Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Older TKO500 need some advice

Got a line on a TKO500 that was purchased new in 2008, owner says the trans has about 40k on it.

The receipt for the trans says it's a TCET5201, that number shows to be for a ford, but the owner has been running it behind a chevy through the use of a conversion block or plate that came with the trans. It also comes with the speedometer cable adapter for chevrolet cables, driveshaft yoke and shifter.

I have a couple of projects I could use this in, a 4 speed 68 camaro or a 73 mustang convertible that my son wants to convert from a c4 to a manual trans. I can buy it for about half of what a new bare TKO500 sells for.

Other than the 2-3 shift issue, are there any other problems I need to consider?? Assuming the trans is in good shape (still in the car, so I should be able to see it work), is it worth buying??

If the price is right - go for it. In 2008 they had all the upgrades. Soon there will be parts available, like tunnel patches, cross members etc. for the Mustang. If the transmission doesn't make any noise, I'd do it.

Tony Edler
      Illumin8s
      See Illumin8s at www.illumin8s.com

'73 Dodge Challenger

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com