Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Threaded coil spring adjuster question.

My 68 Camaro has been in a shop for a few months getting some work done on it, and while it's there I keep throwing new projects their way. I had some threaded coil spring adjusters and new springs laying around the garage, so I sent them along to have them installed while they had the front end apart. I went by the other day and noticed that they were installed with the adjusters on the A-arm side of the spring, not up in the spring bucket like I thought they were suppose to be. I like the idea of how accessible the adjuster is installed like that, but I was wondering if anyone with experience with this kind of set-up knows if it will cause any problems to keep it this way.

It's a VERY reputable shop, but I just wanted to check with anyone who might have some experience with the threaded adjusters. Any thoughts?

Name:  IMG_4009.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  142.1 KBName:  IMG_4015.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  199.4 KB

Country Flag: United States
      I mounted mine up in the pocket , I thought it would keep the dirt out . ( Maybe not much of a difference).
      Another thing to consider is that the spring pocket and the a-arm are not flat where the spring contacts them .
      The surfaces curve and slant to provide a real "pocket" for the spring on each end.
      The spring adjusters are flat , so the need to be cut at an angle to fit in that pocket.
      My shocks are pretty fat in diameter , and they wouldn't clear the adjuster at the bottom.
      The hole in the adjuster is just barely larger than the shock.
      As the suspension moves , the shock changes its angle and rubs against the inside of the adjuster.
      Make sure everything clears.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Jeff,
      Thanks for the information!

My adjusters had already been cut for the slant. I will need to buy new shocks soon (they left whatever was on there before), I'll keep the size issue in mind. This is all a temporary set up while I build a new subframe with coil overs as the time and funds allow. The shop made it sound like everything clears as is. I'll have to be careful when buying new shocks.

Any recommendations on a brand or model of shock absorber that are on the thin body side?

Me too.
      Mine was temporary 6 years ago, lol ...
      I got sidetracked into C6 Z06 and Fixxer Upper House Land.

I am currently using Hal Carrera / QA1 single adjustables , but I would go with a ridetech shock if I had to do it over again.
      I don't know how thin the body of a ridetech shock is , but they are top notch quality and customer service is second to none.

Good old cheap parts store stock replacement shocks are thin diameter too.
      It depends on how long you want to keep this combination and what you're gonna do with it.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

Thanks again, Jeff!

Those remind me of the ones Tyler sold when he had ATS in Vegas.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

I'd be concerned about shock clearance. Not so much with stock shocks, but I wouldn't do it with aluminum bodied shocks. A bilstein steel shock should clear, they are thin. There is a larger ID threaded adjuster made. It's black powder coated.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Thanks for the info David, I'll check it out.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com