Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Picture of the trophy for the winner of the Challenge

Here's the 6 trophies together for the top 6 finishers...

Trophies were solid billet and freaking GORGEOUS! The winner also got a jacket, and some other stuff. ALL of us that ran in the event walked away with some sort of reward for coming. Speedway Motors really stepped up with the support of this event. Hopefully they benefitted from it as well and will continue to support these types of events.

Lance
      1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car

Damn trophies weigh at least 25#!

Tom, there were two tracks to get invited. Track one was aimed at us who compete in CAM. In all the promotions for the Invitational, it explained if you want to be invited, contact Raleigh Boreen. Track two was aimed at high profile competitors from primarily Goodguy's as well as optima and others. Raleigh reached out to the people he thought would be a good fit for the Invitational. The goal was to have an even mix of SCCA CAM competitors and high profile competitors from the PT world. The reasoning was to give CAM some exposure it might not get if it were just us SCCA folk. Remember, CAM exists to attract people who already autocross elsewhere and may not have considered SCCA Solo or have had less than stellar experience trying to compete in SCCA Solo in the past due to unfortunate classing. CAM is giving SCCA Solo positive exposure in new ways and reaching new people.

Again, don't expect the rules to tighten any more than Goodguy's or optima tightens their rules. SCCA intends to keep CAM's rules complimentary to the other organizations.

With that said, I think that any future CAM special events SCCA may want to consider running the high end "pro" cars as a separate class just as Goodguy's does. I also think that SCCA has found its niche in the market by tying CAM special events to Pro Solo. The cars looked and felt right in the Pro Solo setting.
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

Name:  brian Hobaugh street legal CP.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  122.7 KBBrian H. What real difference do you see in CAM and CP?.The car you would use in CAM finished 2nd as CP in 2012 SOLO2 National Championship.You run it at Good Guys events .Your car is required to be over 3000lb as a CP car. You have working lights and it's street legal.. I know there isn't any side window glass but that's a easy fix. So it's just the tires then??

Some want to put up a smoke screen and say there different.But when some CAM guys saw CP cars for their first time a week ago. The smoke cleared.I'm sure other CP cars there were street legal with lights .CAM cars add IRS making them more modded then CP.Some one help me with these blurred lines.

Quote Originally Posted by soloracerSD View Post
      Name:  brian Hobaugh street legal CP.jpg
Views: 1530
Size:  122.7 KBBrian H. What real difference do you see in CAM and CP?.The car you would use in CAM finished 2nd as CP in 2012 SOLO2 National Championship.You run it at Good Guys events .Your car is required to be over 3000lb as a CP car. You have working lights and it's street legal.. I know there isn't any side window glass but that's a easy fix. So it's just the tires then??

Some want to put up a smoke screen and say there different.But when some CAM guys saw CP cars for their first time a week ago. The smoke cleared.I'm sure other CP cars there were street legal with lights .CAM cars add IRS making them more modded then CP.Some one help me with these blurred lines.
      There are a few CP cars that can turned into street legal cars by putting back the lights, horn, and street tires. They are stripped down to get the weight off. Some are at 2850 and others at 3050 or more. Some also have replaced the glass with Lexan. When I built my car, my intention was to build a street legal CP car. Glass windshield and back glass, two seats with nice looking interior, no pin on panels, full body panels and finished off with a show quality body and paint. I spent a lot of time and money on the fit and finish that most in CP do not. For most in CP, it is all about light weight and go fast over looks. I just did both. Good looking does not make it faster. The intention of CAM is to have a home for the pro touring type crowd, not CP guys to throw street tires on the car. But, the rules of CP limit what you can do to the car. Most top end pro touring cars have better suspension than the CP cars you see.
      I would not fear the CP cars putting back the lights, glass, and 200 TW tires any more than Mary Pozzi, Mark Steilow, Kyle Tucker, Danny Popp, Brian Finch, Mike Maier, Scott Fraser, and a host of others in their CAM legal cars. The most important rule will be weight. 3000 lbs is a great weight limit. Lighter than that gives some cars a huge advantage. The 200 TW tires equalize the field. 500 or 900 HP makes no difference.
      Brian Hobaugh
      65 Corvette
      73 Camaro

This Tans-AM was 2nd place this year in CP out of 42 CP. It's also CAM-C legal. It doesn't look like anymore of a race car then CAM-C.Name:  002.jpg
Views: 418
Size:  138.4 KBSo CAM cars must not have pinned fenders and be nicely finished paint jobs. No bare metal showing inside the car?How much interior required, Padded Fabric Door Panels, Padded dash?.I saw finished interior now written in the rules.Is it still 2 seats all thats required in CAM-C,CAM-T,CAM-S ?.or is C and T 4?I still see more similarities in CAM and CP then any other class catagory.I don't think there will be judging on paint jobs by SCCA..Sounds like a nice exhibition class.And I'm not the only one that comes to mind.Brian I know you would be top 3 if top GG guys do a PRO/SOLO. Then add your slicks and be top 3 in CP in the National Championship. You agree.? I only say top 3 in CP because Mr.Madarash is fast after leaving ESP for CP.You, MM ,Madarash that would be interesting.
      I supported our Vintage CAM getting started and for regions to have it to play with.Even for C-T to be dispayed in Nebraska.As long as it isn't pushed on regions I support it.No National Class.But then who am I.Just a 24 year SCCA guy driving a MAZDA.
      I have guys lining up to run in ESP some may drop to STU an FS.Our FACEBOOK and my efforts with Craigslist and muscle cars has pushed us over 200 entries 9 out of 11 events.WE have to hold back on drawing members to our event now. It's easy to draw in members . I can do it for you Dave from here in SD.THese comments are mostly for Dave D. Oh Pro-Touring folks shouldn't to be in IMPOUND at Tours and Pro/Solos? Dave D. That's what you commented..So Are they Aliens and this world would be shocking for them?,Thats how you made it sound.

BTW I'm not thinking CP cars will be turned into CAM.WE know some will.Just that cars are built equal to CP plus more mods for CAM. Like the EM classed Camaro in Nebraska.Others have warned .These are MONSTER Machines.They aren't going to look like a Street Touring STX Vintage Camaro or ESP car which would be a safer place for many.Street Modified Muscle on DOT race I'd support.over CAM-C

What I hear a lot and agree with "To many classes".WE need the stock,less mod classes and the heavily mod classes. Not classes that are near clones of one another.With the real one difference is 200 tread tire.IT JUST DELUTES CLASSES IN REGIONS!Mostly in ESP, STU and FS.I'm talking CAM-C.Call them what they are and put slicks on them CP and E-Mod "Heavy"clones.I heard the announcer say "Heavy" for the heavy EM cars..Sometimes I hear"There needs to be a PT/HOT RODDING CLass for people/us that have a difficult( too lazy) time reading the rule book."Give me a break! LOL Lets not blow the hole SCCA structure of classes up.

Brian you were totally honest and up front with what you wrote.People know now what to bring next year.Just put slicks on it,I say. It's a CP even E-Mod Heavy sounded good. BTW GG racers should just step it up and add Slicks.

Yes I say what most people won't but want to.. It's called Honesty. Sorry,The have nots(pretenders) will just be also rans in stock looking cars.BTW,CAM-C was the slowest top 4 in a class this year,No modern CPs or EM heavies ran in the class.I'm a have not in the class I run in.I except that I'm a pretender and only do Tours every couple of years for fun.

George and Tom I'm from San Diego and was invited but elected not to bring my Camaro out. 1600 miles is a long way to run a regional class.

A CP car is just the beginning of a CAM car. You want to go way over 51% rear weight, add big wings, maybe a sucker fan and side skirts. You know, all the things which help a ton but that even the most primitive ruleset would disallow.

I'd love to see CAM mature into a real national class where a car that looks like mine could be run and have a chance. You know, one that caters to the vast majority of P-T enthusiasts, not scratch-built race car constructors. It's a long way from that though, and the direction seems to be more towards recruitment tool than real class. It's a shame for me but if it's what's best for the club, so be it.

"Regional class" "real class"

The 2014 CAM class winners took home SCCA National Trophies, Chairs, Jackets etc...just like any other class in the field. And everyone I talked with that WAS THERE seemed to be very happy to be there competing in the CAM classes. And many more people on the sidelines watching also seemed to be happy to watch the CAM classes run.

I realize you won't please all of the people all of the time, and that is okay. As long as there are enough people that are pleased, it will carry on. From what I saw, most of these class's results mirrored other classes...the really good drivers did well no matter what they were driving. I agree with Dave above, it's probably 70-80% driver and 20-30% car...except in these classes we get to run our really cool cars that we also drive and enjoy every day.
      Lance

Quote Originally Posted by SSLance View Post

I agree about enforcing the rules early as well. Chris and I could have advanced our finish one place by protesting the Mustang. First, I know it was real REAL close on weight as the driver said he had to put his spare tire back in to make weight and second, he left impound on Wednesday before being released. I just didn't want to be that guy. I don't think he left impound early maliciously...there was some confusion about if we were being impounded or not and he just thought we weren't. I didn't want to boot him out of the trophies over that. Almost everyone in my local region said I was crazy for not protesting that. I guess it is because they know how tight everything typically is at Solo Nats and are used to getting whatever they can when they can.
      FWIW, if I ever go back to Lincoln and that happens again I'll happily put up the protest money on all of our behalf. I haven't run that many SCCA events but even I know you don't leave impound until you're told you can leave impound. If you're not sure, you ask an official you don't just bail out and hope n one says anything.
      It was a pleasure running with you!
      Valerie Pichette

1988 GTA LS3 (418 stroker)/ T56 - "DragonLady GTA"

It was great meeting you and your husband Valerie...as well as your beautiful car. Hope the rest of your travels after Nationals were non-eventful and safe. I assume you've made it back home again finally?
      Lance

LOL.. we did finally make it home in one piece ( more or less).
      The GTA spun a rod bearing day 2 of LSFest, so plans are being made to increase HP by a considerable amount.
      Next year should be awesome....
      Valerie Pichette

1988 GTA LS3 (418 stroker)/ T56 - "DragonLady GTA"

The first year of any of any class is an exhibition or trial. The winner of the class is not a national champion but a national winner.

The winners of this year's CAM classes got a trophy that says national winner sorry but no jackets or chairs. (Unless since it was only Bruce and I in the CAM-S, they left us out)

Scott Fraser

I got lucky. My trophy says champion! Lol I hope next year it is an actual championship jacket class, nationals was an awesome experience and I look forward to going back. Watching the CP battle between Madarash and Maier was worth the trip!

The CAM-C trophy

Keith got a chair as well.

I agree with Mike, it was an awesome time and I can't wait to go back too.
      Lance

Strange. Who cares it was a good time and I got to drive an awesome car.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

As long as regions can say no to it ,that's fine with me.We just got Street Class off race DOT.So now it makes more sense that the first two catagories are street tire.WE straighten that out now a top end Prepared/mod class has street tires?skipping past SP and SM classes.To me it's wacked!.

I would of liked to see the CP battle myself. I did watch it online..Dusold you might want to go for the CP battle yourself..If not your car maybe as a co driver.

Scott we've raced against each other at a tour before.years ago..I think. I know saying CAM-C was the Slowest might of sounded harsh.It's only going to get tougher if there's a next time for this year CAM-C guys.THe new guys I'm bring into ESP in our region . I tell them the same thing.It's only going to get tougher and the FS guys have you beat.So push yourselves to go faster. And they ask how fast Greg McGance went..Then I'm afraid to tell them.But they want to know how tough the competition is..Thats good.I'm not waiting to surprise them later.An Scott the Cobra in CAM-S is a cool car.I kind of have a soft spot for CAM-S.It sort of brings back BP from years ago.Prepared Vetts and Cobras that were killed off by XP.With the open rules.It will have to be more like Jeffs EM Sprite or the EM Tiger soon.I don't know how many Good Guy events you been to. I have been to a few.There is a guy that runs a Ford Rodster.Well it's a Fiberglass body on a Subaru STI chassis.Maybe there's some sort of rule keeping that out even if it might have a Chevy V8 in it.Plus it would probably break under big power so better to use a Nissan GTR chassis.Good Guys started their autocross for a exhibition to entertain car show folks and for venders to display their parts.It boosted autocross popularityGREAT!.It's 2 days vintage one modern weekends.So they let in Modern one day so they weren't cutting them off at a vintage car show.Great but they aren't classes.I started getting guys from GG to our events in San Diego nearly 3 years ago.So I'm not just coming out of no where bitching.If I had it my way.I'd bring back BP put CAM in CP or maybe something new E-Modified Heavy add a Street Modified Muscle class none of them 200 tread ware.It's not going to be a paint and interior judging contest.It's not the CP way or SCCA way of doing things. People that have talked to me about this tell me."They just need to read a rulebook."" There is plenty of classes for them no need for more."These folks were at the tour and did very well.It was before the tour that I talked about it.

I just think another view point needs to be heard. So I'm here.

George Pollock

We might have been at the same events but I highly doubt the same class. It's all good.

I talked to Mike and he also got champion. So it must be because it was only two in CAM-S. The main reason for going was to show support for the classes.

The guy with the subaru powered hot rod is a friend of my dad and in the same hot rod club (yes I grew up building and driving 33 and 34 fords). He built a fun car that he wanted to build (what hot rodding is. Big engine in a light car, building what you want) The class came along later. He is or did sell the car now building another project. I believe the classes don't have enough rules and really it is EM on street tires.

Just think track T with double a arm suspension, full aero, 1800 pounds with a turbo 4 cylinder.

Ok this is a pain typing on my phone at work.
      Scott

Name:  182573_378157038925119_1139442395_n.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  15.9 KBSee Scott we agree on some things..You might even agree we raced in the same class.Maybe off a year or so. I do believe you have raced CSP in San Diego.Funny that you know the Subaru'Ford Rodster. In CAM it does say Body panels in stock location. I like to think that means Factory Body on original factory chassis( with lots a MODS).
      Back to SCCA SOLO 2. I know the Green Mazda with flames and the blue one with flames too.Painted Flames At the Solo 2 tours I'm a back marker so easily overlooked.. LOL but enjoy doing it some years.4 seconds off Bill S's lap time would be about where I'm at with the under moded Old SCHOOl RX7..I just do it for fun and expect nothing more..Anyway I've probably said enough on this thread.

Busted... Yes, I do remember the RX7! I always was busy harassing Bill S. (and still do).

I believe Raleigh, Bill and the other Pro-touring guys are trying to make a good set of classes with some of the old run what your brung attitude. I know their will be some problems and growing pains but we can only show our support and try to help mold the class into something realistic.

You are now thinking, Scott, realistic? Lets just say I have talked to my good friends at Aeromotions and a few other close friends about some details. Let's just say this class will be EMOD+++ with 200 tread wear tires!

What would you say to maybe 10% of original weight no aftermarket aero? I also think Kit cars should be in another class. (I am sure their is a topic for possible rules so I am going to hunt for that another day)

just starting to think,
      Scott

Quote Originally Posted by alwaysracin View Post
      What would you say to maybe 10% of original weight no aftermarket aero? I also think Kit cars should be in another class. (I am sure their is a topic for possible rules so I am going to hunt for that another day)
      Scott
      What happened to 3000 lb minimum? (maybe not aplicable to CAM-S) I wouldnt think kit cars would be allowed. Dont they have to be built in the US by a US based manufacturer? I think the rules are pretty fair. Must be licensed and insured as a street legal car with all street equipment. Finished interior with seating for at least 2, all glass/lexan must be present... 200tw tires. Front engine rear drive, The only thing missing is a road trip to prove its worthiness.
      Chris

Total Cost Involved - Ridetech - Fatman - Total Control Products - Gateway Performance - MaverickMan Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by GrabberGT View Post
      What happened to 3000 lb minimum? (maybe not aplicable to CAM-S) I wouldnt think kit cars would be allowed. Dont they have to be built in the US by a US based manufacturer? I think the rules are pretty fair. Must be licensed and insured as a street legal car with all street equipment. Finished interior with seating for at least 2, all glass/lexan must be present... 200tw tires. Front engine rear drive, The only thing missing is a road trip to prove its worthiness.
      The rules for this year's Invitational and Solo Nats supplemental classes were for those events only. What Raleigh is telling me is that for the most part the rules will be the same as 2014 with the addition of the 3 classes. The classes are similar to classes I sent to Raleigh as a suggestion. In my draft CAM/C and CAM/T maintained the 3000# minimum weight but CAM/S had none because of the inclusion of kit cars and hot rods. What Raleigh, Howard, and Bill are thinking, I don't know. I know that Raleigh and Velma are going to SEMA and while there they have been invited to shadow at the optima event. They've also been invited to the Goodguy's event in Scottsdale also. I want to say that Raleigh said that the actual 2015 rules will be discussed and wrapped up sometime in December. He said there are probably going to be some changes in Goodguy's rules for next year so I'm sure that SCCA is waiting to see if and what those changes are. I keep hearing that the goal is to have everyone's rules be compatible.
      Dave Dusterberg
      http://www.facebook.com/camchallengeeast
      1979 Aspen R/T (under construction soon to be #19 CAM/T)
      2002 Ram 1500 SLT
      2005 Magnum R/T
      2005 Mustang GT #19 CAM/C

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com