Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

200 4R problem non lock up is instantly locked up

I have a 355 chevy with a 2004r 2500 stall and an auburn positraction. just finished the car tried to back out to clean the garage and when I put it in gear the tire chirps and the car dies. It acts like it has no stall. That is with my foot on the brake. I am afraid to just put it in gear with my foot off the brake. It does the same in both directions.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Country Flag: United States
      Your lock up converter is not releasing, make sure it has no power in gear with brake on and should only lock up at set points. If its like 700R4 most people have pressure switch on valve body to lock it up in 4th.
      I personally like a controller that only allows it too lock up above a certain speed, and at higher vacuum readings as in at cruise.
      Now you might have to do some research if there is an oring on front pump stator support if so it might be damaged or missing. I dont remember if they used one.
      Art Carr pioneered the beefed up 200-4R he now operates in new venue or California Performance Transmissions last I heard. first I would try removing the plug on side of trans, if that cures it you have converter lock up wired wrong.
      Also the brake pedal switch should ALWAYS open that circuit so it releases.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I am rookie on this transmission stuff but the transmission was built with no lock up and the converter was supposed to be non locking but this was purchased 5 years ago.

Did you contact the transmission builder?
      Did you double check your linkage?
      John

72 chevelle SS that really a 71 according to the vin

when I put it on jack stands it will go through the gears forward and reverse it just does have any stall it is direct drive.
      I will be talking to builder 8am Tuesday.

Strange cause it sounds like the converter lockup but its not supposed to have lock up
      John

72 chevelle SS that really a 71 according to the vin

If I unbolt the torque converter and put it in drive should it spin freely by hand?

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com