Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Dual inline EFI pump questions - Bosch 044

So I have an Integrated Engineering surge tank with a Bosch 044 pump mounted in it next to my engine bay. I have a non-baffled tank that I can't easily mount a pump inside of. I am not willing to change the gas tank setup at this point in time, but I was thinking about putting a couple of submergible fuel houses in the tank on a Y adapter off of the pickup to the rear on both sides to lessen the chance of starving the pump. I need to install an external pump to feed the surge tank up front. I was looking at getting another Bosch 254 0580 044 for this.

What are the downsides or issues I might run into doing this? Is there any reason other than saving money or having less noise to use a different pump at the tank?

Now being a rotary vane pump, will it just stall if one of the pumps dies, or am I more likely to have it lean out? I want to put a failsafe in so if one pump dies, both shut off and the ignition cuts out to prevent damage. What are my best options for doing so?

This is feeding a turbo 4 cylinder and I don't see myself reaching the limits of a single Bosch 044. I'll probably top out around 400hp later on. But I need to get fuel to the surge tank from the factory gas tank.

Why not use the Aeromotive Phantom in tank system?
      1967 El Camino 408ci LSx....and the build begins!
      1967 Turbocharged 408ci LSx Chevelle - 1012 rwhp, 959 rwtq 67 Chevelle
      2009 Supercharged Silverado - On the Dyno

I wish I knew about that before I started going this route, looks like a really good option. I got the surge tank with a bunch of other parts I needed from a buddy for dirt cheap. I never would've paid the $480 this surge tank and pump cost new. I don't want to spend that kind of money now on something different when a second pump is under $200. This is a very low budget project.

I also don't think I have room above my tank to run the lines to a pump like that. I'm really thinking about trying to sell the surge tank now though to go with one of those. I'll have to go see how much room I actually have between the tank and floor.

Be aware the Phantom Pump sell for around $1,100.
      Oliver Shultz
      It's OK to giggle and snicker. don't laugh and point

Maybe one of the higher end ones does.

The one with the 200lph pump is $440. Supports up to 425hp boosted and I'm thinking my long-term ceiling with this motor is going to be 350-400hp.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ae...FShp7AodhH4Aig

I have a holley blue pump taking fuel from the main tank and feeding a surge tank I made out of a small C02 welding bottle. The bottle has a 5 psi check valve that sends excess fuel back to the main tank.
      The C02 bottle has a fitting on the bottom that feeds fuel to a Bosch 44 on the frame that in turn feeds the injectors and a pressure regulator that sends excess fuel back to the C02 surge bottle. I mounted the whole set up in the trunk to reduce heating effect rather than the engine compartment. The system works great with no issues under high G loads. The Bosch 44 is a great pump, I had an Aeromotive but like the Bosch 44 better.

So I've decided I'm not going to go with the Phantom at this point in time. I'll wait until I do a fuel cell in the car. The factory tank is right against the floor and I don't want to do the necessary modifications to make it fit now.

What's my best option for a failsafe? I want power for both pumps to shut off if one stops working.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com