Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

LS1 low oil pressure damage?

I am working on my install, and got the motor fired up. All the gauges were working except the oil pressure. Havent run the car long due to no tune and no O2 sensors to tune it with. Well today the motor ran for a bit and warmed up some more and now I could hear a clatter coming from the valve train.

Shut it down immediately. So now im thinking the gauge is reading and I have an oil pump issue. Checked the oil and don't see any metal.

I am concerned about internals now.

Gonna check the oil pick up and swap the oil pump tomorrow.

Any Ideas?

Country Flag: United States
      was this engine a running "pullout" and / or did you remove the oil pan and pickup earlier?
      engine mileage?

common issue is when people remove pan & pickup for a different oil pan to fit their swap, they either tear or split the pickup o-ring going into to oil pump and in worse cases can significantly have a drop in oil pressure

Also,
      what oil pressure gauge are you using and were is it's sender located on the engine?

I bought the motor from a guy on here a few years back. He said it was in running condition when he pulled it, but it was out already when I contacted him. Mileage is about 4x,xxx and it has aftermarket heads and cam. I did swap the pan and pick up I was careful with the O-ring but I guess it could have torn, I am alro running the pick up tube Girdle to help secure it.

Using the Dakota digital VHX and sending unit is stock location.

The motor sat for a while, but we spun it over by hand several times before firing it up. My friend said sometimes the cam bearings can stick to the cam after a while and slip in the journal blocking the oil passages.

If the rpms are up to around 1500+ it reads a little preassure. like 8-10psi.

You probably should have primed the motor first.. you cant turn it over by hand and expect the oil pump to work ... For future use.. pull the coil pack plug connectors on both sides and let the starter turn it over.

If your replacing the oil pump, its easy to take the pan off and examine everything in the bottom.. it will tell you if there is a problem or not.

Quote Originally Posted by joshtownsend View Post
      For future use.. pull the coil pack plug connectors on both sides and let the starter turn it over.
      ...And injectors wires/spark plugs. Makes it easier on the starter.

Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com