Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

If you want something done right, do it yourself...

Alright, so my experience, while somewhat limited, tells me I'm okay, but I need to throw this out there for my sanity... I had my car in a local rod mod/restoration shop a couple of months ago for some work I just didn't want to deal with (wiring up a fell set of Autometer gauges using factory wiring) and, while it was in there, I told the guy to go ahead and just change all of the fluids - Engine oil, coolant, diff, etc. He had a special running and it just seemed like an easy no brainer.

Well, I've driven the car probably 300-400 miles since then and, for whatever reason, I never thought to check the oil level for myself. Just yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to look at the ole dipstick and, well, it was bone dry... So, I called the guy and asked him how many quarts he put in my car and he told me 5. I have a Moroso 7 quart pan...!

Now, the oil pressure has been great every time I've driven it - Runs around 55-60 at warm cruising speeds and 20-25 at warm idle. However, being that I've driven it around 400 miles with the oil level this low, I can't help but wonder if I've done some damage to my engine. I haven't beat on it real hard in this time, probably less than 10 quick rips up to about 5k rpm and kept it below 4k rpm at all other times, mostly cruising around 2,000-2,500 rpm. The car has been running just fine, but that just seems like a really big oil level deficit...

That said, I need some reassurance... What are your thoughts? Am I ok, or did I possibly do some long term damage?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyBoy View Post
      Alright, so my experience, while somewhat limited, tells me I'm okay, but I need to throw this out there for my sanity... I had my car in a local rod mod/restoration shop a couple of months ago for some work I just didn't want to deal with (wiring up a fell set of Autometer gauges using factory wiring) and, while it was in there, I told the guy to go ahead and just change all of the fluids - Engine oil, coolant, diff, etc. He had a special running and it just seemed like an easy no brainer.

Well, I've driven the car probably 300-400 miles since then and, for whatever reason, I never thought to check the oil level for myself. Just yesterday, I thought it might be a good idea to look at the ole dipstick and, well, it was bone dry... So, I called the guy and asked him how many quarts he put in my car and he told me 5. I have a Moroso 7 quart pan...!

Now, the oil pressure has been great every time I've driven it - Runs around 55-60 at warm cruising speeds and 20-25 at warm idle. However, being that I've driven it around 400 miles with the oil level this low, I can't help but wonder if I've done some damage to my engine. I haven't beat on it real hard in this time, probably less than 10 quick rips up to about 5k rpm and kept it below 4k rpm at all other times, mostly cruising around 2,000-2,500 rpm. The car has been running just fine, but that just seems like a really big oil level deficit...

That said, I need some reassurance... What are your thoughts? Am I ok, or did I possibly do some long term damage?
      My gut feeling is that it is probably OK.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Is the Moroso pan any deeper than stock? My only thought would be that if it is deeper, as long as it has the correct pickup close to the bottom of the pan, there should not be any problems. The extra capacity is more needed at high RPM's.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      Is the Moroso pan any deeper than stock? My only thought would be that if it is deeper, as long as it has the correct pickup close to the bottom of the pan, there should not be any problems. The extra capacity is more needed at high RPM's.
      You know, I can't remember how deep the stock pan was... Does this look any deeper? Thanks for the replies!

If you want something done right, do it yourself...

So long as you always had oil pressure you're fine.

I did always have strong oil pressure. I've also been reading about people running 6 qts with a 7 qt pan for windage improvements...?

I also vote you're OK

PS----most mechanics would look down at the engine and put 5Q in.....they would have no way of knowing
      ---you had some obligation to inform them that you had somthing other than a stock configuration installed.
      This is the build thread for my car
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Beak-Job-quot

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by hotrodneb View Post
      I also vote you're OK

PS----most mechanics would look down at the engine and put 5Q in.....they would have no way of knowing
      ---you had some obligation to inform them that you had somthing other than a stock configuration installed.
      Yes, they did have a way of knowing. They should have checked the dipstick. He also said this was done at the local hot rod shop, not the quicky lube.

People don't use common sense, dipsticks show oil level. The guy flat didnt give a sh"t and since his "special" was for 5qts, buddy you only get 5qts.

And if he is pulling the plug on that low sump he should have figured it is not a stock pan and asked how much.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
      Yes, they did have a way of knowing. They should have checked the dipstick. He also said this was done at the local hot rod shop, not the quicky lube.
      Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking... Plus, regardless of the level shown on the dipstick, if you're a "hot rod shop" that builds engines, which he claims to be, he should know it's not a 5 quart pan just by looking at it... Just like Skip Fix said.

Thanks everyone for your responses! I'm thinking I'm good too... Just changed the oil and found there was, in fact, about 4.75 quarts in it... Ridiculous. It's now at the right level and running like a beast!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com