Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

QuickTime bellhousing to ls3 how to align

Okay so I know you use a dial indicator but after reading some post it seems line it won't work for a t56 since unlike the tko, I saw in one post you have to remove the faceplate then bolt that onto the bellhousing and check the run out that way but cracking open a new 3k transmission doesn't sit well with me.
      also the ls3 I pulled out still had the old dowels in the blocks can I just bolt it up to those and be okay?

Country Flag: United States
      Sure you can just bolt it all together and hope it all lines up. But to do it right you need to dial in the bell housing. I was also concerned about taking the front plate off of my new T56 Magnum but you get over it and do what you have to do. I had to install .014 offset pins in order to get to .002 total runout but now I know it is right. A bit of advice, if you take the front plate off and dial in the BH when you reinstall the cover on the transmission case just wipe a thin coat of Ultra Black RTV on the case sealing surface. Less RTV is better than a heavy bead. I have not had a single drip out of my T56 in 2000 miles now.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Sure you can just bolt it all together and hope it all lines up. But to do it right you need to dial in the bell housing. I was also concerned about taking the front plate off of my new T56 Magnum but you get over it and do what you have to do. I had to install .014 offset pins in order to get to .002 total runout but now I know it is right. A bit of advice, if you take the front plate off and dial in the BH when you reinstall the cover on the transmission case just wipe a thin coat of Ultra Black RTV on the case sealing surface. Less RTV is better than a heavy bead. I have not had a single drip out of my T56 in 2000 miles now.
      I suppose if I have no other choice I'll remove the front cover and dial it in. I'd rather go through all this trouble while the engine and Trans are out of the car then have horrible vibrations/hurt the trans

Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post
      I suppose if I have no other choice I'll remove the front cover and dial it in. I'd rather go through all this trouble while the engine and Trans are out of the car then have horrible vibrations/hurt the trans

Looking at my QuickTime, I don't see why I couldnt align the bell without the trans. The hole is round

Fwiw, I agree aligning the bell is important, but Tremec only seems to require it for the tko and yes, gm just slapped them together for the last 20 years

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by 71maroesteban View Post

Looking at my QuickTime, I don't see why I couldnt align the bell without the trans. The hole is round

Fwiw, I agree aligning the bell is important, but Tremec only seems to require it for the tko and yes, gm just slapped them together for the last 20 years
      because the t56 uses dowels on the faceplate to aligns itself so doing it the tko way won't align the trans. I'm just going to take my engine and trans to a speed shop and have them align everything since I don't want to risk damaging my 3k trans

Not as difficult as its made out to be... I was limited with the arms on my dial indicator so it was a little cumbersome, but got it from .011 out to .001
      Used black RTV to seal the front plate back on.

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Not as difficult as its made out to be... I was limited with the arms on my dial indicator so it was a little cumbersome, but got it from .011 out to .001
      Used black RTV to seal the front plate back on.

What did you re-torque the bolts to? I always worry about that kind of stuff too.

The spec is 26ft-lbs... I went a little more. Some other things I learned when doing this:
      Torque all of the bolts that hold the front plate to the bell and the bell to the block. When dealing with .00x" of run out, it makes a difference. And you WILL be taking this stuff apart many times to get it right, so try to use the same torque values each time to minimize variance in your readings.
      I used Moroso offset dowels. After scratching my head a few times, I realized the screwdriver flat in the face has nothing to do with the orientation of the offset.

-Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com