Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best head for a BBC...

I have a 454 out of a 1991 Chevy truck. It has been rebuilt and massaged a little. By that I mean it has an aftermarket roller cam and the heads were ported and polished. They are the original steel heads. I am looking to get some high performance aluminum heads. To the best of my knowledge it is the stock bottom end. It also has an aluminum intake and an Edelbrock 800cfm carb. I would like to get as much as I can from the motor as I can without changing stroke or the pistons. I do also know it is running around 9.5:1 compression. Can anyone point me in the direction of good heads... I don't want to run NOS and I don't want to cut a hole in the hood, yet.

Thanks For the Help
      Nick

Country Flag: United States
      i have read allot on bigblock heads seems to be that the AFR report the best numbers and the edelbrock and brodix are second look up big block head shoot out hot rod magazine did a spread on it
      1969 Camaro
      496 BBC
      411 moser rear
      6 speed
      british racing green
      money pit is killing me

I got cnc ported AFR's on my b bbc, whatever you do make sure the combination all works together. Heads, intake, ca that's where the power is..

The biggest thing is getting a combo designed to work together. Just as an example, I had a friend back in the day who put an RV cam into his 327 along with some heads off of a 302DZ and the thing would never perform. The heads wanted to flow at high RPM and the cam wanted to work at low RPM. Good parts, bad combination.
      I used to run Edelbrock for this reason. They had matched combos. Once I went to Dart heads and an Erson cam though, the engine really came alive!

-Jim
      1968 Camaro --502HO, ATI 10" TreeMaster, Hughes TH400 with Gear Vendor's OD, Moser 12-bolt, RideTech StrongArms and MuscleBar, Chris Alston G-bar rear suspension, 2 1/8" by 4" Lemon's Headers through 3" Pypes X-pipe and Hooker AeroChambers.

Post your combo and question over on chevelles.com. There's alot of big block discussions and focus on these aspects.
      69 Camaro convertible, 410, M22, 8-pt cage therapy program. SOLD.
      68 camaro - SOLD
      67 Bel Air - New street project with perfect floors, frame and trunk!

You need to provide a lot more info than this to get any valid recommendations.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com