Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

D.I.Y. Bodywork on the "Poor Boy" 1967 Firebird

So opposed to letting the small things get buried in my main build thread I figured I would start a new thread specifically for all the metal work on my car.

Unfortunately my solid looking car has become a horror story of "how did this not fall off" and "why the hell did this clown think this was a good way to repair this?" This will be the ultimate guide to what I found wrong and how I fixed it. If this gets lost in the sea of time I will also link it on the first page of my build thread.

*Disclaimer* I am not a professional, I actually have never done any body work before in my life, this is just a resource and documentation on how I'm doing it.

Things to be repaired or fabricated on my 1967 Firebird
      * Floor (the entire thing because someone mickey moused it with patches)
      * Trunk (mega holes in it covered with expanding foam and paint) ((quality))
      * Firewall repairs
      * Inner and Outer Wheel Wells (rotted / not enough wides)
      * Both Quarters (again some shot alcoholic put quarters on the car) ((didn't know until I rolled my fenders, thats a good half assed job))
      * Outer Rocker repairs
      * 13 things I haven't found yet
      * Custom Rollcage
      * Custom Rear Frame for IRS

So here we go, Chassis is stripped and ready to rock and roll. . . I just don't know where to start.

*Disclaimer #2* Yeah some of my pictures suck, well deal with it, I'm using a phone because that's what I've got. . . Maybe i can have my friends pop over for fancy pics through out this process. I also have a GoPro I plan on using for some instructional/destructional videos

1967 Firebird "Poor-Boy Build"
      New updated thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...bird-(Updates)
      Follow me on Instagram @NaturalLivingMan

Bracing the body has begun, just not sure where to put them so they are not in my way for replacement of other parts.

New updated thread

It was recommended by literally anyone I know that builds race cars and does body work to buy one of these bad bitches. . . So I did, and tonight I get to see how well it works! Its called a Crud Thug from SnapOn and is wicked expensive! p/n PT280THUGA

New updated thread

Country Flag: Mexico
      Quote Originally Posted by Buryingthesun View Post
      It was recommended by literally anyone I know that builds race cars and does body work to buy one of these bad bitches. . . So I did, and tonight I get to see how well it works! Its called a Crud Thug from SnapOn and is wicked expensive! p/n PT280THUGA

Is that a back scratcher? lol

Fellow Firebird owner, subscribed!

Country Flag: France
      Yeah ! Show us how she's working... sounds... Middle Ages with eraser !!
      Gil

This thing works great, I only worked with it for about 1hr today but cleaned the entire passenger rocker and cleaned up the seams for the passenger 1/4 panel.

I've got a lot of work in for me, turns out my rockers are junk hidden by bondo, my roof line is still leaded and I need to figure out how to remove that nonsense. Looks like my replacement quarters are not full quarters.
      Attached Images Attached Images          

New updated thread

The further you dig into your car the more rust you will find! I started with one firebird that needed some panels replaced then I "thought" I would save some time and buy a roller that had panels replaced already. But it turned out I had to do A LOT of work to fix the roller.

I still don't have a finished firebird but I have went back to working on the original car again so I can get it together enough to sell. I have too many stock parts laying around that I don't want to use (enough to put a whole mostly stock car together). I have installed a 1-piece trunk, inner and outer wheel houses, and a just did a 1-piece floor this past weekend.

I still have to put the firewall and upper cowl panel in (and quarter skins, tail panel, and outer rockers...) But I do have all the parts at least to put this car together and sell so I can fun my "real car". So basically have a good plan and stick to it (unlike me) and everything should go good. I would be more than happy to share all the mistakes I have made so maybe it will save you some trouble, lol. Good luck with it!
      1967 Firebird (current project)
      1967 Firebird (unfinished project SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Wall View Post
      The further you dig into your car the more rust you will find! I started with one firebird that needed some panels replaced then I "thought" I would save some time and buy a roller that had panels replaced already. But it turned out I had to do A LOT of work to fix the roller.

I still don't have a finished firebird but I have went back to working on the original car again so I can get it together enough to sell. I have too many stock parts laying around that I don't want to use (enough to put a whole mostly stock car together). I have installed a 1-piece trunk, inner and outer wheel houses, and a just did a 1-piece floor this past weekend.

I still have to put the firewall and upper cowl panel in (and quarter skins, tail panel, and outer rockers...) But I do have all the parts at least to put this car together and sell so I can fun my "real car". So basically have a good plan and stick to it (unlike me) and everything should go good. I would be more than happy to share all the mistakes I have made so maybe it will save you some trouble, lol. Good luck with it!
      I'm thinking I need to replace my trunk floor before I install the new passenger quarter? Mainly for ease of installation. Either way both inner and outer wheels wells ned to be replaced. I also want to do the rear frame rails while I'm into the trunk I just don't know his to locate them if I take it all out at once

New updated thread

I replaced the trunk floor a while back but I'm pretty sure I had to take the quarter, inner, and outer wheel wells out to get the trunk floor in. I was replacing these anyway so wasn't a big deal. Of course if you aren't doing a full trunk floor then you won't have to do all that. I remember it still being kind of a pain to get in and out while I was fitting everything up.

I think frame rails are a good idea, it is a real pain to try and save the old ones after drilling out spot welds and grinding. Here's the order I would replace parts.

1. Cut out one frame rail then weld new one back in at the front and rear attachment points where they aren't welded to the trunk floor.
      2. Cut out the other frame rail and repeat previous step.
      3. Cut off quarter panel
      4. Cut out the portion of the inner and outer wheel houses that attach to the trunk floor and the parts that will get in the way of putting the new trunk floor in.
      5. Cut out the remainder of the trunk floor and prep for new trunk floor.
      6. Install new trunk floor. Weld to new frame rails,tail panel reinforcement, and other points that are not being replaced.
      7. At this point it will be safe to cut out the rest of the inner/outer wheel houses and install the new inner and outer.
      8. Install new quarter panel.

I think this would be a good way to approach it and keep everything lined up.

Since you're doing IRS are you going to go with stock rails and modify them? I figured when I go to do the IRS in my car I would end up fabing a new trunk floor and rails or maybe buy a set of the straight frame rails.

I replaced the trunk floor a while back but I'm pretty sure I had to take the quarter, inner, and outer wheel wells out to get the trunk floor in. I was replacing these anyway so wasn't a big deal. Of course if you aren't doing a full trunk floor then you won't have to do all that. I remember it still being kind of a pain to get in and out while I was fitting everything up.

I think frame rails are a good idea, it is a real pain to try and save the old ones after drilling out spot welds and grinding. Here's the order I would replace parts.

1. Cut out one frame rail then weld new one back in at the front and rear attachment points where they aren't welded to the trunk floor.
      2. Cut out the other frame rail and repeat previous step.
      3. Cut off quarter panel
      4. Cut out the portion of the inner and outer wheel houses that attach to the trunk floor and the parts that will get in the way of putting the new trunk floor in.
      5. Cut out the remainder of the trunk floor and prep for new trunk floor.
      6. Install new trunk floor. Weld to new frame rails,tail panel reinforcement, and other points that are not being replaced.
      7. At this point it will be safe to cut out the rest of the inner/outer wheel houses and install the new inner and outer.
      8. Install new quarter panel.

I think this would be a good way to approach it and keep everything lined up.

Since you're doing IRS are you going to go with stock rails and modify them? I figured when I go to do the IRS in my car I would end up fabing a new trunk floor and rails or maybe buy a set of the straight frame rails.
      I am debating just doing custom rails on the rear, Make a cross bar from rocker to rocker with a drive shaft hump. then lay my rails where they would pick up on the IRS. box it all together and tie it into the roll cage.

New updated thread

I have found AMD (Auto Metal Direct) Makes almost all the steel I need and is the best quality on the market

New updated thread

LOVE my Crud Thug, thing is worth it's weight in gold!!

Subbin for updates.
      Josh

1968 Firebird project thread - https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...41#post1180941

Quote Originally Posted by Josue View Post
      LOVE my Crud Thug, thing is worth it's weight in gold!!

Subbin for updates.
      It blew my mind how well that thing works especially on body filler!!

New updated thread

I have found AMD (Auto Metal Direct) Makes almost all the steel I need and is the best quality on the market
      Something to keep in mind about AMD is they sell parts they make and parts other companies make. If the part number starts with an "X" then it's NOT their part. I had to get fenders and AMD didn't make Firebird fenders but they do make Camaro fenders so I bought the Camaro fenders and am modifying them.

Something to keep in mind about AMD is they sell parts they make and parts other companies make. If the part number starts with an "X" then it's NOT their part. I had to get fenders and AMD didn't make Firebird fenders but they do make Camaro fenders so I bought the Camaro fenders and am modifying them.
      I've noticed on their website it specifies what parts are made by them and what's not. For me the most important part right now is the quarters. They are made by AMD for a 1967 firebird and have the correct louvers and no bird stamped like the 68'

New updated thread

I've noticed on their website it specifies what parts are made by them and what's not. For me the most important part right now is the quarters. They are made by AMD for a 1967 firebird and have the correct louvers and no bird stamped like the 68'
      I just checked and the only 67 Firebird quarter panels on their website are "X-parts" which means they don't make it. I went to their store in Georgia when I bought my fenders and asked one of the guys about the X-parts and he confirmed they don't make them. They are real good guys to deal with and are honest, you can call and ask them if they make the parts you are wanting to order and they will tell you.

I just checked and the only 67 Firebird quarter panels on their website are "X-parts" which means they don't make it. I went to their store in Georgia when I bought my fenders and asked one of the guys about the X-parts and he confirmed they don't make them. They are real good guys to deal with and are honest, you can call and ask them if they make the parts you are wanting to order and they will tell you.
      You are correct, I just checked also

New updated thread

You are correct, I just checked also
      It's not that big a deal though. I replaced the quarters on my other firebird and it wasn't too bad. Main thing was the trunk opening was too big so I had to cut the top of the quarter and add some metal so I could push the gutter section in. Just plan to have to modify every replacement panel you buy, not that you will but at least that way you will have somewhat prepared yourself, lol.

It got a little serious lastnight

I'm kinda concerned I'm doing this wrong. Now I'm reading horror story's of replacement quarters fitting like **** and not being the correct dimensions.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

New updated thread

From what I can see in this link on a Super Chevy 69' camaro build they have no extra bracing inside the car. But my car is also on 4 jack stands and not a body jig.... Nerves are getting touchy right now, any helpful tips would be appreciated! I've never done this before!

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/pai...ottom#cxrecs_s

New updated thread

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com