Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

LED vs HID Headlamps

I'm trying to figure out the best 5x7 headlight setup for the wagoneer I'm restoring.

I'd like to custom make some HID housings but JW speaker sells an LED headlamp kit as well.

Anyone have an preference? Done any back to back comparisons?

I like LED's because theres no bulbs to replace. Seems like most of the aftermarket HID kits out there are junk- you need to spend some good $ for the good ones.
      TruckLite sells the 5x7 too I think, which are LED.

Can't comment on the comparison, but the TruckLite stuff is pretty nice.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Check out Dapper lighting. They have a standalone HID setup for lots of applications. I'm running their HID kit in my 67 camaro and love the bright lights and clean cut off

I have used both HID and now LED. I can tell you the LED is hands down simpler to install, the light is instant on with no flicker like you get with an HID and the LED runs much cooler with less current draw. The LED light is crisp and illuminates the road as well if not better than the HID. I'm currently running the 7"dia Trucklites and I love them!
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Country Flag: Canada
      Not too off topic, but where can I buy crimpable H4 connectors? I don't want pig tails.Thanks.

Another vote for Truck Lite LEDs. I'm running the 7" round ones in my '68 Camaro. Their lighting is "a bit" better than an old sealed beam.

The best part: They look super cool when they're off. I've got more compliments about my headlights in the past year than anything else.

While I have no personal experience but while researching this topic I've read that some LEDs have an issue with ice forming on the headlights due to not generating enough heat. More than likely not an issue for a pro-touring vehicle but something to consider.

I'm planning on LEDs or my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Mc Mahon View Post
      Not too off topic, but where can I buy crimpable H4 connectors? I don't want pig tails.Thanks.
      http://www.cycleterminal.com/headlight-connectors.html
      Steve - 1970 Roadrunner

LED's on a Wagoneer? That's a first. What next, an LS3?
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Country Flag: Canada
      Thanks for the terminal link! Good stuff there.

Be wary of those junk ceramic connectors a they're are as brittle as dried toothpaste! The reason they sell the thin gauge brass terminals with them is because the HD Delphi terminals I like to use don't fit in them-and oftentimes I upgrade to 12ga wiring to the lights. Here's what I use:
      HD Delphi OEM style sealed beam to H4 adapters.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

I was looking into doing the BMW housings with HID route, but if I found some LED housings that I liked I might go for them. I don't really care for how the JW speaker ones look. I like the Truck Lites better but I can't seem to find a 5.75" housing.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

Keep in mind if you opt for any type of upgrade in the future, I think the HID kit may be the better route-I wonder if the LED lights can "fade off" after they're shut off? I have that feature integrated with a off delay on my Shortbox project-if its just on/off you want, then LED may be a bit cheaper.

Attached Images Attached Images  
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com