Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Air In Brake Line

Is it possible to have an air leak in a brake line or connection yet not leak fluid? Ive been trying to bleed my brakes for a couple weeks and I keep getting lots of bubbles up in the master when you release the pedal. Ive bench bleed the master several times (no air at all, even after I get all the bubbles), Ive replaced the master, Ive replaced the rear block on top of the rear axle, Ive replace the rear lines on the axle, yet I cant get the rear to bleed.

This all started when I replaced the rear steel lines with SS that I flared myself and tried to vac bleed. When I kept getting air in MC I replaced with copper/nickel allow thinking the flare was the issue. (I also flare that with eastwood bench flare tool) To be on the safe side I also replace the rear block on the rear end. Only thing I haven't replaced are the rear flex line, which aren't that old but I guess the SS could have crushed the male nipple like it kind of did the brass block on the rear end. I also reused the crush washers on the banjo fitting on the caliper, maybe bad idea. I desperately want to go to a car show on Sat and run Auto X Sun. Any thoughts?

BTW Fronts are fine. Running Wilwood master, Wilwood D154 rear, Baer track 4 front

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

are you using the Speed bleeders? i've heard horror stories with those.

Air In Brake Line

No, the stock bleeder on caliper

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

old trick we would do in the motorsports world is tap the caliper with a rubber mallet. you would be surprised how many bubbles would hold on to inside of the calipers. might be the same for your distribution blocks. Give it a try, and i would go to the old fashion way of bleeding them.

Air In Brake Line

Yes I taped on the caliper. Baer actually says that in there bleeding instructions.

Anyone know of a off the shelf flex line with 10mm banjo and 3/16 IF about 13-16 long. As big as STL is there is a shortage of performance shops. So I may try a local parts house like advanced

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Air In Brake Line

I'm still banging my f-ing head against the wall wall here. I replace the rear flex lines and it doesn't seem to have helped. Waiting for a helper to arrive now to confirm my fears. I called Wilwood again today and they didn't have much advice for me.

I can't understand why I'm getting so much air back in the master when I release the pedal, yet I'm not dripping even a drop of fluid. Pull the MC and bench bleed, zero bubble from the first stroke.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Air In Brake Line

The mods are free to move this to disc brake section. In the 25 years I've owned this car this has got to be the most disgusted I've ever been with it. It's brake bleeding for Christ sakes yet I can't get it done.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Some folks say misery loves company. Not sure about that. I'm having the same problem with a completely new system also. Master has been changed and all lines checked for leaks - finding none, but still get air bubbles. Haven't heard about tapping the calipers but will try that next. If I learn anything I'll sure post it up for you. In the mean time I hope you solve the problem and if you do, sure would appreciate a post. Good luck

Im pretty sure I popped my proportioning valve trying to vac bleed and thats why I was never able to bleed it. Its was a modified disc/drum unit so I bought a disc/disc unit. It looked like it was in the popped position when I pulled and it was also reading closed with a meter. That might also make sense why when I released the brake pedal Id get bubbles back in the MC as the PV wasn't allowing that fluid to move freely to the rear.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

I spent a lot of time trying to bleed the rear of a 77 Lemans. I put the rear higher in the air than the master cylinder as the last resort and that didnt work. An older mechanic said open the bleeders and I did and he pumped the brakes a couple of times with the bleeders open and then said to bleed the brakes and IT WORKED. I had brake fluid every where but thats what brake clean is for I was informed

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      did you get it?

I don't even bother with the factory combo valves now. I just run a tee to the fronts and an adjustible to the rears.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

Yeah what Vince said, dump prop valves and go simple as basic adjustable prop valve tied into rear line out of master cylinder. Very basic mod and keeps stupid/mistake from factoring into multiple head banging sessions.
      Modding ANYTHING then having issues means go back and recheck it. FYI.
      Oh and a a quick way to eliminate parts are to start blocking off sections starting at master cylinder.
      Just the other day had a Scion come in with mushy ,crap pedal. Pulled wheels for inspection and had rusted rotors in rear and tada, used brake line clamps and tada full hard pedal. Wound up replacing rear pads, hardware, rotors and 1 caliper as it was rusted to slide pin.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I just got a new disc/disc combo valve today from CPP. Going to install it when I get home from work. I know I could use a tee to the fronts and an adjustable to the rears or just bought the Wilwood setup, but I have factory style SS inline lines. Meaning I would have to alter the lines or add pieces to make ether of those two options work. I didn't want to do that because SS is so hard to flare and I like a clean look. If I redo the lines with copper/nickel allow at some point I will go that route. Wilwood has said I should really have 3/16 running all the way back for 4 wheel disc vs the 1/4 I have for the original drums.

Pontiac Powered 72 GTO

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com