Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Electric vacuum booster VS Hydraboost

I currently have Wilwood D-52 calipers on the front and drums on the back, going to convert the rears to disc as well...currently looking at Wilwood D54's. I don't race the car so don't think I need 4-6 piston calipers for my usage.

I also need to address a low vacuum issue. I am only drawing 7-8" of vacuum at idle (cold) once the car gets all warmed up I am at about 11-12"

I don't want manual brakes so I see my two options as Hydraboost or an electric vacuum pump.

I am sure there are pros and cons to each. I have a lot of other upgrades planned for this winter so the money I save on going with a electric pump VS HB would come in handy in other ares but I obviously want my brakes to be right.

Would love some opinions on which route to go.

You are correct, there are pros and cons with each, however if it was mine, I'd go Hydroboost and here's why. First and foremost, I hate vacuum pumps. In my experience, they not particularly inexpensive, tend to be unreliable, tend to cycle much more frequently than advertised and can be difficult to isolate with respect to vibration and noise...aka, they're obnoxious when the run. You could add a vacuum accumulator/canister to reduce the cycle rate of the pump, however that's another $60-$100 and more space, etc. Additionally, a booster with more effective diaphragm area (like a dual-9" unit) would provide more gain as well, but now you're talking another chunk of cash. With hydroboost, you shouldn't have a shortage of gain/boost and it will be irrespective of what you choose to do with the engine, so the added expense up front would pay off in the long run IMO. HB's tend to last hundred's of thousands of miles, so the first one you buy will also be the last for most people.

Tobin
      KORE3
      It's what I does.

Thank Tobin,, I had talked to you about the HB and that was the direction I was leaning. I will be giving you a call.

Pat

Just spoke to tobin today and ordered my hydroboost unit with rear z06 parking brake assembly

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com