Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

BBC 402 good deal?

Hello,
      I have a 68 Camaro that currently has a 327 with Saginaw 4 speed. I am looking into either an LS swap or BBC. I ran across a BBC 396 out of a 70SS Chevelle about a 1/2 mile from my house. From what I have researched, this engine is actually a 402. The motor is complete minus carb. It has oval port heads, stock intake, distributor, harmonic balancer. it does not have manifolds or headers. The guy said that he got the engine for a 70SS chevelle project about 14 years ago. He said that the engine was rebuilt back then to almost factory specs, and has never been started. I checked the oil and it is nice and clean, the engine still turns over and is not locked. Casting number on block does show that it is from a 70 SS chevelle. The guy wont take any less than $1000 for it. I was wondering if this was a good deal or should I keep looking. With the BBC my conversion cost would be much less and it is just going to be a weekend cruiser or maybe a road trip now and then. I have a 2013 ZL1 that is taken on car rallies and such. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
      Travis

I think a relatively stock 5.3L LS engine would run circles around a 402 big block. Does that sum up my answer?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Cambodia
      With some work that engine is capable of 550-600hp. Send the heads and intake for porting and bigger valves if your on a limited budget. At a later date you can do a 496 with the same block and heads and get 700hp. Take a look at vortecpro performance to find out what old iron can do.

Look at my BBC 477 thread in the same section. 800hp from ho hum parts is nothing to sneeze at, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by uxojerry View Post

Look at my BBC 477 thread in the same section. 800hp from ho hum parts is nothing to sneeze at, lol.
      How much do you have in that BBC? I am guessing over $15k...

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Country Flag: Cambodia
      I have a little less than $15k. The engine was built intentionally small and actually cost more to build than a bigger stroker motor. In the 402, he can make 500hp with minimal work. At a later date he can stroke it to 496 if he wants. There are lots of 496s running around with 700hp and are extremely cheap for that kind of power. Another option would be to build up the 327. Lots of 383s running around with 500hp, probably the cheapest route.

A 5.3l or 6l build is a great option, but not the only option, lol.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com