Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The no head unit head unit

Hi guys, I'm starting to think out the stereo for my car. I know I do not want a head unit in the dash. I like the idea of an iPod as the head unit but I think I still need some sort of unit that could be hid in the console. My dad will be driving the car too and he will not be using an iPod. I'd like to be able to control volume, fade/ sub volume, and maybe fm radio(not planning on using an antenna though). Is there some sort of unit that is smaller than a standard head unit, that can be hidden, or at least look nice if mounted in console? Maybe something that looks like a touchscreen but way smaller? Thanks for any suggestions.

Country Flag: United States
      A radio without an antenna doesn't work well, at least not where I live. They make antennas that you can put underneath the headliner. I would suggest using an amplifier that has remote gain adjustments and an Ipod. You could use the remote gain for volume and bass boost.

kicker makes a unit just like you describe.

Try looking at some of the marine (boat) radios. Most have remote heads.
      63 Biscayne
      Schwartz Performance Chassis

My build thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ht=#post916553

I've seen amplifiers that have a AUX input. You could eliminate a head unit altogether and just amplify the output of the Ipod. Obviously, you wouldn't have a radio.
      Landon

67' Camaro

My Build Thread

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
      I've seen amplifiers that have a AUX input. You could eliminate a head unit altogether and just amplify the output of the Ipod. Obviously, you wouldn't have a radio.
      I like the idea of just using the ipod, but my dad will also be driving this car and I don't imagine him plugging in his iphone to go for a cruise. It needs some sort of basic controls, and if I don't have fm radio that's fine but then it would at least need to be able to store some mp3's for him.

Would something like this work:
      http://www.parrot.com/usa/products/asteroid-range/parrot-asteroid-mini/

You could hide the screen in the sun visor.

I do like the radio with marine remote/controller idea
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Spend 5 minutes with dad showing him how to use his Iphone for music!

I work with my dad and I'm constantly doing "technology" things for him. The sad part of it is that he has a laptop, smart phone, and tablet.... while he would do just as well with a flip phone since he doesn't use any of the features his computers have. I, on the other hand, have the flip phone!

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_04 View Post
      . I, on the other hand, have the flip phone!
      Wot? They still sell them? Lol
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Jailbroken iPhone, JL audio level control, HRT iStreamer to a small amp. I just leave this one in the car with no data/calling plan.
      Super easy to use. I moved all of the non music apps to the second page. The jailbreak can make it function like a regular car radio. Unlocks and presses play when the car turns on, pauses and goes to lock screen when the car turns off. play, pause, next, previous buttons all on the home screen. iHeart radio app will let you listen to most radio stations if you have a data plan, or use your other phone as a hotspot.
      -Chris
      '69 Corvette
      '55 Chevy Hardtop
      AutoWorks Middletown, NJ
      @autoworksnj for corvette and shop car pics
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...e-Build-Thread

Quote Originally Posted by 65 drop top View Post
      Hi guys, I'm starting to think out the stereo for my car. I know I do not want a head unit in the dash. I like the idea of an iPod as the head unit but I think I still need some sort of unit that could be hid in the console. My dad will be driving the car too and he will not be using an iPod. I'd like to be able to control volume, fade/ sub volume, and maybe fm radio(not planning on using an antenna though). Is there some sort of unit that is smaller than a standard head unit, that can be hidden, or at least look nice if mounted in console? Maybe something that looks like a touchscreen but way smaller? Thanks for any suggestions.
      Check this out
      http://www.onicsusa.com

That iphone setup is interesting, but the kicker thing mentioned earlier might be a more plug and play approach for those less tech savvy. Guess it just depends on if you have an extra iphone sitting around.
      Wonder if it would be possible to feed the signal from a backup cam to the iphone somehow.
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Yep, using a WiFi connection. Here's a link to a WiFi camera and App. Can't vouch for the quality or durability of this particular setup, but it's technically feasible. www.4ucam.com

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      That iphone setup is interesting, but the kicker thing mentioned earlier might be a more plug and play approach for those less tech savvy. Guess it just depends on if you have an extra iphone sitting around.
      Wonder if it would be possible to feed the signal from a backup cam to the iphone somehow.
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

Quote Originally Posted by vette427-sbc View Post
      Jailbroken iPhone, JL audio level control, HRT iStreamer to a small amp. I just leave this one in the car with no data/calling plan.
      Super easy to use. I moved all of the non music apps to the second page. The jailbreak can make it function like a regular car radio. Unlocks and presses play when the car turns on, pauses and goes to lock screen when the car turns off. play, pause, next, previous buttons all on the home screen. iHeart radio app will let you listen to most radio stations if you have a data plan, or use your other phone as a hotspot.
      That is exactly the configuration that I am using. The iStreamer really wakes up the output from an idevice. Mine is not permanently installed since I use the iStreamer on my home stereo as well.

I would not do anything that takes input from the headphone jack.

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

The no head unit head unit

Google up Out of Sight Audio. I ordered one up for my Camaro because I just can't stand the look of a modern radio in a vintage dash. Cool little unit, should be installed today or tomorrow.

Country Flag: Canada
      All of these are nice pieces but to have total control over the equalizers and have the rca output it seems you need to buy two components. Isn't there a single head unit that can be mounted under the dash/seat that has 4v pre-outs, equalizer and multiple inputs? Control it through a wireless remote that fits in the ashtray or has an app that can be controlled through your ipod/phone.

I may just mount a single din headunit under my seat in the seat riser. Or in the trunk and run a IR cable to the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Spork82 View Post
      All of these are nice pieces but to have total control over the equalizers and have the rca output it seems you need to buy two components. Isn't there a single head unit that can be mounted under the dash/seat that has 4v pre-outs, equalizer and multiple inputs? Control it through a wireless remote that fits in the ashtray or has an app that can be controlled through your ipod/phone.

I may just mount a single din headunit under my seat in the seat riser. Or in the trunk and run a IR cable to the front.
      a car pc can do this
      Scott
      '66 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by nekkidhillbilly View Post
      So far this seems like my best option. Hows the quality on this head unit?

Check this out

http://www.onicsusa.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com