Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

4L80E shifter options?

So what are you folks using for shifters? I have a PCS TCU and while talking to one of there tech support guys was surprised to discover that paddle shifters will not downshift this trans unless you are using a servo setup? Even though this is an electronic transmission in order to have full control over downshift points you still need to do it manually via the shift lever.

I picked up a OEM Jaguar shifter as they used this trans in some vehicles but I don't believe I will be happy with it as the detents are so soft it may be very easy to over-shift . It appears a "ratchet" style shifter may best be suited for a Pro-Touring car? B&M has a 'Pro Ratchet' shifter that looks like it will function favorably but the B&M I had years ago has left much to be desired!

So, are there any other ratchet style shifters that will work with the 4L80E of better quality?

I was intending to use the PCS controller with a 4L80e and I was never told that. The 4l80e is not a servo trans it uses bands and The paddles are sending the up/downshift message to the trans controller which is controlling all shifts. If the TCU tells the trans to downshift, it should do so. Is there something I'm not understanding?

As far as shifters, I was going to use the shifter by American Shifter Corp. found here

http://www.americanshifter.com/catal...ssion-shifters

You can use it as side action or pushbutton. I still have and 8" from my project. If you like the style. I'd give you a good deal on it based on what I paid.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Hey Chris, just to clarify: when I said servo I was referring to externally mounted servos or solenoids that would move the cable. He told me the only way you would have engine braking while downshifting was to manually move the arm on the trans - either via shifter or some other means. They offer a push button shifter that will work either with or without paddles but it's very pricey, it converts electrical to mechanical to move a cable.

I will check out the shifter and let you know - Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AWDPete View Post
      Hey Chris, just to clarify: when I said servo I was referring to externally mounted servos or solenoids that would move the cable. He told me the only way you would have engine braking while downshifting was to manually move the arm on the trans - either via shifter or some other means. They offer a push button shifter that will work either with or without paddles but it's very pricey, it converts electrical to mechanical to move a cable.

I will check out the shifter and let you know - Thanks!
      You may want to talk to Steve at Twist Machine in regards to engine braking or if you really need it based on your application. He is one of few vendors here besides Bowler that usually visit the Automatic forums. I know his suggestion has usually been a proper convertor. I truly respect his feedback in this area because he drives a paddle shifted PT Camaro. He's known here as "streetfytr68". If you're not familiar with Twist Machine, they are here:
      http://twistmachine.com/

IMO, they make one of the nicest paddle sets on the market. I used to own a set...

Good luck. I'll be listening for feedback

Chris--

My trans and convertor are from Twist Machine so all set there.

How would you compare your shifter to a ratchet style? Particularly in a pro tour or optima style event?

My trans and convertor are from Twist Machine so all set there.

How would you compare your shifter to a ratchet style? Particularly in a pro tour or optima style event?
      Car is still in the build process, and my trans was stolen from my friends garage before install. I sold my paddles, PCS tcu and twist converter so I can go manual.
      I have a buddy that used to work for PCS, I'll see if I can connect with him about your concern. He used to monitor the forum when he was still with them because PCS was the sponsor of the Automatic Transmissions thread.

And I'd also talk to Steve, he's very knowledgeable about the PCS TCU as well.

Chris--

Most excellent - Thanks Chris!!! I have the PCS TCM-2000. I will try to get in contact with Steve...

Most excellent - Thanks Chris!!! I have the PCS TCM-2000. I will try to get in contact with Steve...
      One thing I can say is Steve stands behind his stuff. That's the better controller, I only had the Simple Shift. I'd be REALLY surprised if it won't work.

Sent my buddy an email today...

Chris--

I talked to my buddy and he said there is no reason why the trans should not downshift when being shifted by the paddles. The silenoids are simply taking instruction from the TCU which is taking instruction from the TCU. The TCU is controlling the shiftpoints of the trans. I'd be curious to hear what Steve has to say because as many conversations as we had I know he would have mentioned it.

Chris--

Check with TCI they make a outlaw shifter for 4 speed transmissions part#611641 I am not going to use a paddle shifter and was planning on buying one.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com