Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Upgrading Factory Seats

Originally I was thinking of putting a set of new GTO seats in my 70 w/ red interior ( http://1badgto.com/fitting-modern-gto-seats.html ) but not sure about the flat new leather look. Has anyone tried installing new seat skins over modified seat foams on original bucket seats? I like the feel and support of new-car seats but also like to keep the traditional feel of OEM-type material. My back seat is original and I was considering cleaning and keeping it.

Another option would be to wrap the old seats in real leather, but again you would lose the OEM pattern look. In either case I have seen many guys do it in black or brown, but I'm thinking red may be a little trickier.

TMI is doing this for Chevelles ( http://www.tmiproducts.com/category/...les/chevrolet/ ) but nothing else yet, I was thinking of giving them a call.

Thoughts?
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Seen them in person, ive been dealing with them for years, the seats are nothing short of awesome.
      Great price point and the work and customer service is second to none

Country Flag: Canada
      I will be going with TMI when I redo the interior in my Beaumont.

EDIT - After seeing the GTO seats recovered in blue later in this post I may be reconisdering TMI... The blue GTO Seats look awesome in the '65 Skylark

Country Flag: United States
      I've got a set of these in my car. They are Scat Procar somethings (Jegs sells them) and they are great. They look pretty stock and really hold you down.

For the money they are great.
      Attached Images Attached Images  
      John McLoughlin
      1970 Pontiac Lemans
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...-Lemans-Update

Is this something you have in mind. I was thinking along these lines my self. http://www.camarointeriorparts.com/c...eadliners.html . Once at this site go to the seat covers, then "sports seats" these seats require new foam that bolsters around you somewhat, and they have the seat covers as well. I think TMI makes these for this company.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I had my 2005 GTO seats recovered by a local upholstery shop to match the stock rear seat in my car.

Love the seats and I think they turned out great.

I think I paid around $500 for the seats and $450 to have them recovered.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

+1 on the Scat/Procar Rally seats. I just got those for my Camaro this summer and I'm pretty happy with them.

Ive had all three seats mentioned here....

I tried the Scat pro-car Rally seats first. They were how shall I say this....taylored to a little guy. If youre 6' tall and 185 lbs then you'll be good. Im 6'2" 230-240. 50 coat/36 jeans. I was not close to being able to fit in those. I literally sat on the lower seat bolstering so they went back to summit.

I tried stuffing the stock seats with the Legendary Auto Rally foams/covers which is the same thing as TMI and the others that are offering it. I had those for a year. Not bad but still a stock 67' GTO seat and after a 300 miler crusie through NE Iowa my pregnant wife {who is a saint about stuff like this} mentioned how they were not really comfy and I honestly had to agree. IT sucks because I have a lot of money in the seats but they just aren't that cozy and they sit high and are really not much of an improvement over stock.

I bought a set of 06' GTO seats from a buddy in Wisconsin for $550. I got them in in an afternoon. The fab work was easy. Check my build thread out. They are awesome. 8 way power seats. Easy 12v connection. Super cozy. I'm not going back. I might have them recovered to look 67' and match the rest of the stock interior, like the guy above did but these seats are by far the winners. Its not even a contest.

-Nick
      -1967 GTO I drive and race
      -Build threads:
      -http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=615847&page=23
      -https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...project-thread

I'm 6'1" and about 250 Ibs and the only issue I have with my Scat/Procars is that they sit a little high in my car. Otheriwse I haven't had any comfort issues. I do hear alot of good things about those newer GTO seats though.

Hmmm, I might have to look into those 2005/6 seats. I know they come in blue to kinda match my interior but that color appears to be hard to come by. I have a 1965 Buick Skylark.

Ok, you guys made a believer out of me. I bought a set of 2004 GTO seats today from a scarp yard. They will be going into my 1965 Buick Skylark. I am going to get them recovered in a light blue to match the interior of the car. Here is a picture of them in the back of my Tahoe.

Looks like the red new GTO seats will get the green light. Next winter project . . . anyone finds some, let me know.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Update: I got the GTO seats recovered as shown in post 11. I was going to go with a light blue but after looking at the sample material I really liked this color. Here they are again back from the upholstery shop. I had them recovered in tribute to the 1965 Buick Skylark theme. Here is a picture of them in the back of my Tahoe. Debating on whether to get the rear bench seats redone with the same material or go with fitting the rear GTO seat. I would rather go with the rear GTO seat option.

Here is an older picture of the interior of my 1965 Skylark for comparison.

They look really nice.

Upgrading Factory Seats

If I may ask, how much was it to get your GTO seats recovered? I have a pair of cloth recaros that need recovering.

The cost at my local shop was $400 each to have them recovered. Yesterday I went ahead and picked up the back seat out of the 2004 GTO. The price was $150 plus I paid and extra $25 to have them cut out the floor sheet metal where the lower seat hooked. I am still not sure which way I will go on the rear seat. Here is a picture.

I put tmi sport r in my daughters 67 vert camaro....very impressive seats and foam but I will say they sit much higher than the stock.....good thing she's short I'm only 5'6" and I almost have to duck but they look good!!! They also had matching panels to completely upgrade much cheaper than custom work.

Nuzzo, just curious how long ago you purchased your TMI seats and foam? I know at first they had a lot of issues with height but supposedly new foam fixed the problem. I was planning to go with these eventually but at 5-10 in a coupe that would be an issue.

Update: I now have the 2004 GTO front bucket seats installed in the 65 Skylark. They fit real well. I am 6' 1", 245 lbs and I have plenty of room including head clearance. As stated these are 8 way adjustable with a lumbar adjustment. I now have plenty of leg room which I did not before. Here are a couple of pictures. These are just OK pictures as the sun was not at the right angle. Now on to the GTO rear seats.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com