Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

67 Camaro Dakota Digital VHX Gauges

Hey guys, have any of you installed these new VHX gauges in a 67 camaro with the gauges in the factory console housing? I was wondering how they look? I was going to go with Autometer Ultra Lite II but then I saw these. I know the Auto Meter gauges look good in a 67 Camaro but I haven't seen any pictures of the new VHX gauges installed.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd721.htm

Country Flag: United States
      my 66 Lemans has blue carbon analog lite and everyone marvels at them. for over $800 they should look good. I am puter illiterate so I can not get the pix on my phone to thread but they are purty

Thanks for the reply back. I'm thinking about going with the Black Alloy and White. Hopefully they look as good as the blue carbon fiber ones that I've seen on youtube.

Country Flag: Australia
      I bought the Black Alloy and White gauges for my 69 Camaro. I really liked the Carbon and Blue/Red ones but my car is Rallye Green with a dark green interior so I didn't think the red/blue ones would really suit it. Plus I wanted to keep it as stock looking as I could. I couldn't find a picture of the Black/white gauges before I bought them but have seen pictures of them since (they are being shipped right now).

I'm not 100% sure I really like them but I will reserve judgement until I actually have them in the car to see how they look. The thing I don't like about them is that they are not just white numbering/lettering on a black face but they have like a grey line running around the gauge joining the lines, unlike the red/blue carbon gauges which just have a red/blue line marking.

Pics below to see what I mean. Sorry for the big picture but it's all I could find!!

Name:  $_57.JPG
Views: 555
Size:  146.3 KB Name:  !CFG7EB!CWk~$(KGrHqN,!gsE0v9klg4FBNUET2i1Qw~~_12.GIF
Views: 425
Size:  106.0 KB

Watch out on the ultra lite II, when they are lit up at dusk the numbers disappear. The white led blends into the silver face. It's only at dusk or early morning when there is still some light outside but not enough to see the gauge so you have to turn the lights on.
      Rick - 1969 Camaro - LS1 driven daily

Steery, let us know what you think of the Black Alloy with white. I'd be interested to see what you think of them once you get them. I'm with you in that the carbon fiber ones might look alittle better, but maybe once you get them hooked up they may look good also.

ccmc, Yeah I read a couple of post that mentioned that the Ultra Lites II maybe be hard to see sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmc View Post
      Watch out on the ultra lite II, when they are lit up at dusk the numbers disappear. The white led blends into the silver face. It's only at dusk or early morning when there is still some light outside but not enough to see the gauge so you have to turn the lights on.
      The silver/blues VHX do with direct sunlight on them (even with the back lighting turned up all of the way). I had a set of the II series Autometers before so I remember that also. To fix it, all I did was put the digital MPH output reading into the display below the tach.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Thanks guys. One more question before I order these gauges. I have a Tremec TKO 600 that has a VSS plug and was wondering if it would be better to use that instead of going with the Dakota Digital GPS-50-1 module. The GPS sounds like it would be cool and easy to hook up, but maybe the VSS would be just as good also. What do you guys think?

You could do either GPS or use the VSS sensor. Just depends on how you want to wire it and/or spend the extra money for the GPS setup. I used the VSS signal from my pcm and had to adjust it (via the DD programming), not hard at all.
      Chris
      1968 Chevy Camaro SS
      LS3/T56 DSE suspension

Quote Originally Posted by 130fe View Post
      You could do either GPS or use the VSS sensor. Just depends on how you want to wire it and/or spend the extra money for the GPS setup. I used the VSS signal from my pcm and had to adjust it (via the DD programming), not hard at all.
      Thanks Chris for the reply back. I may just use the VSS sensor.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com