Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Evaluate my frame table!

Playing around with Sketchup and designing a frame table. It's a big 'un, 17' long, 6' wide, and 3' tall. 3X3 square tubing with 3/16 thickness. Main use will be for my '86 C10 (hence the length) but I'm sure it will be used for other projects down the road. Let me know what you think and ideas for improvement.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Why the huge cantilever over the end legs? Push them out further to get the triangulation out to the end of the table. What do you plan to use for the working surface?
      I used 6" x 6" H beams on my jig tables. Anything can be clamped to them and the also slide along the 3 x 3 tubing for adjustability.

I also made a layout table that sits on top of them. This is used to align chassis parts and fixture components.

You will also notice my tables are on casters and they are two individual tables. When in use as chassis jigs they are leveled with screw jacks on each corner. Otherwise they are used as work tables and are mobile.
      Mark
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

I have designed, on paper, another table where I put my legs between my crossmembers and have the girders (forgive me if my terminology is not correct) going as you suggested. Of course, I didn't remember that when I designed this one and lets just say I'm not "fluid" with Sketchup yet!

As I thought about it, I did reason that there would not be much weight past the outer girder. I plan on mounting the body to the frame table where I want it (ride height and all), putting my components (axle, tranny, engine, etc) where I want them, then building the frame around everything. The radiator core support and rear axle would be the furthest out components with much weight on the table, and neither would be at the complete end of the table. The axle would be very close to the girder support and the radiator core support would be, probably, just a touch past it.

I had some responses on Lat-G about using 4x4 and/or not having as many permantent crossmembers. I'm considering 3 permanent crossmembers with multiple adjustable, removable crossmembers. Possibly even drilling and tapping a line of holes to bolt them in squarely.

Honestly, I'm just playing with Sketchup and trying to put up an image that more people can relate to in regards to the design I've been toying with for a while on paper. I would really like to get good with modeling to where I could build my pickup without touching a welder or cut-off wheel. Your Astro build has definitely been an inspiriation, although you probably modeled your body in the time it took me to make a 3x3 tube!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com