Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

camshaft lube, should I worry?

OK, while my 66 stang was in the shop getting painted, I freshened up the motor dropping on a set of AFR 165's, new comp cam hyd flat tappet, custom built carb, deep pan & h/v pump, etc. My question surrounds cam lubrication. This is an XE268 hyd tappet cam w/roller rockers. Comp Cam sent the red assembly lube with the cam, which I used. A brief article in the latest MustangMonthly states red assembly lube is for journals, cam bearings and roller cams. Moly lube (grey sticky) is for the hyd flat tappet lobes. My eng is all prep'd ready to drop in the car and start, but the cam is only installed with red cam lube. I've removed the center valve springs and have ZDDP break-in oil ready to go. Should I pull the cam, and re-lube with moly, or is the red assembly lube sufficient? Thanks

I built my SBF engine many moons ago, also with the 268 Comp Cams and I also used the red assembly lube (rightly or wrongly) - about 10 years later and it's still running strong. I didn't have any issues with it.

I would contact Comp Cams and ask that question.

Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Country Flag: Canada

If you have lots of spring pressure on the new heads, I'd pull the cam and use the moly. Actually, I'd probably pull it anyway. If you wipe a cam in a new engine you'll wish you had. It's easier to do it now.

Red assembly lube is meant to be fired up within a few days, you need to use the paste.
      70 GTO - Alum 5.3/4L80e, 7875
      17 GT350

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com