Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Power Rack and Pinion with LS3 in 67 Camaro

Hi everyone,

I have done a bit of research before buying these parts and was pretty sure they would work out but I am not happy with the results. I have a Mast Motorsports LS3 with a Tremec T-56 Magnum. Driveline angle is perfect. I used the plate style upper conversion mounts and the SBC lower mounts. I modified the lower mounts to set the motor up a bit and won't be able to go up any further.
      I bought the power rack kit from Jegs. It came with a Unisteer rack and a Ididit column. I then bought the big block steering connection kit so I could work around the Headman full length headers. Not to happy there yet but I can still modify some things and get it better I believe.
      Here is the issue; I am too close to the banjo bolts on the rack with the oil pan. There is only about .050 clearance. I know the pan is going to hit if it rocks a little. My customer will not go manual rack.
      My question is has anyone used the latest offerings from Flaming River? I seen a rack at Autorama that looked promising. It looks like you can turn the sleeve where the connections are to make room. I'm already eating an expensive rack so the next one I buy I don't want to have questions if it will work.
      Thanks for any knowledge you guys may have on this.

Jason

Power Rack and Pinion with LS3 in 67 Camaro

How about switching oil pans to the SpeedTech ATS? We had a similar issue on a 69 Camaro with a Unisteer kit- but with an LS7 and the ATS pan took care of all the problems. Except it needed a remote oil filter as well.
      We've used the racks from FR and they're pretty nice- never used a kit from them though.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Well, after looking and trying a few things I am ordering the Flaming River rack and subframe. There seems to be a lack of information on this so I guess I should do a write up with photos.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by SillyFast View Post
      Well, after looking and trying a few things I am ordering the Flaming River rack and subframe. There seems to be a lack of information on this so I guess I should do a write up with photos.

Jason
      Probably a lack of information because retrofitting a rack to the stock subframe really has no benefit over a quality aftermarket steering box, in fact I have yet to see a rack conversion that doesn't create worse geometry.

Coming from a Mustang crowd and doing Mustang II stuff as an upgrade on the older Fords is where I come from. That statement has my piqued to learn more. I just ordered it today so I could always cancel the order. Please if you could tell me more about this. Should I stay with the Pitman/Idler arm setup. I was worried about ground clearance and the rest of the motor getting in the way.

One thing about me is I feel I am always learning, so please, tell me more about it.

As Tim said, the rack conversions for stock GM framed vehicles are rarely an improvement to the overall package. This is because they are adapted from other vehicles, usually ones that are much smaller such as a Dodge Omni. The car may steer more easily than stock, but they invariably create bump-steer problems. Upgrading to a new, quicker ratio box will yield better results across the board.
      Carl Ogren - Sales and Tech

Email us to get your Chassisworks/TCP Equipped vehicle featured on Facebook!
      Chris Alston's Chassisworks - Phone: 888.388.0297 ext 247

Chassisworks - TCP - Varishock - Component Drive Systems - KP Components

Quote Originally Posted by SillyFast View Post
      Coming from a Mustang crowd and doing Mustang II stuff as an upgrade on the older Fords is where I come from. That statement has my piqued to learn more. I just ordered it today so I could always cancel the order. Please if you could tell me more about this. Should I stay with the Pitman/Idler arm setup. I was worried about ground clearance and the rest of the motor getting in the way.

One thing about me is I feel I am always learning, so please, tell me more about it.
      I would buy a quick ratio steering box from Lee mfg, DSE,... etc they have a stiffer torsional spring to give them a more modern feel.

Quote Originally Posted by 71RS/SS396 View Post
      I would buy a quick ratio steering box from Lee mfg, DSE,... etc they have a stiffer torsional spring to give them a more modern feel.
      I Agree! The only time I have ever seen a power rack work correctly on a 1st Gen Camaro is with an aftermarket sub frame designed around it like DSE, Speedtech, etc.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com