Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Anyone running a Classic Dash (Covans Classic) in a 69 Firebird?

I'm trying to decide on the dash for my 69 firebird. I have an original dash that was in the car but the previous owner decided to cut pieces out (stereo, etc.) and also had drilled some holes and screwed other things to the dash, so either way I'm looking like I'm going to replace it. I have looked at the Dakota Digital VHX guages for the stock dash and these look great with some options to choose from. The problem is, I'm not sure I like the original dash even after sanding off the chrome paint around the raised edges! Also, since my dash was cut up and didn't have everything included, can anyone tell me if the top opening was for a heater/AC vent? I know the middle cutout was for the controls and the lower section was for the radio, but that looks to have been cut out for a single din modern radio at some point. It's hard to imagine whether I could "upgrade" the look of this dash enough to make it a little more modern, even with the VHX guages. If anyone has a pictures to share of their upgraded stock dash that would be great.

So my only other option for a '69 is the Classic Dash, which I could choose a number of different guages to fill (autometer, etc). My main concern is that the stock dash when installed was sloped pretty severely which is why the 2 guage pods where pointed upward. I can't tell from the pictures, but does the Classic Dash panel sit a little more vertical, or are the cutouts done so that the guages will be pointed up correctly to be seen without much problem? Unfortunately the Classic Dash don't provide the option for 5" speedo and tach, so I can only fit 3 3/8" with the fuel, temp, etc only being 2 1/8". Does anyone have any picture of their setup using the Classic Dash? I'd love to see as many options as possible as I need to order the dash and gauges in the very near future as we are at the point of re-wiring the entire car with an AAW kit, and this along with the aftermarket AC unit I need to also make a decision on are really starting to drive me insane!!

Any pictures would be helpful!

Are you talking about the Covans Classic? If so I have this one from when I started on the car. I have since gone another direction. Hope it is what you are looking for.
      Name:  2011-03-25_23-49-48_923.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  181.9 KB
      Greg

Hi Greg, yes that is what I'm looking for! On the websites I've seen they only list it as Classic Dash. Can you tell me what you thought of the fit/finish? When the gauges were in, were they easily read? For a 69 Firebird the only options that I know of are the stock dash and this dash. The stock heating controls I have I'm not sure are usable, and I am trying to decide on an aftermarket AC unit. I like the Restomod Air option if I can get some additional information from them as I'm waiting for a call back. The controls they offer could take care of all my needs I think.

I like the clean look that this panel offers and I think it might offer a more updated look to the interior without being something which would look "outdated" in the future. Your thoughts?

You mentioned you decided to go another direction, can you tell me what that is and why? I haven't been able to see what this panel looks like and how well the fit is. I'd much prefer an option for 5" speedo and tach, but unless I want to make a custom dash I don't think there is anything out there I can use.

thanks for the pic!

07 Jeep GC-SRT8
      01 Lightning (sold)
      96 Impala SS (sold)
      93 RX-7 Twin Turbo (sold)
      90 Wrangler 413 cid (AMC 401 +0.060)
      79 Trans Am WS6
      71 Formula 400 (sold)
      72 Formula 350 (sold)
      71 Firebird 350 (sold)
      69 Firebird 462 cid (455 +0.030)

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com