Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Domestic dispute with my 700R

Does anyone have an extra gear vendors for a Turbo 400 lying around? Me and this 700R are not getting along. It teases me with overdrive and then smacks me in the face with pansy shifting. I might try manual valve body. I just miss the Turbo 400 and how it was built to shift hard and when I wanted it to.

No room here for man-part measuring 'stick shift' comments here. I two transmissions now that I can work with.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by hotrodgirl View Post
      Does anyone have an extra gear vendors for a Turbo 400 lying around? Me and this 700R are not getting along. It teases me with overdrive and then smacks me in the face with pansy shifting. I might try manual valve body. I just miss the Turbo 400 and how it was built to shift hard and when I wanted it to.

No room here for man-part measuring 'stick shift' comments here. I two transmissions now that I can work with.
      The GV is a good option, but I would personally sell both of the transmissions and get a 4L80E. Also, are you sure that the TV cable is adjusted properly? From what I have read the 700Rs are sensitive to proper TV cable adjustment. Just a thought.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

I am going to try and adjust more. It just shifts like granny mobile. I'm also going to look into a different bracket for the carb and cable like what Bowler offers. I Would still rather have it stay in the gear I choose. Manual valve body would do that I guess but that GV would be Saweeeet too.

Is this a built up 700r? Just wondering what's inside that makes you think it should not granny shift?
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Trying to get details on the guts. So far, I know it's all aftermarket Raptor transmission. They bought all good parts to build it like the good raptor. About $4500 of good gears, ( 5 gear planetary set), valve body, hardened input shaft, etc. I'm guessing I just don't have it adjusted like it could be. I like to hang it in 1st just before the rev limited kicks in. However, this 700r does what it wants so no manual shifting at all.

This is what I have. http://www.performanceautomatic.com/products/gm-transmissions/700r4-transmissions/700-r4-street-smart-system-transmission.html

If that's what you have, it would lead me to believe your TV cable needs adjusting. Do it quick because you don't want to burn the trans up.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Actually, it might be one of these. Supposed to be a Raptor or parts like a raptor. I will do more adjusting.

http://www.transmissioncenter.com/700R4_Performance_Transmissions_and_700R4_Performa nce_Transmission_Parts_from_PATC.htm

I just installed a Bowtie overdrives kit for mine. Once I dropped the pan it installed pretty easily. Unfortunately for me the tranny was burned up and needed a rebuild ( I was hoping proper tv cable would fix symptoms) anyway. But the shop doing the rebuild was impressed with the kit.

Long story short, get a proper tv cable adjustment whether using the brackets you have or buying something reputable. The kit is adjustable for driving habits. good luck with whatever you decide.
      1968 Camaro convertible. 383ci, 700R4, C5 13" brakes up front and C5 wheels all around. Oh! anda Hydroboost unit too!

I got some help this weekend from Mark Bowler from Bowler transmissions. SUPER nice folks! Anyway, looks like I will be making changes to the valve body to stay in gear as needed. However, his adjustment to the tv cable made a HUGE difference. Thanks for all replies!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com