Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: Sweden

Steering box, Tom Lee vs DSE

What would be the best buy? Tom Lee΄s 670 box or DSE 600 box. Anyone know if these boxes are bigger, concerned about if it fits around the long tub headers (Firebird -68). Currently I am running ah 85-87 IROC-Z box.

Pontiac Firebird -68, Deep tub, DSE 4-Link, ATS AFX-Spindle, KORE3 C5-Brakes,
      Vintage V40, Michelin PS2 255/40-17 335/35-17, 6.0L, CompCam XR265HR(212/218, 0.558/0.563, LSA115), LS6-Intake, Ported TB.

Country Flag: United States
      The 670 box is larger (about 3/8" wider from the frame ) than the factory 67-69 power steering box, big block headers can be hard to fit. as for which is "BEST" I doubt you or I could tell the difference. Tom Lee practically invented power steering ............ lol, honestly he has been building steering components for over 40 year so I DOUBT that there is anyone at any other manufacturer who has more experience. ( that is a period at the end there)
      Blake Foster
      www.speedtechperformance.com
      435-628-4300
      St. George Utah.
      it's always sunny here.

Quote Originally Posted by killer69 View Post
      The 670 box is larger (about 3/8" wider from the frame ) than the factory 67-69 power steering box, big block headers can be hard to fit. as for which is "BEST" I doubt you or I could tell the difference. Tom Lee practically invented power steering ............ lol, honestly he has been building steering components for over 40 year so I DOUBT that there is anyone at any other manufacturer who has more experience. ( that is a period at the end there)
      Yup! Agreed.

Out of the Burbs of Detroit to SoCal, then onto my ancestral homeland, the woods of Cascadia
      First, I am under the understanding that alot of the rebuilt 600 series boxes are new.

Do you know that DSE is rebuilding boxes? If they are, good for them! If not, who do they contract the work to? I have heard that several suppliers rebrand Lee boxes after establishing the torsion spring rate they like. So a steering box from a supplier, such as DSE might be a Lee box, without the choice of assist. Not saying it is (I don't KNOW), but do DSE sell enough steering boxes it justifies them setting up to do it? Maybe they do, i don't know. Certainly there are more people than Lee that know how to set up a steering box for good feel.

When I bought both my Lee boxes, I spoke with Tom about it's end use, and he provided advice on what spring he would use (and most importantly, why) and what level of effort it would require. My third box i bought from SC&C, who re-market Lee boxes with an effort level they specify.

You pays your money ad you takes your choice
      Greg Fast
      (yes, the last name is spelled correctly)

1970 Camaro RS Clone
      1984 el Camino
      1973 MGB vintage E/Prod race car
      (Soon to be an SCCA H/Prod limited prep)

I have limited choices to replace my Monza box, BUT Tom said he could set me right up with a 12.7 rebuild. Off the shelf DSe would work, never used their products but most like their parts. IF you go with lots of DSE parts might be easier to get a deal, if your just going for a new box call Lee.
      As stated there are size differences but the amount of time Lee has in building and selling boxes really sell me on them, and my application is oddball.
      Now my Caprice, if I get title issue settled, will be to start a Grand Cherokee box then maybe send it off.
      either way you will have good parts, maybe price both ways and see which fits your needs, also TALK to the guys at Lee and see what they recommend for your use.
      Information is power and a means to actually KNOW what your buying. Read up on some of the "other" brand boxes and issues people have and ministrations needed to get then to function or replaced.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

The Lee is unquestionably a better box than the DSE or any other for that matter. I believe he makes a compact unit. I'd give Mark at SC&C (610-381-6100) a call. He works closely with Lee Manufacturing and helped me get the right Lee product for my application.
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Quote Originally Posted by DippedInSauce View Post
      The Lee is unquestionably a better box than the DSE or any other for that matter. I believe he makes a compact unit. I'd give Mark at SC&C (610-381-6100) a call. He works closely with Lee Manufacturing and helped me get the right Lee product for my application.

I have a brand new GM 600 box in my 78Z, I got it from Ricks Camaro. Don't be surprised to find out that DSE and Hotchkis don't build steering boxes. I would buy a new box over a rebuilt one just cause it makes better sense. I looked into Lee's boxes and couldn't find anything to prove his were all the great over off the shelf versions.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I have a brand new GM 600 box in my 78Z, I got it from Ricks Camaro. Don't be surprised to find out that DSE and Hotchkis don't build steering boxes. I would buy a new box over a rebuilt one just cause it makes better sense. I looked into Lee's boxes and couldn't find anything to prove his were all the great over off the shelf versions.
      Lee Manufacturing produces the best steering boxes/pumps. If you weren't able to find evidence supporting this fact then your search engine must have been misfiring.
      1968 Restomod FireBird • Twin Borg Warner EFR Turbocharged LS3 • T56 Magnum • Ford 9”• Modern Sub-Frame & Suspension • C7 Seats • 24 Pistons • Forgelines

Quote Originally Posted by DippedInSauce View Post
      Lee Manufacturing produces the best steering boxes/pumps. If you weren't able to find evidence supporting this fact then your search engine must have been misfiring.
      Agreed^^^^ I'd have to think a Tom Lee built box would be better than any you could buy off the shelf since he does offer blueprinted builds.
      Big dreams, small pockets....

Chris--
      '72 Cutlass S LSA/T56 Magnum
      Bowler Performance, Rushforth Wheels, ATS, Holley EFI, KORE3, Ridetech

Project Motor City Madness

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      I will have your quote over as soon as PT has my account fixed so I can send PM's...... Larry is working on it now.

Thanks for your patience!
      Matt
      MCB - Matt's Classic Bowties
      5360 Gateway Plaza Dr.
      Benicia, Ca. 94510
      866-628-8746
      TEXT ONLY: 925-989-9091 (Replied 8-4)
      www.mcbparts.com

Email: [email protected]
      Like us on Facebook for exclusive offers, info and chat: www.facebook.com/mcbparts
      Hours: Monday to Friday 8am - 4pm Pacific
      We ALWAYS enjoy talking to our customers!
      We have a full time staff to answer ALL Questions, Tech Support or Order Status Tracking!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com