Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Thread: No start

Country Flag: United States

No start

Chevy 350, HEI distributor, Edelbrock Performer 600 carb.

Car ran on Friday. I noticed the alternator light flickering at idle, but went away with revs. Got home, diagnosed a loose alternator belt and tightened it up on Saturday. Tried to start the car a little while later, no dice.

At first I thought it was starved of gas - cranked just fine, just wouldn't fire. Took off the air cleaner to see if the accelerator pumps were squirting - didn't look like it. Took the top of the carb off, float bowl was full and floats work just fine. Cleared out the accelerator pumps and now they squirt normally. So the car has gas.

Put a paperclip in a spark plug wire, it has spark. Put an inline spark light on it, it lights up though I'm not sure if it's as bright as it should be. Ran a voltage test at the distributor - 9.6v while cranking. Pulled the distributor cap, looked a little corroded so I cleaned it off.

Pulled a spark plug and stuck my finger over the hole, it has plenty of compression.

There isn't a family of mice blocking the exhaust pipes, as far as I know.

Been trying to figure this out for 3 days now and it has me completely stumped. Gas, spark, compression. What is missing?

This is my daily driver so I'm trying to get it up and running ASAP.

Country Flag: United States
      Finally got it fixed yesterday. Bad alternator ruined my ignition coil. Still had spark, but not enough to fire. Runs great now.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com