Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

dana 60 rear differential squeaking?

Ok so the rear differential is a dana 60 with dutchman axles. I am unsure what lsd is in it. So I have drove the car a total of 10 miles maybe. A light squeel is coming from the pinon area. Parts are all new. No play what so ever. I have used 75w90 no lsd additive. ? Iam at a loss any info would be great! Would not using the additive cause this?

if no lsd additive was the problem it would only make a groaning or chattering noise when turning.
      squealing from the pinion area is usually a dry u joint. their is a small chance that the pinion seal may be squealing on the yoke but doubtful.
      71 maverick.
      71 comet in build process.
      i work at Current Auto Performance www.currentautoperformance.com. i also build the differentials for San Diego Gear and Axle.

Country Flag: Bosnia Herzegovina
      Quote Originally Posted by bryant View Post
      if no lsd additive was the problem it would only make a groaning or chattering noise when turning.
      squealing from the pinion area is usually a dry u joint. their is a small chance that the pinion seal may be squealing on the yoke but doubtful.
      you can try to lube the seal and see if it goes away.

If you have access to a lift hoist you can run it up on the rack and use an automotive stethescope or heater hose to your ear to pin point the noise.
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

https://www.pro-touring.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4&dateline=1323422564
      Follow us on Facebook

So it was either the seal or the front pinion bearing. Figured I would try those before tearing it all apart. And its fixed!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com