Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Electric Fan sensor

I have no ports available to run my electric fan sensor probe. Could I get one of these and run it into there?

http://www.jegs.com/i/Meziere/680/WN0028C/10002/-1

must be a tough question.

Lol....I noticed too that there never seems to be a lot of activity on this board these days....not like 6-8 years ago anyway. But yes, that will work. I like to use a GM style double threaded stud to secure the housing and then I run a HD 4ga ground cable to it to insure a good ground. I also like using double threaded aluminum t-stat housing.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogbodies View Post
      Lol....I noticed too that there never seems to be a lot of activity on this board these days....not like 6-8 years ago anyway. But yes, that will work. I like to use a GM style double threaded stud to secure the housing and then I run a HD 4ga ground cable to it to insure a good ground. I also like using double threaded aluminum t-stat housing.

Thank you, greatly appreciated.

Here's another option for ya-I installed (2) 3/8" NPT GM style temp switches in the housing itself. I build 4ga charging system upgrade kits so I include a HD ground cable with them as well. Here, it serves to ground the battery to engine and provides a very solid ground for the temp switches too.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Quote Originally Posted by H2Ogbodies View Post
      Here's another option for ya-I installed (2) 3/8" NPT GM style temp switches in the housing itself. I build 4ga charging system upgrade kits so I include a HD ground cable with them as well. Here, it serves to ground the battery to engine and provides a very solid ground for the temp switches too.
      I have thought about doing a setup similar to that.Also thought about drilling a hole in front of the intake below the thermostat housing....

The meziere solution is better because it reads temp before the thermostat.

A Dakota Digital fan controller runs off the sending unit for the gauge and is fully programmable. Solves a bunch of problems.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Ideally, the water pump inlet should determine when the fan kicks on IMO. I prefer to allow the t-stat to open and give the radiator a chance to provide cooling via forward vehicle movement. Why have the fans kick on before the radiator has had a chance to do its job? A typical engine will build 15-20 worth of combustion heat alone so I don't care as much about the temp going out as I do the temp coming in-this makes a huge difference @ higher speeds. Either way works, but if say you are running a low temp switch (say 195/180) in the intake or before the housing as you suggest, and if that same engine is running a 195 t-stat for example, the t-stat is already opening (maybe not 100% flow but at least 60-75%) to allow the flow of hot coolant BUT why not trigger the fans to come until AFTER the coolant has made its journey through the radiator? A lot of newer vehicles have "water pump blocks" where the fan switch is threaded near the engine coolant inlet for this very reason. Like I said both ways work, but I like to think the later is more efficient but not always easy to modify.
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

:Shrug:

GM uses the CTS in the front of the head on the LS engines. They seem to think it's okay. I am not aware of Gm using inlet temperatures for anything.

I understand what you are saying, and it makes sense, but I don't care what the temp is in the radiator, the engine is all that matters to me, so I use engine temp to control the fan.

I like the Dakota controller, programmable for on/off. If Tstat is open at 195, fans come on at 205 or 210 and off at 198. Tstat controls minimum temperature, the fan controls maximum.
      Donny

The biggest snafu imo is using a really low temp switch for the fans and a higher rated t-stat-such as a 185/170 fan switch with a 195F t-stat.
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Agreed!

Donny

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com