Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Visited the salvage yard today and...

My son and I visited the local salvage yard today and I found a few options for seats in my '68 Camaro. First was a G-6 Pontiac. These would have to be reupholstered because they were a little rough and I didn't like the black and red design.
      2nd was a 2010 Camaro SS black leather.
      3rd was a '07 Mustang GT. also black leather.
      Has anyone installed either of these in a first gen? The Mustang seats looked the best, and I was also looking to put (if I can get them to work) the back seats in as well. Just curious if these seat options were more pain than they're worth, or if they'll even fit Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

Country Flag: Canada

Visited the salvage yard today and...

Depends on how much you like your grinder, I'm building a 1936 chev truck and the seat that are going in it are from a Lincon Navigator so I'll have to make sliders. You'll have to as well, but look on the bright side it's never to early to teach your son to weld.

I wish I had salvage yards like you! The last Camaro I saw was a mid 90's V6, but there's plenty of Tauruses, and Grand Ams and other junk.

Just measure the width and see if they fit. The only think I don't like about newer seats in older cars is that the new seats are always so much thicker, and will cut into rear legroom, and just generally look overcramped to me, and most are too high-back of a look. The Camaro seat looks too tall for my likes, and the Mustang seats have too large a headrest IMO. I'd be curious how it looks with the foam cut down, or maybe no headrest at all.
      Josh Campbell- Pushing the limits of my HOA since 2011
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      82 Z28- cheapie beater, soon to get a 406.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

Josh, I agree with you on the Mustang seats. The head rest is too large and tilts too far forward for my likes. If I could take it off It would look better (to me). they seem small enough to not look so cumbersome in the Camaro. My wife has a '06 Gt but she won't let me have them... go figure. It looks like the rear seats might be made to work too. Like said above, depends on how much work I want to put into them I guess. Any other ideas?

Carl Wilson
      1968 Camaro - T-56 6 speed - 383 Stroker, 2014 Mustang GT seats. FiTech EFI, Tanks Inc. Tank with Deutschwerks fuel pump.

I'd be curious about removing the headrests altogether and reupholstering the seat, maybe with some better contours, it would a lot cleaner to not have a headrest I think. That's what I did on the 71 Chevelle I did last year. We had the TMI Sport R seats done and really liked the headrest-less look, so we left them off. Everyone liked the look that way. But a headrest is good for rear impact collision too, so there is that end (though the Chevelle headrest was so low for me, I don't think it ever got into my neck area). It wouldn't be hard to cut the foam on the Mustang headrest to something more flat, and maybe more resembling a 69 Camaro headrest. It wouldn't be as much something to rest your head on like the factory Mustang design, but will protect your neck in a rear end collision.

Me personally, for my 67 Camaro, I'm thinking of trying some 93-02 Firebird seats sans headrests. They are nice and small, with a nice bolster and a thin back, so they won't look too large.
      71 Firebird- 455, Ridetech front suspension. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...04#post1124504
      67 Camaro RS/SS clone, Speedtech front suspension, coilovers, soon to get LT1/T56.
      66 Mustang coupe- 393, T-5, sold. https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Coupe-GT393-C

I guess if I was intuitive enough I could take the Mustang head rests completely apart, and whittle on them until I had something I liked and then recover. I need to get out to my wife's Mustang and measure. I believe they would be a good fit by looking. I liked the Camaro seats as well, but this car was hit so hard in the front end it pushed the motor up under the dash and warped the floor pretty bad and that in turn bent the passenger side seat frame a lot.

Carl Wilson

I like this option. Cut the head rest down a little.

If you are going to cut it you might as well remove it. The purpose it to keep your body from moving out from beneath your stationary head in the event you are rear ended. Cutting it low just acts as a fulcrum for your neck to pivot backwards on.
      Has anyone really ever looked at someone's car and though "man, awesome car, but those headrests ruin it"?
      https://www.instagram.com/gen_v_lt1_chevelle/

Do not buy anything from Frankie's Used Auto Parts. Ever.
      Chevelle ̶a̶l̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶ L92/200-4r now Gen V LT1 and T56- https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...nvertible.html

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd71 View Post
      Has anyone really ever looked at someone's car and though "man, awesome car, but those headrests ruin it"?
      Actually... yeah, I have. I think a high back or tall headrest in anything prior to what came with a big headrest looks wrong, i.e. anything 69 or older. For the sake of safety, I am okay with a slim headrest though. And by cutting it back, I don't mean the height as much as the forward slant that is prominent in so many headrests. That's because in these applications they are designed more as a rest, where you don't have to tilt your head back much to contact them, versus the older type design where it's too far rearward to comfortably lean your head onto, but will catch your head in a rearend collision.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com