Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Go Pro tips and tricks

I have a GoPro Hero3 Black edition and I was hoping to start a thread with a collection of tips and tricks for taking video, editing video and publishing video. I have been struggling to make reasonable videos and was hoping to tap into some of the experience here.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Here's a cool little addon for your GoPro? Watch the video.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ro-hero-camera

A couple of months ago I downloaded and starting using GoPro Studio for editing my GoPro videos and it is a LOT easier and faster to use than Windows Movie Maker (to me anyway).

For capturing video, first and foremost...get some Ram Mounts for the camera. They make it so much easier to get the camera pointed in the right direction and making sure it stays there.

I use the Android app on my phone to preview the shot to make sure and also to start and stop the recording. I turn the WiFi back off if the camera is going to sit very long as it kills the battery.
      Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Thanks Lance,
      I just downloaded that GoPro app and I don't know why I haven't done that sooner. The app pretty much makes the wifi remote unnecessary. What video resolution frame rate settings do you find work best for say a high speed on track video? I also want to take some suspension video to see what is happening under there.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      Thanks Lance,
      I just downloaded that GoPro app and I don't know why I haven't done that sooner. The app pretty much makes the wifi remote unnecessary. What video resolution frame rate settings do you find work best for say a high speed on track video? I also want to take some suspension video to see what is happening under there.
      Same here, I downloaded that App & put my remote in a Desk Drawer never to be seen again

Okay wait, are we talking about two different things? There is the app that goes on your phone that you use to control your GoPro via WiFi and then there is the Software that you download to your PC to use to view, edit, enhance and save videos from your GoPro.

I have and both but never tried to edit any video on my phone, nor use my laptop to control my GoPro.

The only settings I've changed on my Silver Hero 3 was turn the Fstop on which helped the washing out of the windshield when I run the camera inside. Not sure what resolution or frame speed I'm using, but the videos look good to me.
      Lance

I've used my hero 3 Black on my dirtbike a lot. One thing I've noticed is that on rougher terrain having a higher frame rate can make the videos not look good. I'm sure on a smooth surface like pavement this probably isn't a problem, but you never know.

I usually run mine at 1080p @ 30fps, which consistently gives good videos, and I believe that is the resolution and frame rate that the camera defaults to.

The app is great for being able to see what is in front of the camera. I hate it when you think you're going to have a cool video, but then when you watch it you can hardly see what's going on. Also being able to control the camera through the app is nice, it can definitely make up for not having a remote.

The GoPro Cineform studio is pretty good at editing videos, but being free it doesn't have too many extra features. If you're a big time video editor, you'll probably need to invest in better software.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

The smartphone app is great for controlling the camera and I'm sold on that over the remote. Now lets talk editing. This is where I'm lost. I can save a video from the camera to my computer. But what do I do with it then?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Go here... http://shop.gopro.com/softwareandapp...ro-Studio.html

Download and install GoPro Studio on your computer.

Get the video files from your camera to the PC, then open the GoPro Studio, import the videos into the software and start playing.

It's very user friendly once you play around with it a bit. Start with some short videos and just try cutting clips, putting clips together, adding text...etc.
      Lance

I use a hero 3 and take video from inside the car at 1080p - 60 fps in the wide mode. If you take in-car video, make sure you turn on spot metering so the windshield area isn't overexposed. I like the view because I can see most of my gauges, and my hands on the steering wheel. It has helped me change my driving style, especially with how I steer. I also use the GoPro editing software that is free to download and it works very well. Just be prepared to spend some time if your doing multiple videos, the processing seems to take a while.

aside: Are you running the WDCR region at FedEx on Oct 12? If so, I'll see you there.
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Being the over intelligent guy that I am, I have had the GoPro app downloaded for quite some time (haven't used it in a while but..) I thought the WiFi back had to be on, on the camera. Now I read that you guy are putting the WiFi in the desk and forgetting about it. Does the camera now sync up to the iPhone via Bluetooth?
      It's ok, you guys are going to be older one of these days hahahaha........

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

It depends on which camera you have I think. I have the hero 3 silver which has built in WiFi, no piggy back. I just have to turn the WiFi on on the camera and set the phone to connect to it. Other cameras have different features and connect in different ways.

Leaving the WiFi on will chew the battery up though. One issue I always seem to have is getting the WiFi to turn off. You are supposed to be able to press the button for 3 seconds or until the blue light comes on and then release and it goes off. For me it usually takes me about 5 - 10 tries before it'll blink 7 times and turn off like it is supposed to. It generally works better if I disconnect my phone from the WiFi signal first but that is also a PITA. Does anyone else ever have this trouble?
      Lance

I have the Hero 2 and a WiFi back

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I think with that camera you still need the WiFi back but you can use the app on your phone to connect to it instead of the remote control.
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by Schubitzky View Post
      aside: Are you running the WDCR region at FedEx on Oct 12? If so, I'll see you there.
      Mike,
      Yes as a matter of fact I'm registered in CAM class for the Oct 12th WDCR event. Looks like there will be at least three of us from PT there that day. See you there.

Steve
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Mike,
      Yes as a matter of fact I'm registered in CAM class for the Oct 12th WDCR event. Looks like there will be at least three of us from PT there that day. See you there.

Steve
      cool. i usually run in susquehanna region, but I ran with WDCR for the first time at the last event. there was 3 of us there that day and we finished within .047 secs of each other. I had to come back hoping for more of the same.
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Well I don't expect to be anywhere close to competitive. My goal is to use this event as a shake down in preperation for next season.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

...My goal is to use this event as a shake down in preperation for next season.
      Ditto for me on that. I'll be there and look forward to seeing PT represented in the CAM class.

Lance

Go Pro tips and tricks

Sorry for off topic: any interest in coordinating 'pit' locations on 10/12 @ FedEx?

Only consideration for me is to try and be at edge of the paddock / parking lot so family and friends that attend can set up (tailgating) without feeling in the way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com