Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Stumbled across these today and thought I'd share in case anyone else hadn't seen them yet either.

Pics from the CAM Solo Invitational

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165117...LvyiuO7_vb3ygE

Pics from the Solo Nats CAM class runs

https://picasaweb.google.com/1165117...CPmllevA8s-FCA

One I like of my car in particular

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Country Flag: United States
      I look forward to running in CAM-C at next year's nationals. I normally run H street locally, but I've been slowly working on my thirdgen camaro to get it dialed in as possible. I was going to build it to be an ESP car but recent showings with thirdgens (Madarash excluded) as shown me that they can't compete anymore. Hopefully we have a bigger showing this year. Anyone know what it takes to get invited to the Pro invitational?

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post
      Maybe you are right Dave, certainly about further detail regarding "full interior" and a tighter tech procedure. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining and will still come back and run even if nothing changes.

Regarding the time differences between Sunday and Tues\Wed...conditions and driver's experience with the surface were both factors. I know in my case, my car's setup was way too loose on Sunday and I never got a handle on the track. Throw some rain in and then a partially wet, partially dry track and you saw what happened. I struggled a little bit on Tuesday and then really clicked on Wednesday's course. Others did good on Tuesday and struggled on Wednesday. The Nationals times were probably a better representation of true comparative times though. Robbie was almost 3 seconds faster than me on Tuesday and only 3 tenths faster than me on Wednesday. I have raced directly against Keith all year long and typically beat him by 2-3 seconds. He put some parts on his car and has really stepped up his driving and it appears he's 2-3 seconds faster than me now. BTW, one of those parts would move him up all the way to CP in a normal class situation, but I don't have a bit of a problem with that.

To me it's more of an appearance thing... The CP appearing cars (you know which ones I'm talking about) just don't seem to belong in a Classic American Muscle class geared towards street cars. Heck, one of those cars needed to add another can of race fuel just to finish his runs on Sunday. There were no cars like that on hand at the optima event I attended. I haven't been to a Good Guys show in a long time though so I can't speak about them.
      Quote Originally Posted by IndyDave View Post
      I know which car you're talking about and I had issues with it also. When Raleigh asked me what I thought about the Invitational field I said that car stepped over the line. On the other hand, Raleigh was struggling to get 24 CAM type cars to accept invitations. Several invitees had to decline due to prior commitments, primarily the Holley LSFest. Then several invitees had to drop out at the last minute do to mechanical failures or last minute work commitments. The Invitational doesn't have the "must attend" aura to it yet. As time marches on, it will. The car in questions owner contacted Raleigh and asked to be involved. It was hard to turn them down considering they were committing to bringing 3 Goodguy's Pro cars. This year was about establishing some legitimacy for CAM in the PT world so we needed some of those Pro Class cars. Also SCCA wanted to see how all the divergent build levels of cars played together. By enforcing our existing rules cars like that would be muted. I talked to the owner of the car we're talking about. He openly stated that his intent with that car was to build a race car to challenge Goodguy's "No dedicated race cars rule" and Goodguy's obviously caved. But it's also obvious that Goodguy's Pro Class has become an anything goes pro-builder class. Most of the Pro class cars are heavily sponsored by companies that dump a lot of money into the Goodguy's Rod & Custom Association so I'm sure the Goodguy's people are reluctant to tell a sponsor like Summit no. SCCA does not have those associations so saying adhere to the rules or beat it becomes easier.

The challenge within the SCCA is upsetting the status quo of the competitors policing themselves. Impounding the cars after the fact and having fellow competitors nit-pick each other's cars won't fly with the CAM and PT crowd. Pre event tech is the way to go IMO. That and letting everyone know that @ CAM involved large events certain things will be tech'd pre-event will go a long way in keeping things in check.

I made the comparisons I did to illustrate how things change from day to day, event to event in autocross. Sunday, you were out to lunch, come Tuesday/Wednesday you had things under control. SCCA's rules makers at times have created some really narrow rules sets and it makes no difference. Fast drivers are fast no matter what. SCCA could remove 2/3 of the rules they have and not a damn thing would change. The only difference would be some would insist they were screwed and in no way they could be competitive because the cars needed to be restricted somehow. There was one invitee who declined because he said if he couldn't be competitive he wasn't interested. Why didn't he think he would be competitive? Because in his mind his car didn't have some "trick parts" some other cars might have. The car is more modified than the '69 Camaro that Jinxs and Alan drove to the Semis. Their Camaro could have been mistaken for a restored Z/28 with some wheels on it! It was more modified than either of our cars. Both of our cars were top 5 cars in the supplemental class.
      Quote Originally Posted by howehot View Post
      optima requires a factory issued VIN. No kit cars or replacement bodies. This would eliminate said car, I to know the car in question. It's a great car but far from a street car. Also maybe add a 30 mile cruise and not allow refueling. This will bring in only street cars.
      Now that winter is here, the work schedule has slowed down and the race season is over, we would like to clear up a few matters in these posts. Danny Popp contacted us after talking to Raleigh to drop out of the race. He told Raleigh that we would have a good car to compete in this Invitational. Raleigh contacted Dave and accepted on the condition that we could leave early for the LS Fest. On the car issue, Ford Motors did not factory produce the Cobra. Dynacorn bodies are seen at many events. Tube chassis, carbon fiber, LS motors . . . None of these were factory production either. The said car is licensed, VIN'd and insured and has raced at many events throughout the year with no issues. The 30 mile cruise was driven, the 1/4 mile race was raced, and all other events were competed in at the LS Fest, which the said car won with no issues. The fuel being added, was due to the wet track and the car needed more traction. As for race fuel, nowhere is it said that it can't be used. We are very disappointed that the car keeps being called a race car. All cars on a race track are considered race cars. The weight issue would not have been a problem, if it would have been required. The said car is a Corvette with a fiberglass body and an aftermarket chassis. No different than 90% of the other cars competing. Regarding the sponsors, they have no control over the rules. We raced many races this year against Speedway motors and had no issues with either car and had a great time with a great bunch of competitors. Thanks Speedway Motors for sponsoring the CAM Invitational. Looking forward to the competition next year. We received an invite to next years' CAM invitational this fall at the Duel in the Desert, but not sure of our schedule.

" Ford Motors did not factory produce the Cobra." Ford designed and supervised the building of the 427 Cobra, the company also provided the financing for the final assembly facility in California. When you have a total production run of 348 cars over 3 years it would hardly justify the use of a factory production facility. My car has a factory stock body and frame, the only modifications are to the running gear like the majority of Pro-Touring cars, even the engine is based on an archaic 1959 FE design limiting its output. Ford also continued to stock and supply parts to satisfy Government requirements after Shelby shut down. They were certainly considered to be responsible for the car by the US government.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com