty as Baer or Wilwood but for me that's fine.

I did the Kore3 C6Z51 fronts and junkyard LS1 rears in my GTO a few months back. I opted to buy from Tobin @ Kore3 without rotors and got Stoptech slotted rotors front and rear so they all match. I then got a 9" DD booster and firewall brackets from Tuffstuff, Pedal rod extension from Pirate Jack, 1" RHD S10 master cylinder off Amazon and a Wilwood adjustable prop valve. This is basically the DSE power booster combo pieced together. For the record Tobin@ Kore3 has top shelf customer service and that meas a lot to me.
      -Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

Follow this but with C6 instead of C5

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...r-67-69-Camaro
      Pete

1968 Camaro
      2009 Porsche 911 Carrera S

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543199

I have a 1967 camaro RS with a big block and th400 transmission to be installed. I'm going to put 14' in front and 15' in the back. I want to convert to 4 wheel disc brakes but don't know to much about how to spot out a good set . Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you !

Brakes are a personal choice no doubt, you cant really go wrong with any of the choices above. I looked first at cheaper aftermarket brakes before deciding on Wilwood. I almost went with Kore3 and really believe it would have been as good or better than what I ended up with. My deciding factor was that I did not like the corvette logo on my calipers. I believe the optimal calipers were on back order at the time anyway. I did speak with the guy at Kore3 and he was awesome, Highly recommended. I bought my Wilwood brakes from a sponsor here Matts Classic Bowties and they were great to deal with as well.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dagom View Post
      I have a 1967 camaro RS with a big block and th400 transmission to be installed. I'm going to put 14' in front and 15' in the back. I want to convert to 4 wheel disc brakes but don't know to much about how to spot out a good set . Any help or recommendations would be highly appreciated. Thank you !
      You might want to start your own thread.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

I have a front C6 Z51 kit from Kore3 and a Classic Performance kit on the back, which I'm ditching in favor of a rear C6 kit (340mm/330mm rotors), on a 69 Impala. It's a driver not a track car but the Corvette brakes have no trouble stopping a 4000lb car.

Tobin knows his stuff.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com