Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      That's good news! I appreciate the heads-up. I ordered a used pwm controller with the connector and wiring harness, but it hasn't arrived yet. So, I believe I won't need it, but we'll see what shows up via shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      If you already have the fan(s) and don't want to buy the C6 vette unit, I have found a supplier for the PWM module connector & terminals that should be in my hands within a couple weeks.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

To insert the new pins/wires, first remove the grey faceplate from the connector. Gently pry up on the two short ends of the grey faceplate and it comes off easily.

Using a small Phillips screwdriver, the small blue plugs can be easily pushed out and removed. Now insert the already crimped connector/wire into the now open hole until you feel it click in place

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Controller and wiring harness showed up today. Almost ready for complete installation.

The harness came with a radiator fan motor for a C6 Corvette that I don't need. Free to a good home (plus shipping). Contact me if you want it.

After much searching I have finally located a supplier for the pwm module connector bodies & terminals. I should have these soon. I don't need them all, so i'll have some for sale.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

I'll take one please.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I'll post when they get herre.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

14 gauge wires were too large for the connector, but 18 gauge worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by terrydmorgan View Post
      14 gauge wires were too large for the connector, but 18 gauge worked well.

When you're wiring this all up, I'd go the extra mile and solder all of the 10 gauge power connections from the fan, to the pwm module and to the fuse/battery/alternator. Make sure all of your grounds are bullet proof too. I wouldn't skimp on the wire here and make sure it's good GXL 10 gauge.

Heat is the achilles heal of those PWM units. If you can mount it to the frame in an area where it will get good air flow, all the better.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote Originally Posted by entropyradiator View Post
      When you're wiring this all up, I'd go the extra mile and solder all of the 10 gauge power connections from the fan, to the pwm module and to the fuse/battery/alternator. Make sure all of your grounds are bullet proof too. I wouldn't skimp on the wire here and make sure it's good GXL 10 gauge.

Heat is the achilles heal of those PWM units. If you can mount it to the frame in an area where it will get good air flow, all the better.

Electronics are all wired and mounted. Now, just need to get the ECM reprogrammed for pwm operation. I'd like to find someone local here in the Houston/Cypress, TX area. Anybody know a shop that can do this type of work?

Connector parts showed up the other day, the wire seals will show up tomorrow.

Power terminals:

pwm signal terminals:

Connector body:

I have 5 complete sets. When the seals get here I will also have ECM terminals. If you have the GMPP controller kit & want to add the Maxi fuse/breaker in the fuse box to power the fan, I can get the terminal for that fusebox as well.

I spent a ton of time trying to find this connector. If you have searched it you know they aren't available from GM.

When the seals get here I will have everything needed (except the wire) to add this fan module. $50 shipped to anywhere in the US.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

I noticed quite a few complaints about failures of this connector on the Corvette websites. It's the supply line from the battery to the pwm controller.

In the pics I saw, it looked like the connections weren't solid and had allowed some arcing of the contacts. I checked with Entropy and they told me to expect about 40 amps max for their dual fan arrangement. So, I found a heavy-duty looking connector that's designed for 50 amps (eBay for about $12.00). Not sure if there would have been a problem or not, but decided I was better off making the switch.

I noticed quite a few complaints about failures of this connector on the Corvette websites. It's the supply line from the battery to the pwm controller.

In the pics I saw, it looked like the connections weren't solid and had allowed some arcing of the contacts. I checked with Entropy and they told me to expect about 40 amps max for their dual fan arrangement. So, I found a heavy-duty looking connector that's designed for 50 amps (eBay for about $12.00). Not sure if there would have been a problem or not, but decided I was better off making the switch.

If the culprit is the connection from the battery to the fan controller, how will you incorporate those new connectors?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Sorry Andrew, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm replacing the factory connector with this high amp aftermarket connector.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      If the culprit is the connection from the battery to the fan controller, how will you incorporate those new connectors?

Andrew

Sorry Andrew, I'm not quite sure what you're asking. I'm replacing the factory connector with this high amp aftermarket connector.
      So not the connector that plugs into the fan controller, but the other connector. I think it's a metripack 800 that has the leads from the battery and the pwm signal wire.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Yes, exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      So not the connector that plugs into the fan controller, but the other connector. I think it's a metripack 800 that has the leads from the battery and the pwm signal wire.

Andrew

Maybe I'll change that connector as well to a heavy duty Deutch connector. I really dig those.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Those look like the Power and Signal power pole connectors I use-they are as robust as you can find-you won't have any issues with those!
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogbodies View Post
      Those look like the Power and Signal power pole connectors I use-they are as robust as you can find-you won't have any issues with those!
      Good to hear!

I realize that this thread is focused on how to make various OEM ECUs operate the coolant fans via pwm, but this functionality is also available in the Holley Dominator and HP ECUs. I am in the process of doing a LS swap into my 1967 Cougar and I am using the Dominator ECU.

Last night I was able to configure the Dominator to control the fan via PWM using the C6 Corvette fan and fan controller.

This will allow me to program the exact fan speed, based on duty cycle, based on coolant temperature and vehicle speed.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com