• Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Ohio Musclecar Challenge in the Books- Complete 2014 Recap

Ohio Musclecar Challenge
      August 15-17, 2014
      Pittsburgh International Raceway
      Wampum, Pennsylvania

Bob Bertelsen has done it again; another successful event in the books. Some of you might be familiar with his name and face:

Many will recognize his cars:

And several of you might have heard of the group Orange Cone Racing:

Bob started running his own race events a couple years back and has been very successful at ensuring his participants have plenty of track time as well as an overall amazing experience. We were able to dig up some testimonials that give you a general idea just how much fun this event is:

Some of this year’s participants might also look familiar:

Ken Edwards

Larry Woo

John Kundrat

Ron Schwarz

Chris and Linda Jacobs

And even Bertelsen himself could be found running their vehicles at PIR:

I truly miss this group of people. These drivers are some of the nicest people; always making you feel like you belong. I say team because though everyone is racing for the overall win, they will stop to help you fix your car, lend you a tool, or stay up half the night helping repair a broken driveshaft or motor. I have witnessed this several times as drivers push their car to the limits.

The scene on our pro-touring race circuit has changed dramatically since I started back in 2008, but the Ohio Musclecar Challenge has kept its spirit and structure over the years. You not only get a lot of track time, but it’s all about the experience; making sure everyone is having a good time, being safe and wants to come back the next year.

As for who can come out and play; luckily this event won’t break the bank. The event included a Friday night cruise, a Saturday track day and a Sunday autocross. With next year’s expansion of PIR, drivers have a lot to look forward to on the track portion of this event.

Chris Jacobs took the lead Sunday on the autocross with his 1966 Chevelle. No matter rain or shine, Chris could handle any weather conditions given to him out on course. The ‘66 Chevelle was unstoppable and proved to be a driving force all day.

Chris went home with the overall fastest time on the autocross, winning him first place in the Early Model Autocross Award. That's pretty impressive for the track conditions.

Bryan Johnson and his ’13 Camaro ran strong all weekend, securing the overall win for the Ohio Musclecar Challenge. He also won the Late Model Grand Champion on the road course, and the fastest late model on the autocross.

We have a feeling we will be hearing his name more often throughout the next couple months. Bryan enlisted the help of DSE and Mast Motorsports for his latest upgrades which he attests to helping make his “big heavy Camaro faster.” We look forward to watching Bryan and his car throughout the rest of the year as he tries to secure a spot at this year’s OUSCI in Vegas.

Larry Woo should be a familiar name and face in our pro-touring community. With recent appearances at OUSCI, USCA, Midwest Musclecar Challenge, Goodguys, Syracuse Nationals, and the Ohio Musclecar Challenge, Larry and his ’68 Camaro have attend more events within this year than most ever will in their lifetime. His accumulated seat time is paying off. Larry went home with the Fastest Early Model Grand Champion on the road course Saturday.

Many drivers walked away with awards on Sunday. Below are the results from the road course, the autocross and the contingency:

Congratulations to all the winners and participants at this year's Ohio Musclecar Challenge.

What will next year bring for the Ohio Musclecar Challenge? With a track expansion, more participants and faster cars, we can’t wait to see who will attend next year’s event.

We want to thank Chris Holm's and Bob Bertelsen for helping supply the photos for this event. Below is a link to all the photos from the event:

http://s1243.photobucket.com/user/or...allenge%202014

For more information including official results, coverage or to contact Bob, visit: http://orangeconeracing.com/index.php
      Last edited by Trackside-Brandy; 08-27-2014 at 01:57 PM.
      Brandy Morrow Phillips
      Site Contributor

WWW.PRO-TOURING.COM

Follow me for the latest event news on Pro-Touring.com

Ohio Musclecar Challenge in the Books- Complete 2014 Recap

Thanks for the nice write-up. We took three UMI cars and had a blast. We are really enjoying the Pro-tour style events and are looking forward to many more.

-- Ramey
      Technical Support
      UMI Performance, Inc.
      [email protected]

Join us on Facebook!

Great write up! We couldn't make it this year and it broke our hearts. Last year was a blast and I know next year will be the same!

Brandy, thanks for the write up on the Ohio Musclecar Challenge. You covered it well. I want to thank all the presenting sponsors, Forgeline Wheels, R&H motor and A Plus Powder Coaters and the associate sponsors, DSE, JRI Shocks, UMI Performance and Sturgis Aviation. Without the help of the sponsors, there would be no event. Thanks for all the participants for choosing this event, I know there are lots to choose from. I am working on securing a date for next years event and will post as soon as it is confirmed.

If you like lots of seat time, great food includuding home made cookies and rib eye steaks, the Ohio Musclecar Challenge is the event for you.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com