Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Ididit or rebuilt original

I have a 69 camaro and want to add tilt. The car originally had a column shift but someone later put in an aftermarket floor shifter and the original shifter parts are gone anyway, so, if you had a choice would you get a new ididit or buy an original that has been rebuilt?

Country Flag: United States
      Rebuilt original, which has the collapsible section built in.
      Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

Ididit is nice because everything is brand new but to make it a collapsible column From them is extra. Cost is around $600 for that column for a plain steel one that you'll have to paint.

Gmtilt rebuilds the original column for less and its practically new and will collapse. You can also rebuild it later at home if needed with GM parts. Price is around $430 shipped.

Problem is most older cars dash boards aren't built to handle a collapsible column anyways, making them useless. You'd have to reinforce the dash to handle the force to make the collapsible column work the way its suppose to.
      Ahmad B.

Quote Originally Posted by Build-It-Break-It View Post
      Ididit is nice because everything is brand new but to make it a collapsible column From them is extra. Cost is around $600 for that column for a plain steel one that you'll have to paint.

Gmtilt rebuilds the original column for less and its practically new and will collapse. You can also rebuild it later at home if needed with GM parts. Price is around $430 shipped.

Problem is most older cars dash boards aren't built to handle a collapsible column anyways, making them useless. You'd have to reinforce the dash to handle the force to make the collapsible column work the way its suppose to.
      Where are you finding these for $600?

I called ididit and priced it. There standard replacement columns are $450 and to make it collapse is an extra $150. I think its even on there site. That's just a standard column unpainted.

I ended up personally just hitting the junkyard and making my own for $100 total with a collapsible steering shaft to connect to a 89 mustang rack and pinion. So my steering column will collapse and the steering shaft will collapse. Its Double collapse now. If you do enough research you can do anything fairly affordable and still safely.
      Ahmad B.

Gotcha, tilt column with key and shifter goes for closer to a grand I think.

Sorry, your correct. I was thinking of my 68 Camaro. Summit racing has yours for $757. I think the better deal is GMTILT or a junk yard at around $65. A steering column that'll work for 69 and up Chevy's are in most junkyards. Depends on your budget, ability and time.

It took me 6 hours total including removing the column from the junkyard to disassemble, measure, cut , tig weld back together and reassemble the column. It was the first column that I ever did.
      Ahmad B.

Contact Jim at GMTilt.com
      I have one of his 67-8 columns and have sent other friends there and always great columns and great customer support!

You won't be disappointed

Jeff

what is everyone doing about the floor steering column cover plate? the ididit column is smaller in diameter than the stock one so the cover doesn't tighten around it.

Quote Originally Posted by jwcarguy View Post
      Contact Jim at GMTilt.com
      I have one of his 67-8 columns and have sent other friends there and always great columns and great customer support!

You won't be disappointed

Jeff
      I have one also. I agree with Jeff. Jim at GMTilt.com is great to do business with.

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com