Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

69 camaro trunk battery confusion!!!!!

Can anyone recommend what battery to put in my trunk??I also like the idea of mounting a bat. tender there too.Any particular brands of both to use!? It's an ls3 w/procharger-pw,el,f pump,ac, lots of electrical hungry stuff,THANX for any help!!

Country Flag: United States
      You absolutely need an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery. I prefer Odyssey but many use optima batteries. If you need some basic battery info here is a good article.

http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/artic...ry-basics.html
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

How is your charging/underhood wiring configured? Pics? There's a lot of upgrades you should take advantage of that is not present in any aftermarket wiring offering that I've ever seen. PM menif that's easier-I can give ya my phone number to chat about it, too. For example, I'd like to see you have nearly NO voltage drop at any point around the car while operating your accessories. Plus, with a battery relocation-are you ever gonna drag it? If so, you need a cut-off switch, battery requires an enclosure, too-which needs to be grounded and vented.
      "...if at first you don't succeed, try again.
      If you still don't succeed, then quit-no sense being a damn fool about it..."
      -W.C. Fields

HARNESSWORX
      (formerly gmachinz)

For my street/ pro-touring / occasional event Camaro , I have a metal Taylor battery Box and wiring kit I bought from Lane Automotive/ Motorstate/ Allstar in Michigan .
      The metal Taylor box is sealed and vented.
      The wire kit is fine strand and flexible .
      I use a standard GM AC Delco 78 series battery .
      I put a 1.5 amp trickle charger on it every week or two if I haven't been driving it often .
      In the winter , I pull the battery out of the car and charge it on my workbench.
      I've never had a problem with fluid or acid leaks .
      Last edited by JEFFTATE; 10-09-2014 at 07:52 AM.
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

There are also small mountable battery tenders available for about $30. All you would have to do is plug it into your wall outlet when the car sits.
      1963 Chevrolet Corvair Pro-Touring Project
      1964 Chevrolet Corvair Coupe Rat Rod/ Patina Thing
      2012 Mazda 3 I Sport Sedan

I use a yellow top optima in my '67 with an LQ9. I used the MAD Electrical solenoid in the trunk and distribution blocks under the hood, 8 awg wire from the alt to the battery, and 1/0 from the battery to the starter.

I have the optima red top battery in my 70 nova with an LS1. Been in there for 10 years now with no issues. It sits in my garage all winter without the trickle charger and still starts in spring. I do use the cutoff switch though and turn it off at end of season. Spring comes, I charge it overnight on a 2 amp charger. Drive all summer and most of fall. I take the car drag racing and was under the impression I needed a box. I bought the moroso plastic box, but never installed it. Tech inspection never told me I needed it.

Mark

70 Nova, Hotchkis springs and sway bar GW uppers, Bilsteins, , sub connectors, Smooth firewall hidden wiper motor, LS1, 425 rwhp, 175 NOS Ridetech 4 link HQ Coilovers, Mini tubs, 315's. Ridetech billet gas cap, FLT level 5 4L60E, Yank

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com