Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Another slight set back. Got the print today and I'm very disappointed with the print quality and light transmission. So I have two options: 1) take a chance and have another company print the image then try to solve the backlight issue.
      2) do a more traditional laser etching on clear acrylic with the back painted black.

1 could lead me down a path of waiting and frustrating trial and error 2 will lose the gradients on the artwork and the stealth feature when off. But will probably be a more direct approach as it's been done in the past.

I mocked up some solid color designs. I'll post them soon
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

I also had some time to rework the display. added a bar graph instead of fan speed percentage.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoAB...ature=youtu.be

i really wish that the display showed up on cam as well as it does in person. it's very clean looking

Quote Originally Posted by scott_fx View Post
      I mocked up some solid color designs. I'll post them soon
      i'll be using a black anti-vandal button to switch between the different 'modes'
      Name:  31iGbqcTVPL.jpg
Views: 1878
Size:  9.1 KB

side note: I welcome anyone with any constructive criticisms or critiques of my work. please have at it. i believe that is the best way to get a better final product.

Since a grad isn't in my future (skillset?) i opted for some solid colors. i can achieve this by adding a lighting gel between the el panel and the acrylic.
      All text:
      Name:  rXtXbF1.jpg
Views: 1920
Size:  48.2 KB

All Icons:
      Name:  3LISRyK.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  47.9 KB

Text & Icons
      Name:  q5QEtHQ.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  49.0 KB

This is a bit of a rethink.. i could get some aluminum rings cut out
      Name:  H1RoqqK.jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  58.9 KB
      inspired by the noble m600:
      Name:  Noble-M600-2010-1600-1c.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  152.1 KB

thoughts, comments, suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by manOwar View Post
      This is the control that came with my GEN II system.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...475/prd475.htm
      hmm, i'll need to dig into that deeper after i get mine up and running. when i originally talked to the guys at vintage air they said to not get gen II if i was going to design my own controller though.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Controller

i think it looks awesome! All look good , just a matter of preference and look desired. I would love to have one if it works out

I also had some time to rework the display. added a bar graph instead of fan speed percentage.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoAB...ature=youtu.be

i really wish that the display showed up on cam as well as it does in person. it's very clean looking

i'll be using a black anti-vandal button to switch between the different 'modes'

side note: I welcome anyone with any constructive criticisms or critiques of my work. please have at it. i believe that is the best way to get a better final product.

Since a grad isn't in my future (skillset?) i opted for some solid colors. i can achieve this by adding a lighting gel between the el panel and the acrylic.
      All text:

All Icons:

Text & Icons

inspired by the noble m600:

hmm, i'll need to dig into that deeper after i get mine up and running. when i originally talked to the guys at vintage air they said to not get gen II if i was going to design my own controller though.

I like the one with the ring detail, Looks great!!

If you have an opportunity to look into the GEN II, that would be great.... with limited space I have on the firewall, that was my only option. If I can't find a control astatically pleasing, I'll use the Dakota but I'll hide it in the console or something.
      '66 Mustang Fasback build in progress
      '01 F250 Platinum Edition - 1 of 2482
      '12 Mustang Boss 302 #806

I like the one with the rings. How do you turn the power on and off for the entire system?
      63 Biscayne
      Schwartz Performance Chassis

My build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ht=#post916553

Quote Originally Posted by manOwar View Post
      I like the one with the ring detail, Looks great!!

If you have an opportunity to look into the GEN II, that would be great.... with limited space I have on the firewall, that was my only option. If I can't find a control astatically pleasing, I'll use the Dakota but I'll hide it in the console or something.
      looking at some of the other controllers it looks like they are still using potentiometers to control the features. the thing that is different is that there is both a hot and a cold knob. After i get the gen iv one going i'll take some time to research more on how it works. it would require a new code or some tweaking to the existing code. If the auto temp feature isn't a concern, i think it would be a bit easier. still some mods to the code but i wouldn't have to figure out how to regulate the temp to maintain the desired temp. It's not impossible but i have to gauge how much more work it is

Quote Originally Posted by renegade6 View Post
      I like the one with the rings. How do you turn the power on and off for the entire system?
      the power for gen iv is controlled by the fan speed. when the fan speed is 0 rpm, the system turns off.

hmm.. i think i like the rings too. i'll have to find someone that can machine them now :\
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

The Rings version.

looking at some of the other controllers it looks like they are still using potentiometers to control the features. the thing that is different is that there is both a hot and a cold knob. After i get the gen iv one going i'll take some time to research more on how it works. it would require a new code or some tweaking to the existing code. If the auto temp feature isn't a concern, i think it would be a bit easier. still some mods to the code but i wouldn't have to figure out how to regulate the temp to maintain the desired temp. It's not impossible but i have to gauge how much more work it is

the power for gen iv is controlled by the fan speed. when the fan speed is 0 rpm, the system turns off.

hmm.. i think i like the rings too. i'll have to find someone that can machine them now :\

Rings for sure.
      1986 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe
      1986 Thunderbird Project SR86- https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...PER-SLOW-BUILD

I love the all icons

I'm super excited for an decent looking aftermarket controller to come out for the gen 4 vintage air units. I have a 1970 Camaro so I don't know if this will fit the controller hole but the vintage air unit has a lot to be desired. I love the look of your first design.

I like this one too. not sure of the rings for me as it wouldn't go with my cars interior theme. A clean glossy black glass with black anodized "temp and speed" knobs would look sweet..... similar to those on the noble m600 picture. I like the 3 button set up and the red dot display. would also be cool in blue. maybe make the rings an option for us that don't want them, but maybe Im the minority.

The only other thing I would say I liked is the icons below the 3 buttons instead of the words "dfrost dash and floor". To me it seems like too many words on the controller. But I love what your doing, so creative! As they are compressed do they have that red halo when on? come in blue?

what ever your final product is if you decide to sell, should sell off quick. Im watching this closely and I know it will be amazing.

Respectfully
      Mike

thank you for the kind words.

After a set back with the prints, one of the forum members has graciously offered to help me out with that aspect of the project. I have given him 5 designs for him to print out and he has suggested an alternative method that should give us better results. The 'stealth' aspect of the build may be off the table after I test it out. I'll do a comparison between clean acrylic and the smoked.

here are the designs that we ended up with:
      http://1drv.ms/15gc0DZ

The rings can be added or it can just be clean and smooth. The buttons are momentary, so they don't actually lock down into the position. they will light up though, that 'gray' ring will be the lit area.

blue is possible but the issue is the dot matrix display. i was able to locate one company that had 1 blue unit in stock with no plans on future stock (i think it was like $70 too). The other options would be orange and green which seem to be more readily available. The company that makes the units sells them in lots of 100 (or maybe it was 1,000) so blue isn't a real option right now.

dont think i updated this thread (dont want to post too much to annoy everyone) but here is the latest controller video:
      http://youtu.be/UoABSKZuVBs

i changed the 'percentage' on the fan speed to a more palatable bar graph

As far as the size thing, i'll have to figure out the printing procedure but i dont think it'll be much of an issue (at least on my part) to move the elements to a different location to meet the needs of other cars. I dont think i'd really be up for a total redesign... but for the option's i already have, they are built in a way to make it easy to adjust. The buttons and knobs can be mounted in any configuration though. they will be broken out from the pcboard and attached via wires. I'll have to figure out a way to mount the display though. There may be a need to have a little work that people will have to do to get it to meet their particular application.

I've been asking around on various forum about implementing the auto feature. it seems like oem's use a very sophisticated approach to it

The modern AC system you see in many cars now has a temperature control calibrated in degrees C or F. However, this is just a fiction presented to the occupants so that they think they understand what it is doing. The actual system is controlling a large number of variables which add up to a perceived temperature. If you were to put an actual thermometer in such a vehicle, you would find surprisingly large variations.

All of these new cars have a black dome on the dash, usually in the center, pushed forward near the windscreen. This is an insolation sensor (sun strength.) It is measuring the amount of heat coming from the sun and modifying the AC cooling to compensate. Without this, you will feel hot on a sunny day and cold on a cloudy day even though the air temperature is the same.

The computer also does other smart things like not blasting you with hot air when you start a hot car: it waits for the AC to begin to work on cooling the air in the vents before it goes to full blast on the fan.

Every car manufacturer spends millions of dollars calibrating these systems for each different model they make. There isn't a plug-and-play solution that just works.
      i'll do some testing but what may end up happening is that i'll just monitor the temp coming from the vintage air unit and have my controller maintain what temp (at the vent) that you dial in on the controller. it'll be up to you to adjust it to the comfortable temp. so it'll be sort of a semi-automatic system. it'll maintain the set temperature regardless of external ambient temp. if that makes sense
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

duplicate
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

You'll definitely have me beat Scott. I started making a wood surround console eliminating the all too common billet faceplate, but retaining factory controls. Knobs not fully mounted in pic, will protrude approx. 3/4".
      Maybe in the future I could add little surrounding lights like the Noble?

Hey Scott
      Do the make a white dot matrix??

Working on some custom controls for my vintage air

Unfortunately they don't. Green blue and Amber are what I can get my hands on. The product. That would be ideal. Then we could change the color with lighting gels.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

In waiting on the prints still, but I had a chance to solder the board for the display. It'll attach to the micro controller via a ribbon cable. Also it'll be socketed for easy updates.

We are in the final weeks of production on furious7. After that hopefully I'll be able to work on it a bit more.
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Did you ever get this finished? I absolutely love the simplicity of this design. Can you possibly provide a list of components if you aren't thinking about marketing? What kind of micro controller are you using? Something like a Arduino with C# code? Do the knobs directly control the pots and VA system and then the micro controller just displays? Is VA's unit set up for toggle through signals for the vent selection or is that something you're implementing programmatically? Like each time the button is pressed you select a different voltage? I would love to replicate if possible! Thank you! Definitely a product that is very needed in the aftermarket!

Same here, any updates.
      67 Camaro

Dang! Those are nice. I'm like the other guys where are you at on these? I know I'd be interested. I'm sorry the first design didn't work out, but I really like all of them. Keep us updated please!

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

C'mon, you can't leave us hangin'... lol

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com