Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Why were you trying to angle it into place? The intercooler tucks in behind the core support.Name:  20150503_200305.jpg
Views: 2284
Size:  239.5 KB

Then I just trimmed a little from the back of the latchName:  20150503_183150.jpg
Views: 1827
Size:  183.4 KB

Name:  20150503_200255.jpg
Views: 3185
Size:  277.3 KB

What year is your car ? Mines a 69 the latch might be different. It looks close to mine.

My heat exchanger had to be pushed up because the bottom was hitting the radiator support. Did yours hit the bottom right side of the Support? So I pushed it to the top of the slots on the lower bracket. Notching that top center piece might help me a little.
      Wayne
      Car FINALLY home !!!!!! lol
      Project FNQUIK https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ghlight=FNQUIK

Mine's a 67. I see what you're talking about now. I did not have a problem with the heat exchanger hitting the core support structure. Here's a better picture showing how the bottom fits.
      Name:  20150509_103302.jpg
Views: 2124
Size:  257.3 KB

On mine the brace that runs down from the latch had to be trimmed about 1/2" at the top to nothing at the bottom. Yours looks good, I'll try it a little more but it needs a lot to not contact it. Thank for the info.
      is That an LSA ? it sure looks pretty in there I can't wait to get mine in. Started changing the base pan today.

You need to start a build thread!

Wayne
      Wayne

My latch just needed a little trimming at the top and I had to make a relief cut on the tab that holds the spring and bend it in a little. You can kind of see the bend in the pic above. I also cut a little groove in the metal tab at the opposite end of the spring and re-positioned the spring such that it is always under tension. With those changes I am able to fully open the latch and the hook just touches the condenser in the open position.

Yes, that is a LSA. I have all the plumbing under the hood done now. I'm going to put the exhaust in over Labor day weekend then start working on the wiring. One of these days I'll start a build thread.

Here is what mine looked like during the install...

I would suggest just bending the 90* aluminum bracket at the top to push the unit closer to your radiator.
      '69 Camaro Coupe, Full Ridetech stage 3 suspension, moser wavetrac 12bolt, Forgelines, Ls3 T56 Magnum and once again tuned by Ed!

'69 Camaro Convertible, all DSE Stuff, LME 430 LS7, tuned by Ed Hutchings and built by http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com/

The top of the intercooler is almost touching the radiator support already. I had a 3/16" thick magnet in behind it to keep me honest, its laying right on it now.
      Matt did you trim the top brace with the hole in it to make it fit ? I had to.
      Wayne

Nope, just a little trimming on the verticle part of the hood latch.
      '69 Camaro Coupe, Full Ridetech stage 3 suspension, moser wavetrac 12bolt, Forgelines, Ls3 T56 Magnum and once again tuned by Ed!

'69 Camaro Convertible, all DSE Stuff, LME 430 LS7, tuned by Ed Hutchings and built by http://www.gforcedesignconcepts.com/

C&R heat exchanger for LSA motor in a 1969 Camaro

Hello
      Is a reservoir needed for the heat exchanger?

The CTS-V and ZL1 Camaro do not use reservoirs. Just small fill caps. I don't see how they make much difference unless you are making very short runs on the track.

Don

1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Hey Guys, I know this thread is old, but I'm mounting the C&R piece this weekend.... I ordered from Summit and got the heat exchanger and top mounting bracket only. No other hardware/spacers or instructions. I also didn't get the bottom mount where the 2 peg legs go in. I can get around the hardware and figure out how to install, but really need the bottom mount. Am I missing something, or did I not get all the stuff....

TIA - Derek

Derek, I got mine straight from C&R and my bottom bracket was missing, I'd call Summit they are usually good with stuff like this. Mine had the grommets and hardware. Tell them everything that is missing.
      Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Motown 454 View Post
      Derek, I got mine straight from C&R and my bottom bracket was missing, I'd call Summit they are usually good with stuff like this. Mine had the grommets and hardware. Tell them everything that is missing.
      That's what I thought!! Thank you sir!!

I'm in the process of putting this unit in my 69 with the VA condenser. Having a hell of a time getting the hood release to fit in there without it hitting the condenser. I have the L bracket on the inner(car side) on the rad support to help with clearance. I also have notched my condenser on the top.
      Can one of you guys help me out with getting the factory hood latch to fit? I already did some cutting on the back of the release to try and help with fitment, but it seems like I'm out of options for the factory one.

Does someone got pics of theirs fitting in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by SidTheKidd View Post
      I'm in the process of putting this unit in my 69 with the VA condenser. Having a hell of a time getting the hood release to fit in there without it hitting the condenser. I have the L bracket on the inner(car side) on the rad support to help with clearance. I also have notched my condenser on the top.
      Can one of you guys help me out with getting the factory hood latch to fit? I already did some cutting on the back of the release to try and help with fitment, but it seems like I'm out of options for the factory one.

Does someone got pics of theirs fitting in the car?
      My Latch wouldn't even come close to working. I ordered a screaming performance cable operated latch. Just got it a few days ago, so hopefully it will be ok.

You can see in post #41 the cuts that I had to make in the latch in order to get it to fit. I made two cuts, one that allowed me to bend the spring arm in slightly and another cut on the upside down U shape. That left me with about an eighth of an inch gap between the latch and condenser and still allowed me to open the latch to the full extent. The hook just touches the condenser when I open the hood. I believe the latches are the same for 67-69 with just some slight modifications for the release handle.
      Name:  hood_latch_clearance.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  357.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      You can see in post #41 the cuts that I had to make in the latch in order to get it to fit. I made two cuts, one that allowed me to bend the spring arm in slightly and another cut on the upside down U shape. That left me with about an eighth of an inch gap between the latch and condenser and still allowed me to open the latch to the full extent. The hook just touches the condenser when I open the hood. I believe the latches are the same for 67-69 with just some slight modifications for the release handle.
      Name:  hood_latch_clearance.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  357.0 KB
      I see the U cut, but which other cut did u make?

Also seems like the mechanism which is closest to the condenser is slightly different on yours (67) than my 69.

See how the arm is bent forward slightly and I also made a new pocket for the other side of the spring since the spring was too long after bending the arm forward.
      Name:  spring_mod.JPG
Views: 1452
Size:  63.3 KB
      I looked at some 69 latches on the web and I see they may be different enough to cause clearance problems.

Quote Originally Posted by blitzer454 View Post
      See how the arm is bent forward slightly and I also made a new pocket for the other side of the spring since the spring was too long after bending the arm forward.
      Name:  spring_mod.JPG
Views: 1452
Size:  63.3 KB
      I looked at some 69 latches on the web and I see they may be different enough to cause clearance problems.
      I see now. Thanks. Ill look so see if that could benefit me. Otherwise I might be going to a cable release.

@bullletcustoms, post some pics if you could of that when you get it installed.

Instead of starting a new thread... I know the statement about regarding the fill caps, but would prefer to add a reservoir to add ice into for short drag strip fun.

Anyone have a pic of how they did their's ? Or a link to maybe a pre-formed tank for a certain area of a 1st gen? My battery is in back so I have that whole battery tray area ready for it.

Also, has anyone found a tank/pump combo that would work? There are dedicated nitrous fuel supply cells with a fuel pump in them to make packaging really easy. Just wondering if anyone did one for the reservoir option.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com