Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Modify Filler Neck On Stock Gas Tank

I am looking for some feedback on an idea I had to modify my filler neck on my gas tank. Basically Im having issues with stress cracks on the solder joint where the filler neck is sealed to the tank. Im not sure if it was originally damaged during shipping or if it the stress of the filler neck sitting against the frame. I originally saw the leak, pulled the tank out and tried to patch the tiny crack in the solder joint with JB Weld (stupidest thing ever) and it held up for about a month before it cracked and started leaking again. At this point Ive remove the tank again as well as removed the filler neck from the tank by melting the solder and chipping off all the JB Weld. Everything is cleaned up and ready to be re soldered but Im worried about the solder joint cracking again and thought about modifying the filler neck to lighten the stress on the joint.

What I was thinking about doing was cutting the filler neck and adding a gas safe rubber coupler like the ones that are used on 68-69 Camaros and Firebirds. That way all the stress is removed from the joint. The issue is, I have a baffle or vent running through my filler neck. I was looking at cutting and removing about 1/4-3/8" worth of material off the filler neck and leaving the baffle/vent intact and using the coupler to give it the flex. I know it wont have as much flex with the baffle still there but it should have some. I had a friend raise concern that the vent not work any longer if I did that because gas would get in the vent area where I made the cut. He mentioned adding some tubes (aluminum fuel line) in the vent area to help. What are your thoughts on this. I attached a drawing of my idea. Thanks

72 GTO with stock style gas tank w/AC. Sending unit has feed and return, both are used.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Does what Im saying make any sense here? Im not looking for gas tank experts, just your personal opinion or thoughts. Thanks

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

I'd take it to a radiator shop, have them re-solder the neck & add a reinforcing ring around the solder area. I've seen that done on mid-70's Chevy pickups on the radiator inlet fitting.
      67 Camaro RS that will be faster than anything Mary owns.

Just talked to a really nice guy at Ricks tanks and he got me squared away. Just have to build up the vent/baffle area on the sides to keep gas from entering the vent area. That's good enough for me to proceed with my plan. Thanks to Ricks Tanks!

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com