Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by speED View Post
      Engine compartment looks awesome. Shafiroff is not too far from my home. How does your catch can drain back into the engine, fitting on side of oil pan?
      It does but it is not mine. Most just have drains at the bottom of the cylinder.
      '69 Camaro RS/SS "Mercury Rising"

for more build pics - Instagram @cfxlr8

Progress update:

I placed a vacuum gauage on vacuum hose from pcv to manifold vacuum - vacuum is present.

I borrowed a pcv valve for a LS engine, part #12572717, this is the replacement valve GM supplies which removes the actual valve and has only a small hole in it. Lean condition disappeared and no more smells. The only thing I need to watch is oil consumption - I will not be able to use my previous baffled grommet with this valve.

Country Flag: United States
      Cool! A catch can is definitely something you'll want to keep oil from being burned through your now-working PCV system.

I've had good luck with several, with a modified Mann-Hummel ProVent being my current choice. Mike Norris makes a nice setup too. Having the catch can drain back into your pan will make the whole system maintenance free.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I've had good luck with several, with a modified Mann-Hummel ProVent being my current choice. Mike Norris makes a nice setup too. Having the catch can drain back into your pan will make the whole system maintenance free.
      Did you determine the ProVent size based off of their chart. Based on my horsepower I would need the ProVent 400, I feel like that is huge.

Cant seem to find dimensions for the Mike Norris brand, anyone know how big it is?

Simple question for you guys....I have the butler performance valve covers on my pontiac 400 with a fitting built in for a catch can or vacuum pump. If I run just one hose off that fitting to a catch can what will be the function of the that setup? Will it just catch any access oil that tries to get pushed out of the engine when the pressure gets high? I don't have any access blow by, but I do have a tiny bit of oil that drips from the breather after some really spirited driving. Thanks as always!

A single hose from your valve cover to a catch can will be of little benefit by it's self. First off you need a catch can with two ports and internal baffles then to install a complete PCV system you need the hose from the valve cover to the catch can and a second hose from the second port on the catch can to a vacuum source either on the engine or a vacuum pump. Then on the opposite valve cover you need to install an air filter of some sort to allow clean air to enter the system. The whole point is to have some amount of air flow through the engine crankcase to vent the oil mist and gasses out to the catch can.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Makes sense...thanks for the explanation. I have a pontiac 400 and the PVC runs from the front on the intake up to the carb.so I was trying to figure out how incorporating a catch can to that setup would be helpful. Thanks again!

PCV valve should be hooked to the FRONT of the carb if available, you know, the primary side. The rear port is for a brake booster.
      Donny

Support your local hot rod shop!

Yes that is how my PVC is set up to the front of the carb

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com