Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I'd be interested to see how the "body control module" is built/designed.

Great job on the car so far.

Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

For some reason I can't see any of your pics on the last several post

Quote Originally Posted by Wldtang View Post
      For some reason I can't see any of your pics on the last several post
      Any better?
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Very sweet build! I am also building a vintage Mustang (1966 Coupe) and just mocked up my Coyote this weekend. I realize now that I will need a remote oil filter kit. What are you using for this?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great build.

Wow, sorry, I've been pretty remiss in updating this...

I'm working on some video updates right now, I'll come back through with pictures after the fact. Here's the first video (sorry for the quality, I'm not a professional YouTubde personality...), going on a quick walkaround on the exterior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVPmhjJPtrE&t=
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.

Very nice build. I dont like the 65 tails either but i went with 69 cougar lights for mine...They are massive but it the fins should look cool

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsolo View Post
      And a quick side project... clamps for the fuel lines and brake lines, 3D printed in PETG.

Attachment 138332

Attachment 138333
      Looking for something similar and also to make some hose separators to fit the PTFE line I just ordered.
      How does PETG hold up to temperatures in an engine bay? Did you make them yourself? What 3d printer did you use?
      I'll probably have some prototyped on Shapeways.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
      Looking for something similar and also to make some hose separators to fit the PTFE line I just ordered.
      How does PETG hold up to temperatures in an engine bay? Did you make them yourself? What 3d printer did you use?
      I'll probably have some prototyped on Shapeways.

Jay
      Jay,

I'm not using any of them in the engine bay, just under the car (away from exhaust). I think they'd be suspect under any load in an engine bay, especially mine with the turbos, A/C, etc. FWIW, I may remake them on my CNC machine later.

I do all of my own 3D printing CAD work and manufacture (I actually build my own printers as well). These were done on my Ultimaker 2 clone. Shapeways has some better options for higher temp stuff. I did my first round at 35% infill and they were too weak, the ones on the car now are 100% (solid) infill.

Also, did another video today, doing some work preparing the car to come apart for paint work:

https://youtu.be/I0bRI88iEUo

Nice to see other coupes being built

Quote Originally Posted by Crestronwizard View Post
      Nice to see other coupes being built
      Thanks! It's not quite to the level of yours, but I'm learning as I go.

So I've not been posting updates, but I have been working on this... Redid the suspension a bit in the front so that I can use hims to set camber instead of the MII setup I had. I doubt the MII ability to stay locked in properly. 0 shims = 0* camber.

I also finished the bodywork in the engine bay, got it epoxy sealed and sprayed it with Eastwood 2K Ceramic "Extreme" chassis paint to hopefully keep it in decent shape.

Name:  bay0.jpg
Views: 1464
Size:  116.8 KB

Reworked suspension:

Name:  bay1.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  103.5 KB

Name:  bay2.jpg
Views: 1441
Size:  123.2 KB

Name:  bay3.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  96.3 KB

And the bay with the bulkheads and such going back in place.

Name:  bay5.jpg
Views: 1443
Size:  101.1 KB

I cut out the tunnel recently to make it if the shifter/parking brake better, so I'm currently seam sealing all of the reworked areas under the car, then I'll redo the bedliner there, get the parking brake cabling finished/tested and heat shields fabricated, then the drivetrain can go in and start getting ready for initial fire. Final chassis paint and interior will be completed after the drivetrain works properly.

Looking good Blake!

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Quote Originally Posted by kencobra View Post
      Very sweet build! I am also building a vintage Mustang (1966 Coupe) and just mocked up my Coyote this weekend. I realize now that I will need a remote oil filter kit. What are you using for this?

Thanks in advance and keep up the great build.
      Thanks! I am going to be using an Improved Racing remote filter + thermostat unit as I have a front mount oil cooler. I have an MMR block adapter on the engine itself. I previously had a "Torques" remote mount and an Earl's thermostat, but using separate units ate up too much space.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Looking good Blake!

Andrew
      Thank ya sir.

I have the undercarriage done now, except welding in seat belt mounting points (shipping snafu slowed down their delivery, but I'll put them in this weekend). If all goes well, the drivetrain will go in this weekend (and hopefully stay there for a few years), which will be pretty exciting.

Okay, let's add some more progress that I missed...

I wanted an export brace... but more fancy. So, I made this. It ties the tubular "strut towers" into the center of the firewall/cowl torque box. There are also angle iron supports that are plug/seam welded to the lip and firewall in this area, to help spread the load out. I hope that this plus the tube bracing in the sides of the bay and the cowl bracing to the hinge pillar area should really stiffen the front of the car up. At the very least it looks like it would, LOL.

Name:  strutBrace_1.jpg
Views: 1379
Size:  104.4 KB

I picked up a '65 grille (aftermarket). It sucked. Fit and looked like crap. So I bought grille material, fabricated an aluminum frame and closeout panel and made this, which I like MUCH better.

Name:  bay1.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  267.2 KB

Name:  grille1.jpg
Views: 1374
Size:  102.3 KB

So, minitubs. Minitubs are a PITA if you have a back set. Especially if you take them to the frame and use generic pieces. So the rear interior panels were modified to clear. I also narrowed the seats around 4" total, and reshaped the lower seat to make it fit. These will get custom upholstery (as will the front) to dress it all up. I'm thinking saddle brown quilted leather, but we'll see. I also stitch welded a piece of 0.090 steel over the opening to the trunk (which will be seam sealed) and over the rear decklid area. Rigidity and fire suppression being the primary goals. I think you can see the plating through the seat frames here.

Name:  backseats2.jpg
Views: 1361
Size:  69.7 KB

Name:  backseats1.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  85.4 KB

Next was making the transmission tunnel fit the way I wanted. The PO had made this area into a patchwork quilt of random metal, so I cut most of it out and fabricated a new tunnel. The big panels remove so make it easy to put the shifter in from the top (this MGW shifter is SWEET, but it's HUGE). This will be under a custom center console. You can also see where I cut out the seat risers and made my own tubular setups there. The mounts are plated to the tunnel/sill and boxed to the floorpan, so it add rigidity and lowers the seats about 1.25" vs. the stock risers. The boxing also ties into the outriggers I ran from the subframe connectors to the door sills, so all the things are braced to all the things...

Name:  shifter_seatbrackets.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  88.2 KB

Name:  shifter_2.jpg
Views: 1392
Size:  78.4 KB

These are the seats I'll be using, ProCar pieces. They're not bad, but I plan to have them reupholstered to match the rest of the interior.

Name:  seats_mocked.jpg
Views: 1372
Size:  87.9 KB

This is just a random shot of the AC plumbing in progress. I need to CNC up a mounting system for the drier.

Name:  ac1.jpg
Views: 1364
Size:  128.3 KB

And a few parts I made on my new CNC machine. One is a bracket for a boost solenoid (which has the start of my wiring setup on it). The second is a bracket for my Magnafuel regulator. I'll be making some more goodies for the interior/engine bay on the CNC and 3D printer in the near future.

Name:  boostsol1.jpg
Views: 1368
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  billetfpr_1.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  87.6 KB

Good to see updates. Glad you're still going forward.

Have you done any further development on the Arduino?

Love your work!

Thanks for all your posts and insight into how you are handling things.

I am still working on the Arduino/CANbus stuff, actually.

Here's the BCM circuit board/prototypes and final builds. This will fire relays in a Bussman PDU fuse/relay center. These modules are CAN addressable so you can add as many as you like to the vehicle bus and then control them with CANbus. All of it is programmed in Arduino IDE and will run things like turn signals, flashing 3rd brake light, hazards, etc. I need to finish the PCB design for the "master" for this soon as the car is almost ready for it.

Name:  canBus_1.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  69.3 KB

Name:  canBus_2.jpg
Views: 1308
Size:  11.9 KB

Name:  canBus_3.jpg
Views: 1330
Size:  76.0 KB

Name:  canBus_4.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  79.8 KB

I also wrote an interpreter that talks to the AEM ECU on AEMnet (CANbus) and displays live data from the ECU on OLED gauges. They even have a fancy little startup procedure with the Ford/Mustang logos. You can click through a few pages of configurable live data. I need to finish the PCB design for this also, as it's just a breadboard (though I have a PCB about 95% designed, just need to send off the files to China and have it etched/drilled).

Name:  canBus_5.jpg
Views: 1322
Size:  89.3 KB

Here's the display (prototype) in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52GF5V-idA&t=1s

Looks great! Those electronics are so far over my head its not even fair!!!
      1966 Mustang Coupe
      5.0 EFI- T5

Quote Originally Posted by digitalsolo View Post
      I am still working on the Arduino/CANbus stuff, actually.

Here's the BCM circuit board/prototypes and final builds. This will fire relays in a Bussman PDU fuse/relay center. These modules are CAN addressable so you can add as many as you like to the vehicle bus and then control them with CANbus. All of it is programmed in Arduino IDE and will run things like turn signals, flashing 3rd brake light, hazards, etc. I need to finish the PCB design for the "master" for this soon as the car is almost ready for it.

Here's the display (prototype) in motion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52GF5V-idA&t=1s
      I did something similar with an I2C protocol relay board on my last car. I used an Arduino to read the resistance based steering wheel controls coming to my radio, then filtered out certain commands and passed the rest on to the factory radio (and later a SWC interface for my tablet) then used some of the relays to change volume and cycle through options on my signal processor. This stuff is pretty cool. Wish I understood Eagle well enough to map circuit boards. Amazing work!

Jay

Thanks! Arduino and the like are so easy to work with, makes it a lot of fun to play around.

I fabricated some heatshields for the transmission tunnel and the fuel/brake lines where they're closest to the turbos.

Name:  heatshield.jpg
Views: 1228
Size:  261.6 KB

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com