Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Cruising with a solid roller cam

Word on the streets is that a solid roller lifter will not hold up to low rpm cruising.

Curious to your thoughts on the matter, and if anyone has expereince with a solid roller in a street car.
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Country Flag: United States

I have about 10,000 miles on my solid roller, as long as I adjust the valves each Spring, all is well. I've had the same cam in it since 2005, and the engine was apart once for a new head gasket- and changed the main bearings out while I was in there.
      The cam was inspected and no problems. It's mostly a street car.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Alot of it depends on how the rollers are oiled and whether or not they have needles. Isky solid bearing lifters are some of the best for this type of application. I look at my 6.1 Hemi factory hydraulic rollers and they use .700 diameter wheels. I know there are a few out there with .810 and I think .840. You are limited to lifter bore diameter on how big of wheel. Bigger wheels are better because they spin alot slower at a given rpm which also lessens there oildemand and cooling requirements.

I ran the Isky Red Zone solid lifters in my 496 BBC on the street with no problems what so ever. Tue Isky lifters have pressurized oiling to the roller bearings. They also have 2 small orifices that give pressurized oil to the roller wheel and nose of the cam.

I think a tight lash can will add to the life of a solid roller on the street. Also, I would run a rev kit if possible.
      Marc Battiste

1969 Camaro
      LY6/T56/12 Bolt

I also use a solid lifter roller set-up with ISKY lifters on the street. Probably have about 8,000 miles on engine. I also believe the type of roller is key, I would stay away fom any lifter that uses a bushing. I do not check my lash every spring like mentioned above but when I do check it any adjustment has been minimal if any. Is there any reason you do not want to do hydraulic and not have to worry?

Also keep in mind if its got a lot a lift and or you spin the motor up a lot. your gonna have to keep a close eye on the lash..... I had a howards .720 lift grind in my 400SBC and I could go about 2 weeks of driving the car before i would have to re-lash it.

i had a soilid roller and it lasted about 15,000 miles the lifter bridge on a cylinder broke and took out a few things. now i run a hyd roller.

The needle bearings don't get enough lubrication at low idle RPMs and the impact brinelles ( flat spots ) the bearings.....solution.....Isky EZ Roll bushed rollers.....Crower and now I hear Comp Cams are jumping on this bandwagon just be sure your sitting down when you price them....about $1K per set....speed cost money son...now how fast do you want to go?

my friends shop has quite a few sets of bushed lifters running in severe environments like USAC Silver Crown sprinters and midgets...those are 9000+ RPM motors and lifter life has more than doubled over the Red Zone/HIPPO lifters previously fitted.

I built my big block with a Lunati solid roller in 2011. In that same year I did the complete HotRod Power Tour in which I drove from Chicago to Coco Beach Florida to start. Motor still running strong and has not been apart. The only thing you need is lifters with oilers. I use Comps Endurex.

Dante'

Flash forward. Valve train getting a little loud so I adjusted lash. The next day #6 exhaust went from a setting of 18 to 45! Hopefully I can escape with replacing the lifters and no damage was done. Keeping my fingers crossed.
      Dante'

I have a low lash solid roller in my car. They are designed to be used on the street. Lash is set at zero when cold, if you have an aluminum block and aluminum heads. Around .006" lash if you have an iron block. My dual springs are around #410 open and maybe #170 closed.

Ran Chet Herbert B6J in my 402. .561 lift 292 dur 110sep I think. Herbert lifters busted button and the reground it and sent new lifters.
      I prefer mellonized GM dist gear bronze tip FP rod.
      The Herbert lifters were not the best.
      I really want to us it in my 454, I have p30 truck motor, thinking of putting it in my air ride 78 C10.
      Need to figure out plan of attack on truck.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com