Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Re-cap of the Speedway Motors CAM Class Invitational @ SCCA Pro-Solo Finale

Excerpted from SCCA.com Pro Solo Finale report:

Directly preceding the SCCA Pro Solo Finale Challenge rounds was the inaugural Speedway Motors SCCA Classic American Muscle Invitational. Josh Leisinger, of Souix Falls, South Dakota, took home the win, in a competition that was very popular among drivers.

“This is my first SCCA event,” Leisinger said. “The track is huge and fast. The surface was awesome and each of the SCCA folks were very helpful.

“With the invitational nature of this competition, there were a lot of fast cars here with some tough competition. I had to be on my ‘A’ game and couldn’t take any of the other drivers lightly. Using the ‘Christmas Tree’ was something different and created some more strategy for the competition.”

The CAM Challenge was not only popular amongst those who competed, but also spectators at the event. The classic, high-powered Detroit iron attracted the attention of the other ProSolo competitors, but also some locals who have never been to National-level Solo events.

Chuck Jones, of Lincoln, Nebraska, was an SCCA member in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Through his recent attendance at Nebraska Region SCCA events, as well as today’s event, as a spectator, Jones said he is starting to fall back in love with racing.

“When I was a kid I used to go out to stock cars races in which Speedway Motors sponsored cars,” Jones said. “I’ve grown up with the company, in some ways. They have a car here that they are sponsoring, which is awesome.”

The Invitational had a field of 24 entries split amongst 3 classes. Those classes were: CAM/S (Sport) for 2 seat sports cars, CAM/T (Traditional) for muscle cars 1959 through the late seventies, and CAM/C (Contemporary) for all late model muscle cars and the C-4 Corvette.

CAM/S drivers were in order they qualified:
      1) Josh Leisinger 1964 Corvette 76.327
      2) Scott Frazier 1965 Ford Cobra 76.508
      3) Bruce Cambern 1965 Ford Cobra 79.211

CAM/T
      1) Mike Dusold 1968 Camaro 78.321
      2) Robbie Unser 1964 Nova 79.471
      3) Alan Schoonmaker 1969 Z/28 Camaro 79.762
      4) Andrew Chenoweth 1970 Challenger 81.653
      5) Jared Leisinger 1970 Chev C10 82.095
      6) Jinx Jordan 1969 Camaro Z/28 82.780
      7) Kurt Chenoweth 1970 Challenger R/T 84.319
      8) Don Knop 1966 Shelby Mustang 350GTH 84.778
      9) Karen Leisinger 1970 Camaro 87.859
      10) Justin Dermody 1978 Trans Am 88.430
      11) Craig Worm 1969 Camaro RS 94.354
      12) Shawn McNeil 1971 Skylark 101.216

CAM/C
      1) Dave Feighner 1995 Mustang Cobra R 78.321
      2) Marcus Merideth 2007 2007 Mustang Shelby 79.182
      3) Jennifer Merideth 2007 Mustang Shelby 79.455
      4) Dave Dusterberg 2005 Mustang GT 81.033
      5) Jeremiah Stotler 2010 Camaro 81.726
      6) Lorien Feighner 2012 Mustang GT 81.998
      7) Keith Lamming 2011 Camaro SS 82.021
      8) John Fehring 2000 Trans Am 82.177
      9) Lance Hamilton Monte Carlo SS 83.386

To find the results of eliminations, go here: http://scca.cdn.racersites.com/prod/...0CHALLENGE.pdf
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

I hope this class takes off and they put a little more guidance on what year/cars are eligible instead of leaving it up to the regions. I like how they split it into three sub classes, but that probably won't work for the smaller regions due to low car counts. Are there any pictures of the CAM cars from the invitiational or the first two days of the solo nationals?
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Mike, here is a good link to photos of the entire field: https://www.facebook.com/solomatters...type=1&theater

The classing used in the Invitational and during the Nationals is pretty close to what you'll see next year. CAM is becoming a category with 3 classes. This year was meant for Regions to experiment with CAM to see what worked. The 3 classes are a result of what was learned. As always whether stated in class rules or not, Regions are free to add, combine, or delete classes as their needs warrant. As an example, here in the Indy Region, CAM makes up 10 to 20% of our entries at events but the overwhelming majority of entries are CAM/C cars. We have 2 CAM/T regulars who have already indicated that they have no interest in competing separately form the rest. That means unless things change, next year we will continue to offer 1 CAM class. Many classes in many Regions see single or only a couple entries event after event. Some folks just like to collect trophies or are worried they won't be competitive in another class. Whatever, they're coming to events and having fun and that's all that really matters.

More on the Invitational: The CAM competitors were well received by most in attendance at the Pro Solo Finale. Our qualifying session was from 7:30 to 8 AM before the Pro Solo began for the day. Now usually on an early Sunday of any National Solo event there aren't many people stirring that absolutely don't have to. Not so this time. We had to be in our grid by 7:20AM. At that time the CAM grid looked like the grid of a major race like the Indy 500 before the call to start engines. IT was crawling with people. Also, every bit of spectator area was occupied! People were digging it. Qualifying went fast and there was some good action with all 24 entries getting 4 qualifying runs by 8. The Christmas tree gave a couple of people fits but it went smoothly otherwise. Qualifying was done only to set the "dials" we would compete on in eliminations. The fastest car in each class sets the dial for the entire class in eliminations. In a given pairing, the car with a higher "dial" gets the light first, just like in bracket racing. There are differences though. As I already stated, the dial isn't an individual thing but a class thing. In order to prevent sandbagging, if a cars goes faster than their dial, the new time becomes that individual competitor's new dial. So, it's better to have a hard dial than a soft one. The dial is calculated by taking the fastest qualifying time and dividing by 2. A competitor's qualifying time is the sum of the fastest time from each lane.

After qualifying we had a drivers meeting at Raleigh Boreen's (the person who put the Invitational together and is the de-facto SCCA head of the CAM program) trailer. As we dined on doughnuts, coffee, and juice the competitors drew numbers from a hat to determine their spot for first round of eliminations With 24 entries, there were 8 first round byes. Raleigh and SCCA Vice President In Charge of Solo & Road Rally Howard Duncan talked about what SCCA was looking to get out of CAM and the category's future as well as what the prizes were on the line. Nice thing was everyone walked away with something. All the prizes and trophies were provided by Speedway Motors and SCCA.

Eliminations were held during the lunch break for the Pro Solo and again, most brought lunch with them to the edge of the course to watch the action. It had rained hard about an hour before our eliminator and it threw the ladder into chaos! 2 entries backed out due to the conditions. Now in all fairness, these were probably the 2 most valuable cars on the property. One was a genuine '65 Shelby 427 Cobra. They said it would be fruitless to try and go fast in the wet with the car and parked it. The other was a '66 Shelby Mustang GT350H. 1 of 4 4 spd cars built it was a concourse restoration. The conditions would likely cause issues that would take a lot of time and money to correct if certain parts got wet so again, it was parked. The ladder was quickly re-arranged and the competition again. With the conditions, it became a driver's race as folks were treated to a lot of hero driving and some spins. The starting line never completely dried so launches were interesting. It all came down to a shoot out between Pro-Touring stand out Josh Leisinger in the Crusher II '64 Corvette and SCCA Multi time Champion Dave Feigner in his '96 Mustang Cobra R. Leisinger cam from behind to take the win.

To say the event was a success would be an understatement. Everyone involved had a lot of fun and are looking for more. CAM was the talk of the paddock for the rest of the day and the organizers were huddled in corners talking excitedly about what they could do next. Stay tuned, things are about to get even better!
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

I had an invite and withdrew on Thursday due to the weather we had causing delays in my work. I knew when this was announced sometime ago it would be a hoot. Damn work!

Quote Originally Posted by howehot View Post
      I had an invite and withdrew on Thursday due to the weather we had causing delays in my work. I knew when this was announced sometime ago it would be a hoot. Damn work!
      I feel your grief, damn work always gets in the way of having fun...

Here's my runs from Sunday in the Challenge.

Watching back I can see it was too loose from the start but was exasperated by the heating of the tires on the starts. I should know better than to heat up street tires. You can tell it just got worse and worse on my morning practice runs.

Driver just blew it on the challenge run, twice...

Here are the total results for Cam-C in the Solo Nationals. The top line are three runs from Tuesday on East Course, bottom line is three runs from Wed on the West course, bold is best time of day, two bolds are total time.

http://sololive.scca.com/CAMC.html

Here are the total results for Cam-T

http://sololive.scca.com/CAMT.html

Pretty interesting the difference between the two courses. Robbie Unser had me by over 3 seconds on day 1, and only 3 tenths on day 2. Some of us certainly liked the West course a lot more than the East course, others did not.

Here's my in car videos from both days

Here's another shot from the sidelines

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Quote Originally Posted by Schubitzky View Post
      I hope this class takes off and they put a little more guidance on what year/cars are eligible instead of leaving it up to the regions. I like how they split it into three sub classes, but that probably won't work for the smaller regions due to low car counts. Are there any pictures of the CAM cars from the invitiational or the first two days of the solo nationals?
      Here is the one picture I have uploaded so far from the Challenge...

I have more but they are on my other camera. I'll get them posted up soon.

And here are the CAM cars that competed in the Solo Nationals.

Lance

Thanks for the info, Dave. It's good to hear the class will be around next year. I guess I'm one of those guys that runs by themselves at almost every event, but I refuse to buy R-tires for ESP or CP and I want to be there to at least be a presence for CAM in my region. There are a number of cars that could run in CAM in my region, but the board decided on a hard stop in 1983. It sucks because it drove some people away, like a guy with a late 3rd gen camaro. He got so mad they wouldn't let him run in CAM that he stopped coming all together. Hopefully events like the invitational will help CAM become more popular locally. I've tried to recruit people, but most would rather sit in their lawn chairs behind their car instead of race it. Those are some nice pics and videos, Lance. Courses looked fast and a lot of fun.

edit...oh and congrats on your podium finish!
      Mike
      1981 Camaro
      Follow on Instagram @conekiller81

SCCA Susquehanna Region CAM-T Champion - 2014, 2015
      SCCA Washington DC Region CAM Champion - 2015
      Carlisle GM Nationals Autocross Shootout Winner - 2016, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Schubitzky View Post
      Thanks for the info, Dave. It's good to hear the class will be around next year. I guess I'm one of those guys that runs by themselves at almost every event, but I refuse to buy R-tires for ESP or CP and I want to be there to at least be a presence for CAM in my region. There are a number of cars that could run in CAM in my region, but the board decided on a hard stop in 1983. It sucks because it drove some people away, like a guy with a late 3rd gen camaro. He got so mad they wouldn't let him run in CAM that he stopped coming all together. Hopefully events like the invitational will help CAM become more popular locally. I've tried to recruit people, but most would rather sit in their lawn chairs behind their car instead of race it. Those are some nice pics and videos, Lance. Courses looked fast and a lot of fun.

edit...oh and congrats on your podium finish!
      That's one of the reasons CAM is becoming a category with 3 classes. The Regions with the largest car counts are the ones without model year restrictions. While the initial focus of CAM was giving people with vintage resto-mods and PT cars a place to run without being put up against race cars, the crappy classing of late model muscle cars in the ST category lead to many with those cars to look at CAM. With it being a Regional only class SCCA can publish a set of rules and recommend how to populate the class yet ultimately it's each Region's decision on how they want to run the class. Unfortunately some Regions' leadership can be their own worst enemy. They lost a paying competitor, potentially an SCCA member, and potentially created someone who will speak ill of the Region and SCCA every chance he gets. Not everyone gets it.

Lance, congratulations on your podium! Wish I could have stayed to run with you guys in class competition but at least my car was there! I spent the entire week thinking about the Solo Nats and re-living the Invitational. I was about worthless at work! LOL I said earlier this year that I didn't envision myself vacationing in Nebraska at the end of summer, well, I'm eating those words. I will be there for the entire week in 2015 I've promised myself.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Thanks Dave and Mike, I was pretty stoked to trophy at my first Nationals. I have a few of my own ideas about CAM rules I'd like to see implemented. Personally I'd like to see a stock sheet metal or possibly a tire size rule to keep the CP cars from slapping on street tires and running with us. I don't think cars like mine, Valerie's GTA, and Al's Camaro need to be running with Mike's Fox body with 335s on all four corners even though we weren't that far off his times. Or split CAM up by tire size instead of Generation like CAM T and C.

It was fun either way though, something everyone should experience as often as they can for sure.
      Lance

Lance,

I don't see any rules like those in the class' future. Raleigh and Howard are already committed to keeping CAM's rules complimentary to Goodguy's and optima's rules. Nothing says you can't flare your fenders and run as much rubber you can get on your car. Remember that CAM is a hot rodder's class, hot rodding isn't about lots of rules and restrictions. Looking at the results from this past week the Mustang with all that tire under it still got beat by a mildly modified Camaro and you weren't that far behind. If you look back at the Invitational, I out qualified both you and Keith but the car finished behind both of you in Nats competition. Yes, different driver(s) but nothing else changed. After 2 days of competition you were 2 sec. behind the big-ass tired Stang, yet Chris in my Stang was 2 sec. behind you. At the Invitational, my Stang was about 2 sec. faster than you. Yet, I was 1.5 seconds behind Jennifer Meredith in an F Street Mustang.

IMO, the better way to deal with the possibility of issues like CP cars entering the class are to enforce rules we already have. I think at large events like the Invitational, Solo Nats, and any other specials they come up with us is to have more thorough tech. Cars should be weighed, make sure they are registered, plated, and insured, that all street equipment is in place and working. Most CP guys are not going to go through the trouble of installing headlights, turn signals, windshield wipers, a horn, etc. Doubt any of them would go through the trouble of getting their cars truly plated and insured either. The rules do need to clarify what it means but the finished interior rule would kick most CP type cars out also. Lastly, there aren't many Regional only CP racers out there, they're National points racers. Now how many of them are going to abandon a National class to go dominate a Regional class? So they can earn a Regional championship? Most of them are already front runners and/or champions Regionally as CP isn't a highly subscribed class Regionally. In the entire state of Indiana there are only 4-5 CP cars between 6 Regions. I wouldn't concern myself about an invasion of CP cars.

This sport is 70-80% driver, 20-30% car.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

Maybe you are right Dave, certainly about further detail regarding "full interior" and a tighter tech procedure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and will still come back and run even if nothing changes.

Regarding the time differences between Sunday and Tues\Wed...conditions and driver's experience with the surface were both factors. I know in my case, my car's setup was way too loose on Sunday and I never got a handle on the track. Throw some rain in and then a partially wet, partially dry track and you saw what happened. I struggled a little bit on Tuesday and then really clicked on Wednesday's course. Others did good on Tuesday and struggled on Wednesday. The Nationals times were probably a better representation of true comparative times though. Robbie was almost 3 seconds faster than me on Tuesday and only 3 tenths faster than me on Wednesday. I have raced directly against Keith all year long and typically beat him by 2-3 seconds. He put some parts on his car and has really stepped up his driving and it appears he's 2-3 seconds faster than me now. BTW, one of those parts would move him up all the way to CP in a normal class situation, but I don't have a bit of a problem with that.

To me it's more of an appearance thing... The CP appearing cars (you know which ones I'm talking about) just don't seem to belong in a Classic American Muscle class geared towards street cars. Heck, one of those cars needed to add another can of race fuel just to finish his runs on Sunday. There were no cars like that on hand at the optima event I attended. I haven't been to a Good Guys show in a long time though so I can't speak about them.
      Lance

Here are my morning practice/dial in runs. Due to the puddles from the rain before we ran Bruce and I were not able to compete. Directly below the intake scoop is a panel filter into the throttle body. It was bitter sweet to watch everyone have a good time running while sitting on the side lines. Hopefully, I will be able to co-drive more events this coming year. It was great to meet and hang out with the pro-touring people.

see you at the next event,
      Scott Fraser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHac...I4J89NccUhpJ1Q

Scott, that car was great!! Huge thanks to you and Bruce for not only bringing it out but running the wee out of it on course. It was the talk of the paddock the rest of the week. What are all the gadgets up on the dash?
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Scott, that car was great!! Huge thanks to you and Bruce for not only bringing it out but running the wee out of it on course. It was the talk of the paddock the rest of the week. What are all the gadgets up on the dash?
      Thanks Lance we had a great time with all the CAM folks, lots of really great cars!

The unit on the dash shows acceleration or deceleration, 8 lights = 1.6 G's or .2 G per light on the left side of the box. The right side shows throttle opening 8 lights = full throttle we use this when we look back at the video to see how effective we are using the throttle. We found that anything over about 3 lights spins the tires pretty hard and if we get to 4 or 5 lights the acceleration drops off because of wheel spin.

I know which car you're talking about and I had issues with it also. When Raleigh asked me what I thought about the Invitational field I said that car stepped over the line. On the other hand, Raleigh was struggling to get 24 CAM type cars to accept invitations. Several invitees had to decline due to prior commitments, primarily the Holley LSFest. Then several invitees had to drop out at the last minute do to mechanical failures or last minute work commitments. The Invitational doesn't have the "must attend" aura to it yet. As time marches on, it will. The car in questions owner contacted Raleigh and asked to be involved. It was hard to turn them down considering they were committing to bringing 3 Goodguy's Pro cars. This year was about establishing some legitimacy for CAM in the PT world so we needed some of those Pro Class cars. Also SCCA wanted to see how all the divergent build levels of cars played together. By enforcing our existing rules cars like that would be muted. I talked to the owner of the car we're talking about. He openly stated that his intent with that car was to build a race car to challenge Goodguy's "No dedicated race cars rule" and Goodguy's obviously caved. But it's also obvious that Goodguy's Pro Class has become an anything goes pro-builder class. Most of the Pro class cars are heavily sponsored by companies that dump a lot of money into the Goodguy's Rod & Custom Association so I'm sure the Goodguy's people are reluctant to tell a sponsor like Summit no. SCCA does not have those associations so saying adhere to the rules or beat it becomes easier.

The challenge within the SCCA is upsetting the status quo of the competitors policing themselves. Impounding the cars after the fact and having fellow competitors nit-pick each other's cars won't fly with the CAM and PT crowd. Pre event tech is the way to go IMO. That and letting everyone know that @ CAM involved large events certain things will be tech'd pre-event will go a long way in keeping things in check.

I made the comparisons I did to illustrate how things change from day to day, event to event in autocross. Sunday, you were out to lunch, come Tuesday/Wednesday you had things under control. SCCA's rules makers at times have created some really narrow rules sets and it makes no difference. Fast drivers are fast no matter what. SCCA could remove 2/3 of the rules they have and not a damn thing would change. The only difference would be some would insist they were screwed and in no way they could be competitive because the cars needed to be restricted somehow. There was one invitee who declined because he said if he couldn't be competitive he wasn't interested. Why didn't he think he would be competitive? Because in his mind his car didn't have some "trick parts" some other cars might have. The car is more modified than the '69 Camaro that Jinxs and Alan drove to the Semis. Their Camaro could have been mistaken for a restored Z/28 with some wheels on it! It was more modified than either of our cars. Both of our cars were top 5 cars in the supplemental class.
      Dave Dusterberg
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T

optima requires a factory issued VIN. No kit cars or replacement bodies. This would eliminate said car, I to know the car in question. It's a great car but far from a street car. Also maybe add a 30 mile cruise and not allow refueling. This will bring in only street cars.

Well nobody invited any of us, but the San Diego SCCA has had a great 10-14 car turnout for each event this year, even with our pre-1979 restrictions. We have been having great in-class battles, and all cars are street driven to and from the events. I guess I don't understand what the goal was of an "invitational", in that you might have eliminated some CAM cars who would have been very competitive at your event...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  117.1 KB

1973 Corvette Factory Primer Car
      1969 Barracuda Convertible
      1967 Plymouth Valiant

The problem I saw was the CAM class is not fully developed and the last minute Shootout "invite" and CAM National class did not allow enough time to get rolling. The lack of defined rules and then changing them at the last minute was a bust for me. I will support the local class and see what SCCA national does with this.
      Brian Hobaugh
      65 Corvette
      73 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post

The challenge within the SCCA is upsetting the status quo of the competitors policing themselves. Impounding the cars after the fact and having fellow competitors nit-pick each other's cars won't fly with the CAM and PT crowd. Pre event tech is the way to go IMO. That and letting everyone know that @ CAM involved large events certain things will be tech'd pre-event will go a long way in keeping things in check.

I made the comparisons I did to illustrate how things change from day to day, event to event in autocross. Sunday, you were out to lunch, come Tuesday/Wednesday you had things under control. SCCA's rules makers at times have created some really narrow rules sets and it makes no difference. Fast drivers are fast no matter what. SCCA could remove 2/3 of the rules they have and not a damn thing would change. The only difference would be some would insist they were screwed and in no way they could be competitive because the cars needed to be restricted somehow. There was one invitee who declined because he said if he couldn't be competitive he wasn't interested. Why didn't he think he would be competitive? Because in his mind his car didn't have some "trick parts" some other cars might have. The car is more modified than the '69 Camaro that Jinxs and Alan drove to the Semis. Their Camaro could have been mistaken for a restored Z/28 with some wheels on it! It was more modified than either of our cars. Both of our cars were top 5 cars in the supplemental class.
      I agree with everything you've said. I loved Al's Camaro and thought it was perfect for the class. And those guys drove the snot out of it in both events. Yet Al almost didn't bring it because he thought that that wasn't what the SCCA was looking for. In my mind...it was exactly what the SCCA is looking for in this class. And those two sure opened some eyes with it on Sunday.

I agree about enforcing the rules early as well. Chris and I could have advanced our finish one place by protesting the Mustang. First, I know it was real REAL close on weight as the driver said he had to put his spare tire back in to make weight and second, he left impound on Wednesday before being released. I just didn't want to be that guy. I don't think he left impound early maliciously...there was some confusion about if we were being impounded or not and he just thought we weren't. I didn't want to boot him out of the trophies over that. Almost everyone in my local region said I was crazy for not protesting that. I guess it is because they know how tight everything typically is at Solo Nats and are used to getting whatever they can when they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomswheels View Post
      Well nobody invited any of us, but the San Diego SCCA has had a great 10-14 car turnout for each event this year, even with our pre-1979 restrictions. We have been having great in-class battles, and all cars are street driven to and from the events. I guess I don't understand what the goal was of an "invitational", in that you might have eliminated some CAM cars who would have been very competitive at your event...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 636
Size:  117.1 KB

Did any of you ask to be invited like the rest of us did? I penned my email to Raleigh making my case to be invited the day the press release came out.
      Lance

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com