Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Canada

Ridetech opinions wanted: 1957 Chev Bel Air Suspension kit?

Hi guys,

I'm looking for some insight here on what exactly to do with my next car....I am just getting a '57 Bel Air stripped down and I'm planning the suspension for it.

My goal would be to have a good cruiser, no auto crossing, but something that would have a bit of a drop setting for parking at shows or slow speed cruising around town or at a show and shine.

I'm putting a 6.0 for a motor and a 4L60, as well as a Ford 9" rear axle. Wheels will be either 18's all around or 18/20 staggered.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the ridetech kits (level 1 verses level 2) in bigger, heavier cars from the 50's or 60's.

Ive looked on the Tri-five sites without much luck as well as googling it, so hoping someone here could offer some suggestions.

Thanks!
      Gordon in Calgary

Country Flag: United States
      Then your right on target with ridetech. I put CoolRide on my 78 C10 and could hang with a fairly well modded 4th gen Camaro, springs, bars,shocks. F1 Goodyears, I had Firestone Indy 500s, 255/70/15 frt, Hoosier 30/9.50/15 rear and could handle turns with ease.
      So ShockWaves or CoolRide and good shocks will work fine.
      Trust this Bret DESIGNED this stuff the be beat on. If my TRUCK can handle and lay low then your shoebox is perfect for it, and stepping up to at least single adjustables will help you dial it in nice and help it handle much better for like $100 more.
      And the ride quality is SO MUCH BETTER.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Here is my truck laid out.
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Cool, I really want opinions about which ridetech kit to go with so that helps.

What are the exact differences in handling between the two cool rides and shock waves? Just the air tank size and analog vs digital gauges?
      Gordon in Calgary

CoolRide is an air spring and shock separately.
      CoolRide uses the Fox based "smooth body" shocks (1.5 Series).
      shockwave is air spring and shock together (basically a coil over with an air spring instead of a steel spring).
      Shockwaves use the Fox based "threaded body" shocks (2.0 Series).
      Shock forces are basically the same between the smooth body and the threaded body.
      Both carry our 1,000,001 mile warranty.
      Both are offered in fixed valve (RQ Series) or rebound adjustable (HQ Series).
      The shockwave is the only one that offers the triple adjustable, remote reservoir shock (TQ Series).

Since the air springs are the same, and the shock forces are the same, the CoolRide and the Shockwave will handle the same (unless you run the TQ Shockwaves, which we'll ignore for this conversation).
      The biggest advantage to the Shockwave system is packaging. Since the shock and air spring use the same space there is no chance of wide front tires hitting the shock like they could in the CoolRide system (as the shock has to be mounted to the back side of the control arm.)

The AirBar in the rear requires the use of Shockwaves, so most of the time people purchase Shockwaves for the front as well so everything matches.

The biggest difference between the Level 1 and Level 2 kits is the shock length and control arms. Level 1 uses the stock control arm and a 2.9" stroke shock. The Level 2 kit uses our Strong Arm tubular control arm with a 4.1" stroke shock (we drop the lower shock mount so we can utilize a longer shock). Though the Shockwave works with the OE arms, they are now nearly 60 years old and may or may not be trustworthy. The Shockwave also uses a trunnion (T-bar, tie bar, whatever you want to call it) on the lower mount. I personally do not like this as you are placing the entire vehicle weight on two small "pads" where the trunnion touches the arm. I am much more comfortable with the double shear mounting style of our Strong Arms.

Thanks Britt,

I've looked at your site a lot trying to see what package to go with, can you give me some specific advice vs what I posted in my first post for my desired outcomes? Are there any forum members driving tri- fives that you've outfitted with these packages?

I'm in Canada and our exchange rates have taken a big hit so price vs best value vs best outcomes are important criteria for me. It seems the packages for 55-57 Chevs are up there vs Camaro packages, could a guy get certain air shocks, pan hard bars and the rear link and do without the a-arms?

Thanks, Gord
      Gordon in Calgary

To accomplish what you want, and do it correctly I'd do the Level 2, and add level sensors to the digital control package. (you can do so in the "upgrades" box on the following product page).
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/1955-1...y-level-2.html
      In my opinion, if you run Shockwaves in the rear, you might as well run Shockwaves in the front. If you run Shockwaves in the front you should use our control arms. They mount the shock in double shear, correct geometry where applicable, and provide maximum suspension travel without ball joint bind.

All of our packages are similarly priced as they all use basically the same components.

We have been a dealer for ridetech for several years & have installed the CoolRide and shockwave systems. As Britt says the big difference is in the component package. The Shockwave are a more compact piece vs the separate air bag & shock which makes for a cleaner install. I would choose the Shockwave over the Coolride for my personal vehicle.

Feel free to give us a call or shoot me an email.