Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

A/C Compressor for LSA on stock subframe

I am running an LSA with a stock subframe using the holley motor mounts and headers. I have everything ready to go and working together except I cant figure out for the life of me how I am going to get an A/C compressor to fit without serious modification. The holley motor come pretty far forward really limiting how much depth I have for mounting and since I am running the corvette accessories they are very close to the front of the motor. Any ideas?

Country Flag: United States
      Not sure if this helps or not:

http://southernperformancesystems.co...r-kit-lsa.html

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I believe Kwik Performance makes a bracket for the AC compressor only that relocates it up higher.
      1971 Firebird
      2017 Slipstream SS

I have an LSA motor and I used Street & Performance to put together my accessory drive, including an AC compressor from Sandeen. Here's a pic of the compressor mount from S&P. It's similarly located high on the passenger side, much like Kwik Performance. I also installed the Kwik Performance compressor mount on my son's 69 Camaro (LS1 Corvette motor), and it looks like it may fit the LSA too. Qwik Performance lists it for a number of LSx applications, but doesn't specifically identify an LSA application. I'd check with Qwik Performance before buying it. Both companies have been very helpful with my installations.

1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Yeah I just bought all the stuff the more or less upgraded factory setup. ATI pulley, Metco bracket, 50mm idler, 100mm idler, belts all the fun stuff. I assumed I could notch the frame and low mount the a/c but it looks like the holley motor mounts are going to be in my way. I dont want to change my entire setup at this point unless I have no other option.

Name:  IMG_8377.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  85.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8378.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  91.1 KB

Name:  IMG_8381.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  84.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8383.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  IMG_8382.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  IMG_8385.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  60.4 KB

Name:  IMG_8385.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  60.4 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Has anyone found a solution to this? I have a LSA setup going in my 72 and would like AC.

John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
      Has anyone found a solution to this? I have a LSA setup going in my 72 and would like AC.
      I think it is Concept 1 or notch your frame etc. I was able to modify the Vintage Air Corvette bracket to fit a side exit Sanden 508 low on the passenger side with my Art Morrison subframe.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      No, and now I wish I hadn't haha. That's quite a bit out of budget for me on just FEAD. I already have the GMPP modified CTS V setup, hoping to add AC to it without going "all in" like the concept one setup. Thanks though, definitely would have been a good option if I was not already way over budget.

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      I think it is Concept 1 or notch your frame etc. I was able to modify the Vintage Air Corvette bracket to fit a side exit Sanden 508 low on the passenger side with my Art Morrison subframe.

Don
      I actually talked to Kwik today and they are about to start producing a low mount that goes on the corvette spacing for a sanden mini compressor that might not need notching. Hoping to find out more this week... I'll be second to install one if it works haha.

The only way you might be able to get away without a notch would be to run the small sanden compressor down low but run it on the main accessory belt kinda like this setup but with the small compressor.

http://www.lsenginediy.com/wp-conten...2015/03/37.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RLJ676 View Post
      No, and now I wish I hadn't haha. That's quite a bit out of budget for me on just FEAD. I already have the GMPP modified CTS V setup, hoping to add AC to it without going "all in" like the concept one setup. Thanks though, definitely would have been a good option if I was not already way over budget.

I actually talked to Kwik today and they are about to start producing a low mount that goes on the corvette spacing for a sanden mini compressor that might not need notching. Hoping to find out more this week... I'll be second to install one if it works haha.
      I think the displacement of that mini compressor is a fair bit lower than the 508 style. You might want to check with VA regarding cooling abilities with the smaller compressor.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com