Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

TIG welding, fingertip or foot pedal control?

Which do you prefer & why?
      Thanks
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

foot control... just like driving, plus that's all i have ever had never tried fingertip control. I think it would be a little distracting trying to throttle the welder while I am moving the torch around with my hand. don't even want to try it unless i was in a position it just wasn't possible to use a foot pedal.

Foot Pedal. I use the fingertip control once in a while but that is rare. If I had to pick one it would be the pedal.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Country Flag: Canada
      Foot pedal, for me it allows much better control of the torch.

I have both and I prefer the foot pedal it is easier to get the torch in position and at the right distance, and worry about power with the foot. thumb control seems very awkward for me unless I need it in hard to reach areas.
      Justin N.

1966 Chevelle
      1992 GMC Typhoon
      1989 Jeep Wrangler CJ 6.0 Twin Turbo
      1981 Jeep CJ7

Ok so Jody on weldingtipsandtricks.com built a simple foot control knife switch for use on an old AC Lincoln/Miller TIG box.
      It uses simple thing, clipping welder electrode too tig torch.
      Since he was gonna show how to run stainless and you need to cut power but keep shield gas till it cool or weld sugars.
      made from hinged boards, and 600 amp battery cut off knife switch.
      Pedal or thumb control , either work and practice makes perfect.
      Also go check the tip Jody has for TIG welding, like gas lenses, using 2% lanthanated for all welding. Jodys video on TIG electrode choice made me a believer.
      Honestly ,find someone with both setups or store that lets you try different setups.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Country Flag: Canada
      Foot....fingertip is another thing that the same hand is trying to do while you are looking to control the arc length, angle,tungsten stickout,travel speed etc. The other hand is adding filler material. Leaving both feet to do nothing.making one of them control the "throttle" is a much easier task
      Spinnin'my tires in life's fast lane

Ryan Austin
      On twitter @raustinss
      On Instagram austinss70

I tig weld for a living and also do quite a bit at home for myself and side projects. I like both. They both have there place imo. For 99% of aluminum I like a foot pedal. For anything else I like a on/off button most of the time. My home machine is a Miller Dynasty and I'm able to set up my parameters to suit my style, likes, and needs. It's much much easier to weld out of position not having to worry about a foot pedal. Most steel/stainless can have the heat seat and welded throughout no so with aluminum which is why a foot pedal is my go to on aluminum. Aluminum takes mucho amps to start then you must back way off at times.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com