Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Build up 302DZ or LS3?

Hey I have a 1969 Camaro Z28 with a small block 302DZ engine. The car has ridetech rear suspension, 5spd trans, wildwood disc brakes. Pretty much the engine is stock other than having headers. It has a Holley 4 barrel carberator. The question I have is how do I make this engine as fast a possible without spending ridiculous amounts of money? Was also thinking about possibly selling this 302DZ and buying a custom-built LS3. Which would run me all said and done for engine I am looking at around 14k installed. Though this 302 is in excellent condition and could prob get between 6-8.5k. Also I do not want to spend for $5000 upgrading the 302 with new heads, supercharger, EFI and then decide I should have just installed LS3 to begin with. A lot of people have told me to hold into the 302DZ and sell it in 10+ yrs as will be worth much more....? The car primarily is a street vehicle and will probably take the car to the track four-five times a year. Comments?
      Last edited by JEFFTATE; 09-30-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Country Flag: United States
      The 302DZ is relatively rare, so I would be inclined to keep it as is, or if you plan to keep the car for a long time, sell it to someone doing a rest of a Z28. Even the base LS3 will run circles around a built 302 and offer better drivability and economy.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Is it the original motor for your Camaro? I personally would keep the 302 because it is a Z code, that's not very common. If you're set on getting an LS, I'd put the 302 in storage in case you ever want to sell the car you can put it back in.
      Nelson
      1969 Chevelle "Cone Smasher" Family Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...uot?highlight=

1984 "Rustang" GT, 5.0, 5 Speed Project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...T-(Slow-Build)

So is the car a real Z28... and is that the original DZ302 to the car? I think anything other than the 302 would be sacrilegious. I'd build another Camaro for the LS3 in this case. Yes, the DZ302 is worth big money, but it's worth even more so with the original car. A 69 Z28 with an LS3 is just another Camaro IMO. The LS3 is a great engine for sure, but honestly, in the pro-touring world, is nothing special in my eyes, it's become expected. Without the 302 the history and personality of the car is wiped clean. May as well be a Chinese crate Camaro.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Build a 302 CI ls motor with set of nice ported ls heads.
      1972 Nova Ridetech, Forgeline, Falken Tires, Wilwood, Bowler Performance Transmission, Lingenfelter Performance Engineering.

Country Flag: Canada
      Quote Originally Posted by CampbellshotrodsAZ View Post
      So is the car a real Z28... and is that the original DZ302 to the car? I think anything other than the 302 would be sacrilegious. I'd build another Camaro for the LS3 in this case. Yes, the DZ302 is worth big money, but it's worth even more so with the original car. A 69 Z28 with an LS3 is just another Camaro IMO. The LS3 is a great engine for sure, but honestly, in the pro-touring world, is nothing special in my eyes, it's become expected. Without the 302 the history and personality of the car is wiped clean. May as well be a Chinese crate Camaro.
      I agree 100% A real numbers matching 69 Z/28 is something they aren't making any more of. There's nothing wrong with modifying it or driving it (I would do both) but I would always make sure I could return it to stock if need be.
      Short and wide 1965 GMC 910.

Build up 302DZ or LS3?

I understand the importance of the 302DZ to the car I have. The Camaro is an X33 Z28, though not %100 sure that engine matches the VIN on car. I don't have a reason not to believe just not sure. How can I check if it is numbers matching? What I will most likely end up doing is crating the 302, pack away in garage and when I go to sell I can either just sell with engine or sell engine separately down the road. There is a bad ass LS3 custom built by Bill Smith in AZ I would like to through in the car.

Country Flag: Cambodia
      The engine numbers are not mated to the vin. Go to the Chevelle forum with the engine and head numbers and they will tell if you have a 1969 DZ 302. Hot rod magazine tweaked a DZ 302 for 430hp or so and then did a head swap to afr 210s and got 532hp or so. Max hp was around 7300rpm with the 210s. You could do the 210 swap and efi for $5k or so and hold the original heads if you ever sell the car.

I'd say keep and build the 302 if numbers don't match, even if it costs almost as much as the LS swap... It would make for a very cool, uncommon build.

If the numbers do match, DON'T build it! Pull it, keep it and build another engine. That's like having an ever appreciating asset that, if put back in your car should you ever decide to sell it, will make your car priceless.

Just my $.02

fuel injected , aluminum block , LS3 is far superior in performance, driveability, and durability . , A solid lift, flat tappet cam in a 302DZ is a royal pain ..
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

First step should be to find out if that engine matches or not. I'd prbly crate it and save it either way.
      What are the horespower goals? Whats the budget?
      For $14k I dont think I'd do an LS3. I'd go something more exotic like LS7 or LSA..
      There is that black convertible camaro on here who has an LSA with bolt ons that has something like 800hp and he claims 20mpg on the hwy..Cant beat the modern engines for that!

First of all add in a smaller set of afr heads. Keep cam properly reasonable and you can make it run hard and strong. You don't need high rpm solid lifter cam in new incarnation.
      As for dumping an SBC for an LSx comexcon people get over it, yeah they make good power but cost a whole bunch more to convert too.
      And as for me when I saw one of my SBC engines I set up for customer eat his brothers Mast LSx in heads up race,,,,, by several car lengths. Watched both cars driven by both brothers drive both cars and that older 427 SBC is still a formidable engine.
      Watched so many people brag and crow for LSx but the cost of these conversions are still too high especially since I can build an SBC for so much less.
      And I have built some pretty stout SBC from scrap pile parts. I understand wanting new stuff but gee whiz guys, SBC didn't last in over 50 yrs production for no reason.
      Smart build on 302 short block,better heads, smarter hyd roller cam and well built efi done deal.

Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com