Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

has anybody done torque tube shortening

I am curious if anyone has shortened a torque tube from a C5-7 corvette for a project. I haven't scanned the underside of my '73 Datsun 240Z to check if the C6 transmission/diff would fit yet, but I have the CAD models through work. I am curious as to the durability of shortening and rewelding the cast aluminum tube though. If it works, I could most likely get my boss to do the welding.

I am curious as it may save leg room in the narrow datsun.

It's done all the time. We recently lengthened one. No problem with durability if the weld is good.

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Dale didn't you do a 69 camaro frame with a corvette trans and diff?

How thick is the wall of the tube? I think I an going to plan to do this for a v8 swap. It would help get some rear weight into the 240z.

If I scan the bottom of the car I would be willing to share that, area for cad user purposes.

No we didn't do a 69 Camaro.

The tube I believe is 1/4 or 3/8?? I can check tomorrow

-Dale
      SchwartzPerformance
      The leader in bolt-in muscle car chassis
      SchwartzPerformance.com | GMachineChassis.com | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram

Dealer for: Forgeline, RideTech, Tremec, American Powertrain, Silver Sport Transmissions, GM Performance Parts, RECARO, Cerullo Seats, TMI Products, Vintage Air, Baer Brakes, Wilwood, BeCool, AFCO, Tanks Inc, Holley / Hooker, Ultimate Headers, Rick's Tanks, Moser Engineering, Currie, TechAFX, Stainless Works, II Much Fabrication, and many more

Mild necroposting but what is the maximum diameter of an Auto torque tube? Looking into if it would fit though the tunnel of my '64 Riviera's X-frame without cutting the frame open.

Thanks,
      Central TEXAS Sleeper
      Experimental Physicist

'64 Riviera T-type: 4.1L Buick Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 OBDII SEFI swap

ROA# 9790

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com